The annual bonfire/twelfth thread

Started by Gaoth Dobhair Abu, July 08, 2009, 04:39:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trevor Hill

Quote from: Myles Na G. on July 17, 2009, 07:50:53 PM
The same should apply with parades, IMHO. Contentious parades have the capacity to bring this place to a halt, to damage the economy, to cause injury and loss of life. They're far too important to be left to t**ts like Brendan McKenna of Earwigi or Drew Nelson to sort out. The elected representatives of the main parties should reach an agreement and local residents / orange lodges should live with the outcome.

Do you honestly believe that our elected representatives can come to an agreement on anything?

Myles Na G.

Quote from: Trevor Hill on July 17, 2009, 08:17:43 PM
The same should apply with parades, IMHO. Contentious parades have the capacity to bring this place to a halt, to damage the economy, to cause injury and loss of life. They're far too important to be left to t**ts like Brendan McKenna of Earwigi or Drew Nelson to sort out. The elected representatives of the main parties should reach an agreement and local residents / orange lodges should live with the outcome.

Do you honestly believe that our elected representatives can come to an agreement on anything?
All cynicism aside, if you look at what they have managed to agree on over the last 10 - 12 years it's quite impressive - police reform, prisoner releases, mechanisms for government, etc etc. Half a dozen contentious parades shouldn't be beyond them.

Trevor Hill

I think you will find that they were forced into a lot of those agreements. Both Governments made it clear that if they couldn't come to an agreement that it would be taken out of their hands, though they should really be able to sort something out at this stage. Any agreement would need the full support of all parties concerned.
One thing though, why cant the orangemen in Portadown not just walk back to their orange hall the same way they came? Problem solved.

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Myles you always let the mask slip, you can't help yourself.
IF you where a stoop they would be embarassed to have you!
You compare contentious parades to an airport ffs catch yourself on.
You say that the people involved should "butt out" and leave it up to the politicans, shows your naivety about prettty much everything in the Six.

Quote from: Orior on July 17, 2009, 10:17:08 AM
What have SF got to do with the parades?

Surely (as pointed out by Donagh) its the residents groups that the OO need to talk to?
Belfast City Airport is something else which causes a bit of conflict to local residents - times of flights, number of flights, types of plane, etc etc. Local residents groups have been fighting the company that runs the airport for years. Yet their interests (the right to peace and quiet being one) are often traded off against the interests of the wider community - our right to access cheap and convenient flights, the needs of the local economy, etc etc. The same should apply with parades, IMHO. Contentious parades have the capacity to bring this place to a halt, to damage the economy, to cause injury and loss of life. They're far too important to be left to t**ts like Brendan McKenna of Earwigi or Drew Nelson to sort out. The elected representatives of the main parties should reach an agreement and local residents / orange lodges should live with the outcome.
Tbc....

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: Donagh on July 17, 2009, 04:23:16 PM
Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on July 17, 2009, 10:35:45 AM
As the largest Nationalist party it would be remiss of them not to offer mediation.

No, SF have said time and time again that the OO must speak directly to the residents to sort it out. Back-door mediation, secret deals, proximity talks etc... are no longer acceptable in Portadown. The Orangemen will have to deal with the residents as equals if they ever want to walk down that road again and given their comments to Adams this morning I doubt very much they ever will. 

Donagh I was refering to the Ardoyne situation, but thanks for the clarification.  ;)
Tbc....

Main Street

Mississippi Burning on the BBC now,

timely  ;D

Main Street

Huge banner draped over the back of the stage at the mass KKK rally,
with NEVER NEVER NEVER   as the banner headline.

Myles Na G.

'Myles you always let the mask slip, you can't help yourself.
You say that the people involved should "butt out" and leave it up to the politicans, shows your naivety about prettty much everything in the Six.'

No counter argument, no detailed rebuttal, just 4 lines of general abuse.
Classy post.

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: Myles Na G. on July 18, 2009, 08:00:04 AM
'Myles you always let the mask slip, you can't help yourself.
You say that the people involved should "butt out" and leave it up to the politicans, shows your naivety about prettty much everything in the Six.'

No counter argument, no detailed rebuttal, just 4 lines of general abuse.
Classy post.

Not abuse just the truth, would you like to respond to the post or are you going to use the EG escape route of "playing the man"!  ::)
Btw if you believe the above to be abuse please refer it to the Mods.
Tbc....

Myles Na G.

'Not abuse just the truth, would you like to respond to the post or are you going to use the EG escape route of "playing the man"! 
Btw if you believe the above to be abuse please refer it to the Mods.'

er...what am I supposed to respond to? You didn't make any points.

carribbear

I had evil myles sussed from day one.
Yep, he's a nationalist and played GAA once upon a time but doesnt have any interest in it anymore so doesnt go to games including an Ulster Final that Antrim is playing in (an event as rare as hen's teeth).

Now I wonder why he posts on a GAA board ;)

Myles Na G.

Quote from: carribbear on July 18, 2009, 06:00:09 PM
Yep, he's a nationalist and played GAA once upon a time but doesnt have any interest in it anymore so doesnt go to games including an Ulster Final that Antrim is playing in (an event as rare as hen's teeth).

'Now I wonder why he posts on the Non GAA Discussion part of the GAA board'
There. Fixed that for you. (There's a wee clue in the word 'Non' if you're struggling to keep up.  :))

Tony Baloney

There will be very few north of Ballymena going to the Ulster Final!

Myles Na G.

Quote from: Tony Baloney on July 18, 2009, 07:46:46 PM

There will be very few north of Ballymena going to the Ulster Final!
Don't know if there'll be that many going from Belfast, all things considered. I was on the Fall Road yesterday and there wasn't a whole lot in the way of yellow and white flags flying about the place. A few outside McDermott's and near the Sinn Fein offices, but otherwise fairly thin on the ground. Compare this with the way the culchie counties festoon the place with their colours whenever their side is in the final. I suspect the bulk of the Antrim support will come from the Glens area.

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Myles Na Gobshite (can only guess what the G is) if you read what I posted there's plenty for you to respond to, but maybe you just can't. The truth is a hard thing to dodge.
As for your analysis of support for Antrim in Belfast, well I'd be surprised if you have ever been on the Falls Rd, but the number of flags I've seen in North West and East Belfast would make me think that support is very strong (the fact that Antrim haven't been here in 39 years might say alot as well - you muppet!) Also the number of buses (which are all full) going from city GAA clubs would also say that support is very strong in the town. Oh yeah did I mention that the Antrim county board sold out their 10000 allocation.  ::)

Do use all a favour and toodle off back to OWC or whatever sewer you crawlled from (now that was an insult).  ;)
Tbc....