Sky+

Started by balladmaker, July 02, 2009, 12:27:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

balladmaker

I've been with Sky for the past 7 years or so, and decided today to try to get a Sky+ set up from them, without paying anything.

They have a promotion at the minute which gives Sky+ free to new customers.  However, they will not extend this offer to current customers, even though I am out of contract and can walk at anytime.  They wanted £159 for Sky+.

So they were happy to allow me to cancel my subscription rather then give me the same offer as new customers.

I asked them what was preventing me cancelling, and then getting my wife to join as a new customer and availing of the free Sky+ offer.  They said they would not provide the offer to an address which previously had Sky.

It is the last part which I find strange.  Does anyone have any experience of dealing with these feckers at Sky, are they having me on?

Archie Mitchell

If you threaten to cancel it could go both ways. They will either say no problem and let you cancel, or else give in and give it to you for free. If they do let you cancel, they will send you a letter asking you back, and after some haggling, you could possibly get it for free.

tyrone86

Quote from: balladmaker on July 02, 2009, 12:27:51 AM
I've been with Sky for the past 7 years or so, and decided today to try to get a Sky+ set up from them, without paying anything.

They have a promotion at the minute which gives Sky+ free to new customers.  However, they will not extend this offer to current customers, even though I am out of contract and can walk at anytime.  They wanted £159 for Sky+.

So they were happy to allow me to cancel my subscription rather then give me the same offer as new customers.

I asked them what was preventing me cancelling, and then getting my wife to join as a new customer and availing of the free Sky+ offer.  They said they would not provide the offer to an address which previously had Sky.

It is the last part which I find strange.  Does anyone have any experience of dealing with these feckers at Sky, are they having me on?

That's a bit mad considering you can get a Sky HD box (which has double the storage capacity) installed for 49 quid at the moment

FL/MAYO

I had the same problem over here with Direct TV, you need to take it up the ladder to someone who can make a decision in the organization, call Sky back and ask to speak to a manager and see where that gets you, also send an email in explaining your situation. The costumer service person you spoke to on the phone couldn't care less weather you stay with the company or not. It worked for me over here so it might be worth a try.

full back

Complete bollocks
They will put Sky into the same address as many times as need be
They will never know who is your wife anyway (even with the same surname)

Cancel it & tell them you are moving out
Get the wife to call them the next day, say she has moved in & wants Sky+ asap
Get the direct debit set up from a different account than you currently use & you will be up & running in a few days

spiritof91and94

Quote from: tyrone86 on July 02, 2009, 01:27:34 AM

That's a bit mad considering you can get a Sky HD box (which has double the storage capacity) installed for 49 quid at the moment

Dont hold your breath...
I booked this deal in March and got a email last week to tell me completion will be in 6-9 weeks....

thebandit

Is a torture getting it, but sky+ is well worth it  ;D

D4S

Sky have definitely got it all wrong here regards not upgrading current customers! I had an argument on the phone with them around a month ago when trying to help my mum get upgraded to Sky+.  SHe has been a Sky customer for over 10 years! I got Sky+ for free when I joined in November as I had just moved into my new house.  I said the same response about cancelling my mums and taking it out in another family persons name and they said if it was cancelled it couldn't be got at the same address for 12 months! I said how can they justify rewarding new customers with free Sky+ boxes and they aren't giving anything to existing members with them for over 10 years, and they said my mum would have had an introductory offer when she joined 10 years ago...I think it's a disgrace to charge £160.  I had forgot about this now I'm angry again >:(
The secret of success in life is for a man to be ready for his opportunity when it comes.

full back

Truest me on this, it is pure bollocks what they are saying
Call them up & say you are moving out of the house & to cancel Sky
Get someone to ring them the next day & say you have just moved in

Does anyone in their right mind think Sky would say to a 'new' customer they can have it because the previous resident had it?

They will try & shaft you to get every penny from you, dont let the fcukers away with it

David McKeown

Not sure if it effects you but I got SKY + recently and with living in an appartment only had one sky feed from the dish.  Consequently I can only record what I am watching and my sky box wont change channel to record things.  Meaning I have to choose between the Sunday Game and Top Gear on a Sunday night if I am away for the night.  Its a pain in the arse.

Also not the exact same thing but in my last house I phoned up Sky and tried to get a package from them (phone sports and broadband).  When they told me the price about £70 p/m I said that was far too expensive and that I would be going with NTL.  They phoned me back the next day and cut price in half.  Might try something similar
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

ziggysego

Quote from: David McKeown on July 02, 2009, 12:34:41 PM
Not sure if it effects you but I got SKY + recently and with living in an appartment only had one sky feed from the dish.  Consequently I can only record what I am watching and my sky box wont change channel to record things.  Meaning I have to choose between the Sunday Game and Top Gear on a Sunday night if I am away for the night.  Its a pain in the arse.

Also not the exact same thing but in my last house I phoned up Sky and tried to get a package from them (phone sports and broadband).  When they told me the price about £70 p/m I said that was far too expensive and that I would be going with NTL.  They phoned me back the next day and cut price in half.  Might try something similar

Why? They're on at different times.
Testing Accessibility

Archie Mitchell

Do you have your own Sky dish attached to your apartment or is it a communal dish for the whole block? It probably was wired for only one cable coming from the dish to the sky box. You could maybe try and add another cable going from the dish to the sky box, therefore having 2 signal lines and being able to watch and record 2 different programmes.

David McKeown

Quote from: ziggysego on July 02, 2009, 12:43:20 PM

Because with only one signal the sky box cant change channel automatically so I have to choose one and leave it on that channel before I go out.

Quote from: Archie Mitchell on July 02, 2009, 12:55:07 PM

Do you have your own Sky dish attached to your apartment or is it a communal dish for the whole block? It probably was wired for only one cable coming from the dish to the sky box. You could maybe try and add another cable going from the dish to the sky box, therefore having 2 signal lines and being able to watch and record 2 different programmes.

Its a communal box and theres no way for me to run a second cable without re-wiring the whole place apparently.  (Conveyance bars me from putting my own dish on building)
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

ziggysego

Quote from: David McKeown on July 02, 2009, 01:16:49 PM
Quote from: ziggysego on July 02, 2009, 12:43:20 PM

Because with only one signal the sky box cant change channel automatically so I have to choose one and leave it on that channel before I go out.

Surely you can set it to change channels. All other DVBs can.
Testing Accessibility

Hoof Hearted

you can record two things at once on SKY+, but you can't watch a third channel at the same time.
you can record two things at once on SKY+, but you can watch a previous recording at the same time
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012