Teacher attacks pupil

Started by corn02, July 10, 2009, 10:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ONeill

Quote from: bcarrier on July 10, 2009, 03:31:23 PM

He will lose his job ( probably picking up a compo package as the school put him in the situation ) but I dont think the guy will get jail. He had been off school stressed and was clearly provoked . I presume in the age of white boards the art of duster/ chalk throwing has died out ?

Haven't used a duster/chalk in about 5 years. Tis all markers now. SS2 never used one. He just presses a button.

In England, we weren't allowed to call it a blackboard in mixed race schools.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

StGallsGAA

So you don't tnhink he was coked off his tits like most teachers nowadays?

Over the Bar

Can't understand why the police in high-profile cases like these always weigh in with the charge of murder or in this case attempted murder.  Anyone can see theres no pre-meditation so it's almost guaranteed to be reduced to attempted manslaughter or less when the whole hullaballo dies down.

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: Over the Bar on July 11, 2009, 08:58:52 PM
Can't understand why the police in high-profile cases like these always weigh in with the charge of murder or in this case attempted murder.  Anyone can see theres no pre-meditation so it's almost guaranteed to be reduced to attempted manslaughter or less when the whole hullaballo dies down.

Well its the PPS (or CPS in England) who make the decision on what the charge should be. Would agree that they often tend to go too "high" though the defence has the ability to get a charge struck out before trial if there isn't sufficient evidence to substantiate it. You have to remember though that there can be outrage from the victim's family if they don't feel the proper charge has been put or indeed if the accused ends up pleading to a lesser charge - look at the Harry Holland case in Belfast a week or so again.

You don't actually need any "pre-meditation" for a murder charge, in that there doesn't have to have been any formal plan, a spur of the moment decision to hit somebody over the head with a sledgehammer would be murder if they died. Not sure there is a charge of attempted manslaughter. I'd say grevious bodily harm is what he's most likely to end up convicted of unless the prosecution can proove he intended to kill the child which is likely to be very difficult.

Seen today that they didn't apply for bail. Strange one that. May well be planning to plead guilty and just wants the jail time count to start as soon as possible.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

RadioGAAGAA

The wee f**ker wasn't slapped for doing his homework....

Far too many kids get away with anything these days, and idiots for parents wheel in behind them and defend them....

If a teacher had got back to my lot about me misbehaving, I'd have got a slap when I got home just to make sure I got the message! Did me no harm at all.
i usse an speelchekor

Minder

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on July 11, 2009, 09:40:31 PM

Far too many kids get away with anything these days, and idiots for parents wheel in behind them and defend them....

If a teacher had got back to my lot about me misbehaving, I'd have got a slap when I got home just to make sure I got the message! Did me no harm at all.
[/b] That is open to debate
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on July 11, 2009, 09:40:31 PM

Big difference betwen a slap and getting hit in the head with a metal weight.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

Minder

Has there been an Exclusive with the pupils parents in the Sun yet?
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: Minder on July 11, 2009, 10:27:11 PM
That is open to debate

Yes, cos you know me.  ::)

Allegedly the kid told the teacher to "f**k off and have another stroke"....
i usse an speelchekor

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on July 11, 2009, 10:29:34 PM
Big difference betwen a slap and getting hit in the head with a metal weight.

True.

I reckon a bit of a slap now and then would nip half this shit in the bud, and over the top things like this would never happen as the kids could never build up the same friction.
i usse an speelchekor

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Take Your Points on July 11, 2009, 11:00:41 PM
Sympathy for both sides.

Schools must be places where children are safe and parents can expect that no intentional harm will come to them.

Teachers also need protection.  Teaching is becoming one of the most stressful jobs and this poor man has obviously cracked under the pressure he felt.  40 years is a long time to work in the classroom and this poor man was suffering after around 25 years.
As a "sir" for so long you must have seen the balance of power shift, from that of the once respected teacher, to that of the rights of the child. In itself no bad thing, but I think the shift has gone too far in one direction. My wife is a teacher among her many complaints (she is a woman and a teacher after all ;)) is that schools are now almost powerless in rooting out bad eggs and excluding them, and also the fact that parents back up their children no matter what situation they have been involved in. Maybe children are more manipulative than they once were...

pintsofguinness

QuoteIn itself no bad thing, but I think the shift has gone too far in one direction.

Agree with that.  Don't think a teacher should ever be allowed to touch a pupil though but if they're unmanageable they should be excluded, end of story.  Problem is a lot of parents have no control over their children and arent interested in controling them, they think it should be up to someone else. 

Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: Tony Baloney on July 11, 2009, 11:51:52 PM
and also the fact that parents back up their children no matter what situation they have been involved in.

Thats probably the biggest problem.

If I stepped out of line in school, chances are I'd get a slap when I got home just to make sure I learned my lesson.

Now its more likely the parents would be straight in to argue with the teacher.
i usse an speelchekor

Maguire01

I'm surprised that no one has yet been offended that it's called a Roman Catholic School.  :P

But to the story itself - yes the teacher will have to go. You can't be in that job if you can't control yourself, even under provocation. It's not a job I could do myself.

saffron sam2

Quote from: ONeill on July 10, 2009, 09:57:06 PM
Quote from: bcarrier on July 10, 2009, 03:31:23 PM

He will lose his job ( probably picking up a compo package as the school put him in the situation ) but I dont think the guy will get jail. He had been off school stressed and was clearly provoked . I presume in the age of white boards the art of duster/ chalk throwing has died out ?

Haven't used a duster/chalk in about 5 years. Tis all markers now. SS2 never used one. He just presses a button.

In England, we weren't allowed to call it a blackboard in mixed race schools.

Certainly not any more. The Fujitsu Lifebook and wireless data projector have rendered the humble white board marker redundant throughout most of our school.

With the exception of the Media Studies department it would appear.

As for the case in question, I fear the teacher may have over-reacted slightly.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet