Wicklow v Down. Aughrim 3pm Saturday. Live on RTE

Started by Trevor Hill, July 12, 2009, 06:54:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fred the red

I thought Glynn and Hannon had a good game for Wicklow.

INDIANA

Hard to know where Down go after that. Carr will surely go but Down remind me of Laois- can't translate underage form into senior success. Great day for Wicklow - possibly an all time low for Down. If Wicklow got the likes of Limerick they'f fancy their chances bigtime.

orangeman

Quote from: laoisgaa on July 18, 2009, 04:41:06 PM
QuoteYip, they have a great manager 

A manager by the name of Arthur French which everyone seems to forget - Micko is only there in an advisory capacity

Looks like he is a good advisor then.

I thought he was manager ????? No ??

D4S

Couldn't get to the game with work! Exciting stuff heart in mouth stuff!

At least they went down fighting, you couldn't call it a lacklustre display, wicklow's workrate was phenomenal...got the feeling the whole way through the game it wasn't goin to be Down's day, certain breaks of the ball and decisions seemed to go wicklow's way.  However I have to add we had many chances goals + point chances to win the game!  Fella's tried hard and there was a gameplan+workrate which was missing in enniskillen.  Hard luck lads, but back to the drawing board for next year again.
The secret of success in life is for a man to be ready for his opportunity when it comes.

Jinxy

Some nonsense being talked about the effectiveness of Mickos conditioning regime.
Wait till they come up against a team with a bit of pace and power.
They'll be blown out of the water.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

corn02

Very enjoyable game, and will deflate a few Down posters who came out of the woodwork recently.

Both sides kicked good scores.

Down had four changes in their back six from Fermanagh, the lack of a settled side has been a major contributor.

McComiskey could have had  a couple of goals if he had of kept his composure.

orangeman

Quote from: Jinxy on July 18, 2009, 04:52:15 PM
Some nonsense being talked about the effectiveness of Mickos conditioning regime.

You are right but they are already punching ay above their weight.

And remember they beat Kildare last year who had a bit of pace and power.

mountainboii

Down definitely got shafted a couple of times by the ref there, that said they got a free that probably should've won it for them from a pretty blatant dive.

Enjoyable enough game though, despite having to listen to rent-a-cliché Martin Carney constantly getting the names of players, teams and places wrong and generally talking complete nonsense.

Jinxy

Quote from: orangeman on July 18, 2009, 04:55:00 PM

You are right but they are already punching ay above their weight.

And remember they beat Kildare last year who had a bit of pace and power.

Not back then they didn't.
Geezer was only getting started with them.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Main Street

Big day for Wicklow football
and fxck the Micko begrudgers.

Would have left a bit of a bad taste if Down got it with that over elaborate reaction to win that free.
Great effort by both teams, kept up a championship level of intensity throughout.

Mid Down Gael

Down had enough chances to win that game. Im cannot believe the subsitution off Timmy Hanna. totally wrong.  Its a bad day when Down loose to Wicklow in the championship but fair play to the garden county and Micko.

Hardy

Timekeeping is a joke, though, with referees afraid to blow the whistle during play, even after time is up. But giving a 45 to the home team a minute and a half after time up is a new low. I'm amazed the Down people are not sitting on the pitch. Maybe they are - there's only about fifteen of them there, by the sound ofit.

Bud Wiser

The Wicklow lads gave interviews after the game. Great game.
" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

corn02

I detest a disliking?

Doesn't matter what happens from here on in, they have been brilliant.

Antrim, Wicklow, Limerick and possibly Sligo in last 12 - all in or out of Div 4 this year, great stuff.

After a horrible start the Championship is turning into a very good one.

INDIANA

Quote from: Hardy on July 18, 2009, 05:06:14 PM
Timekeeping is a joke, though, with referees afraid to blow the whistle during play, even after time is up. But giving a 45 to the home team a minute and a half after time up is a new low. I'm amazed the Down people are not sitting on the pitch. Maybe they are - there's only about fifteen of them there, by the sound ofit.

Had 4 chances to win it Hardy though. Down lost that game themselves. They struggle badly in the backs- especially in the half backs today. Gordon has no real partner. they have good forwards though and they just short passed the ball playing with the wind.
Root and branch analysis required in Down football.

Couple of very soft draws in the quarter finals for the big guns.