Ulster Final- Should it be played at Casement?

Started by T Fearon, July 08, 2009, 02:13:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

T Fearon

I know the capacity's smaller, and there are financial issues (VAT etc),  but it would be another way to boost the GAA's profile in the big smoke, and on the same basis as the clamour to have one of the Compromise Rules Tests played there, why not stage the Ulster Final at this venue?

Maguire01

Quote from: T Fearon on July 08, 2009, 02:13:28 PM
I know the capacity's smaller, and there are financial issues (VAT etc),  but it would be another way to boost the GAA's profile in the big smoke, and on the same basis as the clamour to have one of the Compromise Rules Tests played there, why not stage the Ulster Final at this venue?
Because loyal season ticket holders (like you), definitely wouldn't get the seats you paid for?

Doohicky

Quote from: Maguire01 on July 08, 2009, 03:10:52 PM
Quote from: T Fearon on July 08, 2009, 02:13:28 PM
Because loyal season ticket holders (like you), definitely wouldn't get the seats you paid for?
Don't get them in Clones either so that doesn't make a difference.  :P

lob her in lad

Ulster final should be played in Ulster. Not fair on those poor Antrim souls. Do they know which county Croke Park is in??
"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying."

Maguire01

Quote from: lob her in lad on July 08, 2009, 05:06:34 PM
Ulster final should be played in Ulster. Not fair on those poor Antrim souls. Do they know which county Croke Park is in??
eh? What are you talking about? Who mentioned Croke Park?

sammymaguire

DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

fred the red

It should be in Casement at the traditional time of 3.30pm

D4S

In answer to the thread title..................NO!
The secret of success in life is for a man to be ready for his opportunity when it comes.

lob her in lad

Quote from: Maguire01 on July 08, 2009, 05:16:18 PM
Quote from: lob her in lad on July 08, 2009, 05:06:34 PM
eh? What are you talking about? Who mentioned Croke Park?
Ah my bad sorry for some reason I thought I read somewhere that this years Ulster final was on in Croker. After I posted this I got a call from a mate from Randalstown and we were chatting about it. He laughed at me when I mentioned the match being on in Dublin. It was then I realised what I had written and hoped nobody would be quick enough to catch my gaffe. Maguire 01 I apologise.
"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying."

lob her in lad

Yes it should be in Casement. Thats all I have to say about it without looking more stupid.

boojangles

tbrick18

Personally my vote would be for anywhere other than Clones!
Clones is a hole. Roads are crap...parking is crap....bogs are crap....and it's full of Monaghan heurs  ;)
Casement though was a disaster for the Tryone game. So badly organised for traffic and parking that I know of quite a few people who didnt even bother going in as it was so late by the time the made it anywhere close to Casement. The grounds themselves are very good IMO but unless they sort out the logistics of match day traffic there's no way an Ulster final should be there.

So in answer to the thread topic....Yes on the proviso that the parking and traffic is properly organised and that there enough stewards/cops to manage the day.

Minder

As for the logistics, if people left in decent time for Casement there wouldn't be a problem.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

tbrick18

Quote from: Minder on July 08, 2009, 07:53:54 PM
As for the logistics, if people left in decent time for Casement there wouldn't be a problem.

I left Coalisland 2 and a half hours befor kickoff and still missed the first 10 minutes even though throw-in was delayed by 10.
45 miles in 2.5 hours....I think I allowed plenty of time given I travel to belfast every day in rush hour traffic and rarely need so much time.

RadioGAAGAA

No.

I don't believe the bunch at casement are capable of organising themselves to deal with the crowds.
i usse an speelchekor