Cork v Galway - Saturday 18th July 2009

Started by orangeman, July 13, 2009, 01:04:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mid Down Gael

Great to see them cork striking tramps beat.

Reillers

The better team won today and fair play to them for that and I genuinely hope they go on to win it. That Galway team would have wanted to beat us if they had any sort of expectation to go on and win. Cork could have won today if we finished the goal chances (Niall McCarthy is so far his best at this stage, I don't even know why he was on the pitch) anyone else, and I mean anyone else could have burried that, and they could beat Waterford but at the end of the day it's been 10 years now almost. This teams is finished now and I expect and almost hope a clear out. I thought it was a poor selection to begin with, but I think Walsh just wanted this season over with tbh. He had no time with the team, not enough time at all really. There are players there that can be excellent IC players, but they need time.
Next season will be interesting all right.

A lot of our mistakes were our own fault, indiscipline, poor decision making, poor form..etc. And we could have won, and we probably could have kept going and beat Waterford-Mullane. But it wouldn't have been fair. Galway winning was just and the right thing for the Championship, like I said, Cork could have kept going but it would have been just scrapping by, Galway though, they're genuine contenders and I genuinely hope they go on to win it.

INDIANA

Will take 2-3 years to rebuild the Cork team. The question is whether Walsh will get that sort of time. Cork are notoriously short on patience

020304 Tir Eoghain

Quote from: INDIANA on July 18, 2009, 11:54:28 PM
Will take 2-3 years to rebuild the Cork team. The question is whether Walsh will get that sort of time. Cork are notoriously short on patience

Well, he'll either be given time, or the Rebels will go on strike again :'(
Tír Éoghain '03, '05, '08.

Reillers

Walsh will get time, I think it wont be next season, it'll be the one after that before we'll get going. What I would prefer to see is confidence in the young lads. I mean Sully Og was shot on confidence, he'd nothing and no one was going over and putting their arm around him, giving him a pat on the back..etc.
Walsh is a smart man, I don't understand the team selection he made today but at the end of the day he went for experience over what most thought was the better players.

And you know you've got people coming in here giving grief about the strike and all that, most who know anything about it knows it was purely about the CCB, and I'm not going into that again.

These guys gave 10 years of outstanding service on the field and were for a while the best team and players in the country, but God forbid they get credit for that, instead you've bitter individuals whining about something that they clearly didn't understand, and obviously never will.

milltown row

Quote from: mckieran on July 18, 2009, 11:09:43 PM
Why would we meet Kilkenny in the semi final? I thought this would be avoided as we already played them. Why is it alredy determined that the winners of Galway - Waterford play Kilkenny?

I listened to the RTE analysis of a hurling match for the first time this year. Thought Paul Flynn was excellent on it. When asked if he was happy with Waterfords tactics, he didnt beat around the bush! And gave a detailed anser with specifics (Other anaylsts take note!). Also, Did anyone notice what Michael Duignan was doing when Lyster asked him a question just after the end of the first half? Looked like a student who just got caught not paying attention!

his phone went off during the show and he tried to get it off. they were laughing at him sure. he lost all concentration

milltown row

yes they were the best team for a while christ I've watched them compete many a final at Croke against Kilkenny. but for a lot Reillers the strikes have been an annoyance. try being a manger yourself someday. a senior manager and players turn round and don't give you credit or back ya up. I'd say your views will change

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Reillers on July 19, 2009, 12:05:46 AM

Walsh will get time, I think it wont be next season, it'll be the one after that before we'll get going. What I would prefer to see is confidence in the young lads. I mean Sully Og was shot on confidence, he'd nothing and no one was going over and putting their arm around him, giving him a pat on the back..etc.
Walsh is a smart man, I don't understand the team selection he made today but at the end of the day he went for experience over what most thought was the better players.

And you know you've got people coming in here giving grief about the strike and all that, most who know anything about it knows it was purely about the CCB, and I'm not going into that again.

These guys gave 10 years of outstanding service on the field and were for a while the best team and players in the country, but God forbid they get credit for that, instead you've bitter individuals whining about something that they clearly didn't understand, and obviously never will.
I think the antics of the past few years has sullied any positive memories people have of Donal Og etc. I think of him as a **** now rather than a Cork stalwart, great goalkeeper and All Ireland winner. I'd say I'm not alone.

Reillers

Quote from: milltown row on July 19, 2009, 12:11:08 AM
yes they were the best team for a while christ I've watched them compete many a final at Croke against Kilkenny. but for a lot Reillers the strikes have been an annoyance. try being a manger yourself someday. a senior manager and players turn round and don't give you credit or back ya up. I'd say your views will change

Annoying, try being from Cork. It was never about the managers in the 3 strikes, it was never really about Gerald either, it was a massive underlining issue that had nearly every club in Cork rebel against their CB. But like I said, most should know the story by now and if you don't understand it by now you never will. But I'm not getting into it now.

Reillers

Quote from: Tony Baloney on July 19, 2009, 12:27:13 AM
Quote from: Reillers on July 19, 2009, 12:05:46 AM

I think the antics of the past few years has sullied any positive memories people have of Donal Og etc. I think of him as a **** now rather than a Cork stalwart, great goalkeeper and All Ireland winner. I'd say I'm not alone.

And again anohter complete misunderstood player. He felt the exact same as all the other Cork players, yet he gets the blame, he gets all the grief. It's not right.
Last season, after the Kilkenny game, I don't know if you have seen it, never mind remember it, but after the Kilkenny loss, the final whistle went, the young McGarry lad went over to Donal Og and he just gave him his jersey, and it was caught on camera, they named it as one of the moments of the Championship.
He has also coached up in Newry for the past few years. He spent about an hour or so after the Dublin game last season just siging autographs..etc. People despise him, but why, he does no more then Ben or Jerry or any of the GPA lads. Just because he reads a statement that was prepared by all of them, he's the bad guy?

Tony Baloney

Yes exactly for that reason. He's the one sitting beside Dessie, unshaven with a sullen expression making grave threats. My point above still stands, I'm sure he is a decent enough lad away from the furore that surrounds him but his demeanour brings negative thoughts about him. He, like the GPA, are in desperate need of a PR makeover. Unfortunately any PR makeover of the GPA would result in Dessie etc. being given the line.

Reillers

Quote from: Tony Baloney on July 19, 2009, 12:44:12 AM
Yes exactly for that reason. He's the one sitting beside Dessie, unshaven with a sullen expression making grave threats. My point above still stands, I'm sure he is a decent enough lad away from the furore that surrounds him but his demeanour brings negative thoughts about him. He, like the GPA, are in desperate need of a PR makeover. Unfortunately any PR makeover of the GPA would result in Dessie etc. being given the line.

He needs a massive "PR makeover" as do the GPA. They do a lot of good work as well which people forget. He gets a lot of grief, underserving at times. One of the main reasons Cork went on to beat Galway last year, they did it for him.

deiseach

Quote from: Reillers on July 19, 2009, 12:51:04 AM
One of the main reasons Cork went on to beat Galway last year, they did it for him.

So what are we to read in to the fact that they didn't do it for him this year?

Reillers

Quote from: deiseach on July 19, 2009, 01:10:10 AM
Quote from: Reillers on July 19, 2009, 12:51:04 AM
One of the main reasons Cork went on to beat Galway last year, they did it for him.

So what are we to read in to the fact that they didn't do it for him this year?

This season they weren't the better team. And they weren't highly motivated after seeing him sent off.

I can't tell though, are you acting like an idiot or just trying to stirr?

deiseach

Quote from: mckieran on July 18, 2009, 11:09:43 PM
Why would we meet Kilkenny in the semi final? I thought this would be avoided as we already played them. Why is it alredy determined that the winners of Galway - Waterford play Kilkenny?

I don't think it is. If Waterford win they have to play Kilkenny because they can't meet Tipp. If Galway win and Dublin win then I presume Galway play Kilkenny because they wouldn't want Kilkenny meeting Dublin in consecutive games. If Galway and Limerick win then Galway play Tipp.