“The Chickens Came Home to Roost”

Started by ziggysego, July 10, 2009, 01:56:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

orangeman

The GPA want 5%

The GAA won't give anybody a %.

So that's the end of the story - either the GPA agree to come under the umbrella organisation or else they'll have to move along.

Simple really.

behind the wire

Quote from: DUBSFORSAM1 on July 10, 2009, 04:05:45 PM
So lets make sure all administrators, managers, physio's, officials etc are all amateurs then if the feeling is that it is such an amateur organisation and a privilidge to belong to....Lets let the players do whatever they want in regards to training/drinking holidaying etc and not maky any comments about performances etc...

Are you Dessie Farrell?

in relation to the points you make:

1. managers should not be paid, end of story. yes it is the elephant in the room but it should not be happening. Many of those on this board share this view.

2. Physios work with GAA in the course of their employment. they do not carry out their work because they gain enjoyment for it. they spend 5 years at university study to become a physio in order to make a living. voluntary physios aren't an option im afraid.

3. Officials are paid only where necessary. In years gone by administration was much easier. nowadays with such a high quality operation running in croke park which we are all proud of (stadium/museum/retaurant) it is not feasible for this to be left solely to amateurs. couple this with insurance dealings/ the fact that most matches are now all ticket i could safely say that full time administrators is well justified.
We must remember that administrators are hired in order for us players to enjoy playing the games.

AND FINALLY

i am proud to be part of the gaa just as you say. i am proud of its amateur ethos and proud of the place it has within the communities of ireland. if dessie farrell wants to be part of a professional sport hes barking up the wrong tree with the gaa no matter how hard he tries to justify it.
He who laughs last thinks the slowest

Rossfan

Quote from: rosnarun on July 10, 2009, 05:06:26 PM

About as intelligent as your own statement - Play the ball please Rosnarun
merely a use of sarcasm highlighting both groups claim of ownership of the GAA, I am sorry if this offened you . would you like a warning in a  PM 24  hours before my next use of such rhetorical devices

[/quote]

Ahh jasus Rosnarun ya didnt expect them Nordie lads would understand our culture in the West of never taking ourselves too seriously. ;D ;D
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

rosnarun

QuoteI wish the GPA would just feck away off.

just say it 3 times and click your heels

If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

bigpaul

After reading that press release and a few of the comments afterwards some points come to mind.
Some posters have praised how well written and thought out it is, Hiro Hito ffs-I can see the smart alec comments and derision, had a GPA press release contained a similar line.
The press release states that the GPA want 5% of the GAA's gross income.This is not true,the GPA have asked for 5% of the GAA's commercial income.
They mention figures on team holidays.How many county teams go on holidays every year.Has Club Tyrone ever sent the Tyrone hurlers on a holiday to Dubai or The Carribean,and if they did,did they give each player £3,000 spending money?
They talk a lot about elitism.Sport by it's very nature is elitist!Organisations like Club Tyrone promote elitism!
Who are 'Of One Belief',would they not be in contravention of Rule 20? If they disbanded last year where do their press releases come from?

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: bigpaul on July 11, 2009, 12:19:58 AM
The press release states that the GPA want 5% of the GAA's gross income.This is not true,the GPA have asked for 5% of the GAA's commercial income.
So that's all right then? Just to be a little bit professional?

They mention figures on team holidays.How many county teams go on holidays every year.Has Club Tyrone ever sent the Tyrone hurlers on a holiday to Dubai or The Carribean,and if they did,did they give each player £3,000 spending money?
Yes, counties have done it, but through voluntary contributions, not siphoning off funds from HQ at the point of a (figurative) gun. And I (amongst many others) have been very glad to voluntarily contribute.

They talk a lot about elitism.Sport by it's very nature is elitist!Organisations like Club Tyrone promote elitism!
Amateur elitists. And there is nothing wrong with that. Once it becomes a mandatory requirement I think you will find that they may not be that elite for too much longer.

Who are 'Of One Belief',would they not be in contravention of Rule 20?
No, they wouldn't be.

If they disbanded last year where do their press releases come from?
They're amateur, therefore they don't need an organisation on perpetual paid standby.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

INDIANA

After reading that press release and a few of the comments afterwards some points come to mind.
Some posters have praised how well written and thought out it is, Hiro Hito ffs-I can see the smart alec comments and derision, had a GPA press release contained a similar line.
Who are 'Of One Belief',would they not be in contravention of Rule 20? If they disbanded last year where do their press releases come from?

Define commerical? Can mean anything from gate receipts to sponsorship. Like most things with the GPA - ambiguous at best.

Most teams that are successful get a holiday. The idea that failure should be promoted with an annual junket in my view is inherently wrong.

Most amateur sports have an elite element. ie " the best". Rowing, handball, triathletes, boxers - etc etc . Whats your point?

bigpaul

On the first point,it was inaccurate and misleading.The difference is massive.
On the second point, it was put across in the press release in a way to give the impression that all county teams are given a free holiday every year.Once again,how many are?
On the third point,  Mandatoryelitists?????
On the fourth point, why would 'Of One Belief' not be in contravention of Rule 20 while the GPA are?
On the last point,if an organisation or grouping are disbanded they no longer exist,if they no longer exist how can they issue a press release?  Maybe they are a self appointed grouping who can come and go as it suits.

bigpaul

Quote from: INDIANA on July 11, 2009, 12:45:22 AM

Define commerical? Can mean anything from gate receipts to sponsorship. Like most things with the GPA - ambiguous at best.

Most teams that are successful get a holiday. The idea that failure should be promoted with an annual junket in my view is inherently wrong.

Most amateur sports have an elite element. ie " the best". Rowing, handball, triathletes, boxers - etc etc . Whats your point?
Gate receipts aren't commercial revenue.
Your statement on holidays illustrates the hypocrisy surrounding this whole issue.
As I said before,sport by it's very nature is elitist,it is all about finding the best in a given discipline.'Of One Belief' use the term 'elitist' in a way so as to discredit the GPA.

INDIANA

It's not inaccurate whatsoever on the first point- commercial income means all income derived from your properties. Now define that one for me. You don't seem to see that the GPA fully intend for it to be interpreted any bloody way they like. If they wanted 5% of TV Revenue- they would say 5% of TV Revenue. So get out of that one Perry.
Quite a number get team holidays even for mediocrity.
Elitist sport doesn't mean being paid. As I've said below. All amateur sports have an elite level. So again I can't see your point on that.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: bigpaul on July 11, 2009, 12:58:26 AM
On the first point,it was inaccurate and misleading.The difference is massive.
Not sure what you mean here, but any guaranteed pro rata income (5% commercial, gross, net, whatever, and there are massive differences involved) is professionalism, if that's what you want fair enough, but the GAA is not the place for that particular mindset.

On the second point, it was put across in the press release in a way to give the impression that all county teams are given a free holiday every year.Once again,how many are?

So what, what's your point? If the respective County Boards can afford it, then so what... they still do not demand central monies as of a right.

On the third point,  Mandatoryelitists?????
What do you call professional sportsmen, i.e., 5K per week soccer players? It's not like their employers have the opt-out clause of not paying them.

On the fourth point, why would 'Of One Belief' not be in contravention of Rule 20 while the GPA are?
Can you explain how the 'Of One Belief' group could possibly be in contravention of Rule 20? The onus is on you to prove or demonstrate violation, not on the group to prove innocence since the OOB grouping are not hostile to the interests of the GAA in any way, quite the reverse. As for the GPA, I don't see how you can draw parallels.

On the last point,if an organisation or grouping are disbanded they no longer exist,if they no longer exist how can they issue a press release?  Maybe they are a self appointed grouping who can come and go as it suits.

The GAA is all about grassroots, not about organisations that must exist in order to voice an opinion - and if they manage to get a press release into the mainstream then so what?

bigpaul

As I said before, gate receipts aren't commercial revenue!In no way could the term 'commercial revenue' be taken to mean 'the GAA'S income'!
Outside the All-Ireland winners in 2008, how many county teams were taken on all-expenses paid holidays?Were the Christy Ring,Lory Meagher or Tommy Murphy Cup winners taken on holiday?If they weren't why was the figure for the team holiday included inthe press release?

bigpaul

Fear,the term 'gross revenue' means all the money the the GAA takes in every year,it is different to 'commercial revenue'.A football club's sponsorship is 'commercial revenue', their gate receipts and lotto sales etc. are not, the difference is massive and the term 'gross revenue' in the press release is inaccurate and misleading and possibly even mischievous!
You seem to take it as fact that the GPA are 'hostile to the interests of the GAA',I don't think they are.As you said I don't think it is up to the grouping to prove their innocence.

LaurelEye

Quote from: bigpaul on July 11, 2009, 01:43:51 AM
Fear,the term 'gross revenue' means all the money the the GAA takes in every year,it is different to 'commercial revenue'.A football club's sponsorship is 'commercial revenue', their gate receipts and lotto sales etc. are not, the difference is massive and the term 'gross revenue' in the press release is inaccurate and misleading and possibly even mischievous!
You seem to take it as fact that the GPA are 'hostile to the interests of the GAA',I don't think they are.As you said I don't think it is up to the grouping to prove their innocence.

Sigh:

QuoteThe main stumbling block is the association's refusal to accept the GPA's demand for five per cent of the GAA's commercial income from gate receipts, TV revenue and sponsorship.

http://www.independent.ie/breaking-news/sport/gaelic-football/gpas-tv-boycott-set-to-continue-1803336.html

(Irish Independent, 2nd July)

QuoteIn addition to this monthly payment, the GPA would expect such an agreement to include a commitment by the association to provide the GPA with 5pc of its gross income from all gate receipts, sponsorship and broadcast/media revenue.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-football/gaa-how-we-got-to-this-point--on-formal-recognition-1813403.html

(GAA statement quoted in Irish Independent, 9th July)

QuoteHowever, yesterday's public demand for five per cent of the GAA's commercial income – which Farrell said "revolves around gate receipts, TV rights, and the sponsorship monies" – will cause plenty of talk.

http://www.irishnews.com/articles/597/5776/2009/7/3/621677_3864822913308216We.html

(Irish News, 3rd July)

Come back when you've got a clue as to what you're talking about.
Leader Cup winners: 1945, 1947, 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 2013, 2016, 2017, 2019, 2021, 2023.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: bigpaul on July 11, 2009, 01:43:51 AM

Any demand for money per se, particularly by a grouping that is not actually of the GAA, is hostile to the ethos of the GAA. Simple as.