A guy who picked up Rugby with no experience....

Started by Tankie, July 14, 2009, 08:32:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roger

Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 15, 2009, 11:31:36 AM
In my rugby club the majority of GAA players never progress beyond J2 (intermediate B), yes they have good hands and a good kicking game (1st option is always to kick) but they have no understanding of the basic flow of the game, often do silly things, always get caught out of position and generally can't tackle for sh*t and certainly can't pass off both hands.
The laws of rugby are confusing to those who come to the game late.  To be fair they're pretty confusing even to many of those who have played it from an early age.  I recall playing in Ulster league J4 in a league game and we started 4 GAA players (1 winger, 1 centre, 1 blind-side and 1 second row) for their first game ever. Our warm up consisted of trying to teach them how to play, where to stand, and about the off-side law.  During the game the off-side law was blatantly breached by one of them and it left all the players on both sides and the referee bursting out laughing at one stage. I think that was the only time the culprit thought he was an "outsider" but by the end of the season he understood how mad activities in his first game were.  The player was from XMG Rangers and he was awarded "New Player of the Season" for the club and was very much part of the fabric of the place for a couple of seasons.

AbbeySider

Quote from: Tankie on July 15, 2009, 11:25:38 AM
Quote from: Roger on July 15, 2009, 11:10:40 AM
Quote from: Tankie on July 15, 2009, 11:00:16 AM
Quote from: Roger on July 15, 2009, 09:57:27 AM
Interesting post Abbeysider.  I reckon the Gaelic players' handling skills are superior generally.  Bound to be given the training they get from a young age.  Fitness levels depend on the level of rugby you are playing but I'd reckon at the equivalent level the Gaelic guys are probably fitter.  Surprised that you felt identified as different in a negative way or not a real rugby player somehow.  Most rugby clubs I'm aware of are pretty keen to get Gaelic players due to fitness and handling skills.

yeah i'd agree, surprised with that attitude but maybe the 'G4' attitude is a bit off, you hear similar attitude from some people in Dublin too but I wouldn't take it serious....i get alot of abuse for playing rugby but i dont take it too serious. you must be a bit more sensitive than me.
I don't really understand the G4, D4, West Brit thing.  Is that a class thing?  In NI there would be some clubs that would have members largely from a higher socio-economic group than others but I don't think there is an "attitude" towards players within a club. If you are part of the club you'll get banter about anything and everything but you'll be seen and treated as "one of us" regardless of what you get the bantered about.  I find that the sport and clubs by-and-large break down or at least dilute existing class barriers within society.  Btw, I don't think I'm that sensitive at all.

Sorry Roger I meant that i thought AbbeySider was a bit sensitive. As for the west brit thing i do not know where AbbeySider got that from, i do not know anyone involved in Rugby that does not see themselves as 100% Irish - since when do watching the Tudors make you a west-Brit?

I would also agree than once you join a team you do become 'one of us'. as i said there is always abuse flying but getting abuse over kicking a ball sounds a bit ridiculous and would have to question do those lads from AbbeySider's team actually know how rugby is played? a drop goal or a garryowen are key parts of the game.

My advice to AbbeySider would be join a new team as maybe some of the lads are just muppets - (or he is making the story up as I cannot see how anyone who plays rugby would give abuse about kick a drop goal - its 3 points for gods sake)

I dont know if im over sensitive but it got under my skin a bit. Between the accents, anti-gaa remarks I got a bit fed up.
I might add that the arrogance was from a very, very select few and the majority of guys were bang on.

I remember we went down to play a team in a neighbouring county. The same town is quite the Gaelic football stronghold. As we took the pitch before the warm-up the other team were all practising kicking drop goals and kicking the rugby ball around before their own warm-up.  

One of the coaches was put out by it and was saying thing like "fucxin gah players kicking the ball like their playing gah", "stupid gah boys cant play rugby". We ended up getting hammered because the other teams kicking game was way ahead of ours. When we did try and kick for touch or go for a garryowen we were fucked out of it for trying to kick against GAA players. Hypocritical really, and fairly annoying.

Tankie

Quote from: AbbeySider on July 15, 2009, 11:45:35 AM
Quote from: Tankie on July 15, 2009, 11:25:38 AM
Quote from: Roger on July 15, 2009, 11:10:40 AM
Quote from: Tankie on July 15, 2009, 11:00:16 AM
Quote from: Roger on July 15, 2009, 09:57:27 AM
Interesting post Abbeysider.  I reckon the Gaelic players' handling skills are superior generally.  Bound to be given the training they get from a young age.  Fitness levels depend on the level of rugby you are playing but I'd reckon at the equivalent level the Gaelic guys are probably fitter.  Surprised that you felt identified as different in a negative way or not a real rugby player somehow.  Most rugby clubs I'm aware of are pretty keen to get Gaelic players due to fitness and handling skills.

yeah i'd agree, surprised with that attitude but maybe the 'G4' attitude is a bit off, you hear similar attitude from some people in Dublin too but I wouldn't take it serious....i get alot of abuse for playing rugby but i dont take it too serious. you must be a bit more sensitive than me.
I don't really understand the G4, D4, West Brit thing.  Is that a class thing?  In NI there would be some clubs that would have members largely from a higher socio-economic group than others but I don't think there is an "attitude" towards players within a club. If you are part of the club you'll get banter about anything and everything but you'll be seen and treated as "one of us" regardless of what you get the bantered about.  I find that the sport and clubs by-and-large break down or at least dilute existing class barriers within society.  Btw, I don't think I'm that sensitive at all.

Sorry Roger I meant that i thought AbbeySider was a bit sensitive. As for the west brit thing i do not know where AbbeySider got that from, i do not know anyone involved in Rugby that does not see themselves as 100% Irish - since when do watching the Tudors make you a west-Brit?

I would also agree than once you join a team you do become 'one of us'. as i said there is always abuse flying but getting abuse over kicking a ball sounds a bit ridiculous and would have to question do those lads from AbbeySider's team actually know how rugby is played? a drop goal or a garryowen are key parts of the game.

My advice to AbbeySider would be join a new team as maybe some of the lads are just muppets - (or he is making the story up as I cannot see how anyone who plays rugby would give abuse about kick a drop goal - its 3 points for gods sake)

I dont know if im over sensitive but it got under my skin a bit. Between the accents, anti-gaa remarks I got a bit fed up.
I might add that the arrogance was from a very, very select few and the majority of guys were bang on.

I remember we went down to play a team in a neighbouring county. The same town is quite the Gaelic football stronghold. As we took the pitch before the warm-up the other team were all practising kicking drop goals and kicking the rugby ball around before their own warm-up.  

One of the coaches was put out by it and was saying thing like "fucxin gah players kicking the ball like their playing gah", "stupid gah boys cant play rugby". We ended up getting hammered because the other teams kicking game was way ahead of ours. When we did try and kick for touch or go for a garryowen we were fucked out of it for trying to kick against GAA players. Hypocritical really, and fairly annoying.

I must say that the club sounds like the most retarded rugby club in the world. but getting upset about peoples accents is a little sensitive, as for the anti-gaa remark if they are not in good humor they are probably clowns anyway.

it sounds like you enjoyed playing so I would recommend just changing club if there is another one close to you
Grand Slam Saturday!

ziggysego

I know from my cousin's experience, he found it very easy to get on with the rugby boys on his team. He was the only catholic person / from a nationalist background and it never presented any problems between the them. He said they were the best of lads. A lot of banter about the 'gah' and equally he would throw back the 'silly season'.
Testing Accessibility

Roger

Quote from: Tankie on July 15, 2009, 01:44:52 PMI must say that the club sounds like the most retarded rugby club in the world.
Agree. I've never heard any derogatory remarks about Gaelic football players wrt ability and where they've learnt any bad habits. Quite the opposite in fact.  There used to be some observations made about the way they kicked the ball but it wasn't derogatory and would be an observation towards anyone who kicked a ball funny. The modern method of kicking a rugby ball is a lot more suitable to GAA players.  The only thing that is noticable about players from a GAA background is that they wear their socks round their ankles which wouldn't be the norm for rugby players. Hardly an offense mind.

Quote from: ziggysego on July 15, 2009, 01:54:59 PM
I know from my cousin's experience, he found it very easy to get on with the rugby boys on his team. He was the only catholic person / from a nationalist background and it never presented any problems between the them. He said they were the best of lads. A lot of banter about the 'gah' and equally he would throw back the 'silly season'.
I always thought Omagh Accies was a fairly mixed set-up.  I worked in Omagh for 2 years and knew a few boys from that club and it seemed to be quite mixed to me.  They all seemed to be big culchies though  :)

ziggysego

Quote from: Roger on July 15, 2009, 02:05:11 PM
Quote from: ziggysego on July 15, 2009, 01:54:59 PM
I always thought Omagh Accies was a fairly mixed set-up.  I worked in Omagh for 2 years and knew a few boys from that club and it seemed to be quite mixed to me.  They all seemed to be big culchies though  :)

Well at his level, it was just him. Actually no, there was a Catholic they got from New Zealand over to play with them. All big culchies though, so I'll give you that  :D
Testing Accessibility

Gnevin

Quote from: Rav67 on July 15, 2009, 12:40:04 AM
Quote from: Gnevin on July 15, 2009, 12:16:48 AM
Quote from: Rav67 on July 15, 2009, 12:04:04 AM
Quote from: Tankie on July 14, 2009, 08:32:39 PM
I was looking through the rugby section and boards and found a very interesting post:

:D
To think you and Glasnevin go an about soccer fans starting shit/pointless threads!

I agree this 1 rugby thread on page one is far to many we should start a other sports section .  ;)

Just had to laugh at the description of this as "very interesting."  Some fella trying to make a few mates in a new city and he's decided to post up a blog about it.  Very 2009.  Maybe everyone on the board can start posting up a wee diary for all the teams they're involved with-  Can't imagaine youse 2 being too happy if the team in question is Blanchardstown Rovers (I hope there is a soccer team called that) rather than Stillorgan RFC!
Why would I be unhappy if it was a Soccer team? I've no issue with soccer . I  just don't enjoy it and would prefer if the constant soccer threads and other sports threads where in a other section .
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

rosnarun

when i was at college The rugby team were short of a prop and as i am bigger than your average bear was asked stand in . we had one training session  and 2 days later dispite only ever having played football before  i scrummed down against NIHE- DCU we won and got all the way to the allireland final of the cup (which was non uni 3rd level' where we were hammered by Plassey as thery were knowmn at the time now a joint nihe/thomand team .
point it it was a piece of piss no skill required just be stong enough to hold your ground and not go off side.
it truly is a game for  big Stong unskilled morons but  morons just the same .
it no surprise that sheep farmers of nz,  Boers and limerick people seem to be well disposed to the game
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Roger

Quote from: rosnarun on July 16, 2009, 01:42:13 AMpoint it it was a piece of piss no skill required just be stong enough to hold your ground and not go off side.
it no surprise that sheep farmers of nz,  Boers and limerick people seem to be well disposed to the game
There's certainlya position for everyone and I think it's a bit more tricky at a decent level than you describe.  Like your style though  :D

Tankie

Quote from: rosnarun on July 16, 2009, 01:42:13 AM
when i was at college The rugby team were short of a prop and as i am bigger than your average bear was asked stand in . we had one training session  and 2 days later dispite only ever having played football before  i scrummed down against NIHE- DCU we won and got all the way to the allireland final of the cup (which was non uni 3rd level' where we were hammered by Plassey as thery were knowmn at the time now a joint nihe/thomand team .
point it it was a piece of piss no skill required just be stong enough to hold your ground and not go off side.

It looks like the Mayo footballers have the same recruitment policy...whe are they ever gonna teach them how to score under pressure  :D
Grand Slam Saturday!

rosnarun

Quote from: Tankie on July 16, 2009, 12:01:18 PM

It looks like the Mayo footballers have the same recruitment policy...whe are they ever gonna teach them how to score under pressure  :D
have you ever been in scrum? esp front row. the one good thing is it gives you a chance to decide whether or not you like a 6" 5 ' tall mans hand between your legs grabbing furiously and pushng hard. sorts out all those issues.
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Main Street

I was at a Tech for a couple of years, they had a rugby team, (the business studies course  ;D)
Mostly guys who had come through the rugby secondary schools.
They were stuck for a few players to make up a team for 4 challenge games. Some of the GAA team were drafted in.
I can´t say I made a good first impression, I was last out of the dressing room and ran on to the wrong pitch. (3/4 blind without glasses) . I could see in the distance, blurry figures waving hands shouting - OVER HERE YOU .....(various words).

I had learned some of the basics at secondary school and did okay, but what do you do after you scoop he ball out of the sky in a lineout?
We had a constant constant stream of instructions from about 20 on the sidelines. Good experience overall and well appreciated by the team.
At the time, after being thrown straight  into 4 games,  I thought reaching  that standard  of rugby was dooable if you were prepared to work hard at learning the basics.
But how good you'd be at it is another question.
To reverse the situation, there was only one (what I would call)  decent footballer on the team, a pin up kid at full back called Hugo, he went on to greater things in Rugby but I have no doubt he would have made a class GAA footballer. in the mold of Anthony Lynch.

Tankie

Quote from: rosnarun on July 16, 2009, 12:42:02 PM
Quote from: Tankie on July 16, 2009, 12:01:18 PM

have you ever been in scrum? esp front row. the one good thing is it gives you a chance to decide whether or not you like a 6" 5 ' tall mans hand between your legs grabbing furiously and pushng hard. sorts out all those issues.

when playing a poor team yes you can get away with alot but if you played front row and came up against someone with experience you could get destroyed, rugby is like any sport, if the opposition is poor you will be fine but once you come up against someone who knows the correct technique (esp in the front row) you could be turned into a penalty machine or just pushed around the park
Grand Slam Saturday!

Roger

Quote from: Tankie on July 16, 2009, 02:46:55 PM
when playing a poor team yes you can get away with alot but if you played front row and came up against someone with experience you could get destroyed, rugby is like any sport, if the opposition is poor you will be fine but once you come up against someone who knows the correct technique (esp in the front row) you could be turned into a penalty machine or just pushed around the park
As veteran international prop Phil Vickery recently found out in humiliating fashion.

Tankie

Quote from: Roger on July 16, 2009, 02:57:54 PM
Quote from: Tankie on July 16, 2009, 02:46:55 PM
As veteran international prop Phil Vickery recently found out in humiliating fashion.

I really felt sorry for Phil that day...i think the ref was poor though as the beast was not going in straight imo
Grand Slam Saturday!