Orange arches

Started by T O Hare, July 01, 2009, 04:13:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maddog

its cockney in origin, from "tosher", someone that was a scavenger in sewers etc in old London town.

Aerlik

In the 1970s the local OO intellectuals decided to erect the foreign bunting in Kilrea but couldn't find a long enough ladder for the job so decided to go ahead and use the only one available.  Not long enough it turns out.  The marching season just happened to be in the middle of the hay harvest (back in the days when Irish summers were longer than 24 hours!) and what an own-goal was scored the night that one of their own went belting down Maghera Street on the MF135 with a big load of hay and ripped every single line of offence off.  Oh, it was a funny night that night and the craic the next few days as the bunting was replaced was something else. :D
To find his equal an Irishman is forced to talk to God!

Orior

Quote from: Aerlik on July 06, 2009, 10:28:40 AM
In the 1970s the local OO intellectuals decided to erect the foreign bunting in Kilrea but couldn't find a long enough ladder for the job so decided to go ahead and use the only one available.  Not long enough it turns out.  The marching season just happened to be in the middle of the hay harvest (back in the days when Irish summers were longer than 24 hours!) and what an own-goal was scored the night that one of their own went belting down Maghera Street on the MF135 with a big load of hay and ripped every single line of offence off.  Oh, it was a funny night that night and the craic the next few days as the bunting was replaced was something else. :D

Oxymoron
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

DownFanatic

There last week a load of outsiders came in to Dundrum for their annual flag erecting session. There are three new Union Jack flags proudly flying outside our GAA grounds  >:(
Any other clubs in the North have similar decorations?

fitzroyalty

In Lurgan the "Protestant" end of town is flag/bunting free, but towards the "Catholic" end of the town centre looks as if theres about to be a party held for Nicolas Sarkozy!

Rossfan

Are those bigotfest marches on Saturday or Monday this year?
I presume they can't have them on a Sunday( all watching the Munster Final ?  :D)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Myles Na G.

Quote from: T Fearon on July 02, 2009, 09:36:01 AM
There is a lot of tosh on this thread. Despite many initiatives (the sincerity of which is debatable when an organisation has a member of the OO at its helm and is being sued currently by a former employee for unfair dismissal on the grounds of rac ism), the North of Ireland soccer team run by the IFA is perceived to be a loyalist icon. Thats why its logo appears on arches etc and the IFA Flag appears at this time of year alongside the UK and bastardised Ulster Flag on many lamposts all ver the 6 counties.

The fact that it is perceived to be a loyalist icon should be a source of alarm to the IFA if it is sincere in promoting Football for All and it should be doing all in its power to promote a global sport in a neutral environment in a divided society. While the best way to do this on this island is to dispense with the absurdity of two international soccer teams each representing its own largely exclusive cxommunity in favour of one team representing all communities, the very least the IFA must do immediately is to stop using the flags,symbols anthems of one community only, which inevitably makes every North of Ireland game an opportunity to display unionist triumphalism at worst or assert political unionism at best.Until this happens any other gestures it might make will be largely perceived to be window dressing.

The GAA has a strategic plan to be more inclusive by the way, but once again as I've stated here before the GAA and IFA are in no way analogous, as one exists to promote a wholly indigenous  national culture (which unfortunately may not appeal to everyone due to their own personal prejudices) and the other is supposed to promote a global sport in its region withour fear, favour or prejudice.
Not just on this thread, but on the board generally. You yourself contribute much more than your fair share.

ziggysego

Quote from: Rossfan on July 06, 2009, 06:10:57 PM
Are those bigotfest marches on Saturday or Monday this year?
I presume they can't have them on a Sunday( all watching the Munster Final ?  :D)

Monday ;)
Testing Accessibility

stew

Quote from: red hander on July 01, 2009, 06:46:48 PM
Can you have a crowd of rabble?  Surely a rabble is a crowd?  Bad misuse of your beloved English language there...

:D :D :D

Was thinking that meself. That rant is what happens when you feel trapped, you are embarassed and so you naturally turn to the GAA for deflection purposes. Well done evil, true colours shown for all to see, is it the twelfth coming up that brings out the worst in ye?
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Roger

I wouldn't put EG as a defender of the OO by any stretch of the imagination, nor me for that matter, but the level of bigotry against the Orange tradition (of which I am not part nor want to be, nor EG from what any fool could read in any of his post on the issue) here is quite something that the usually self-proclaimed tolerant bohemian gaels should be at least seeing as plain silly given the general level of ignorance on the subject matter by most of the more hate-filled ones.  Of course that is just my view and cue "you can't be bigotted against bigots" sort of shite.   ::) 

saffron sam2

Quote from: Roger on July 06, 2009, 09:59:19 PM
I wouldn't put EG as a defender of the OO by any stretch of the imagination, nor me for that matter, but the level of bigotry against the Orange tradition (of which I am not part nor want to be, nor EG from what any fool could read in any of his post on the issue) here is quite something that the usually self-proclaimed tolerant bohemian gaels should be at least seeing as plain silly given the general level of ignorance on the subject matter by most of the more hate-filled ones.  Of course that is just my view and cue "you can't be bigotted against bigots" sort of shite.   ::) 

That is probably one of the best sentences I've ever read.

What does it mean?
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

stew

[/quote

What are we ignorant about in regards to the OO?

Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Rossfan

We probably don't realise that they are fine upstanding tolerant Christian men who believe that all Prot people are equal and are God's creatures.  We dont realise that they totally and literally believe in the Christian message -- Love God and Love your neighbour as yourself.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

fitzroyalty

Quote from: saffron sam2 on July 06, 2009, 10:04:14 PM

That is probably one of the best sentences I've ever read.

What does it mean?
It is a really really good sentence.

maddog

Any pictures of this years bonfires and arches. Im feeling homesick. :P