Working from home!

Started by jimbo, July 01, 2009, 11:54:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimbo

Does anyone else work from home.  I find that it's a great perk in that you can help out with taking kids to school / child care plus you seem to get more done.  On the down side you find yourself never fecking leaving the computer and end up doing 11 or 12 hour days.  :(

supersub

Depends on your job, some suit it some don't, I'd love to be able to do that! I think i'd be too lazy thow! :D whats your field of work jim?

jimbo

I usually only do a few days a week - one time at band camp my car was buggered and I worked from home for 3 weeks - it nearly put me over the edge - you really need to interact with people to stop you going bananas.

nifan

Dont like it at all.
If I am working the weekends ill work some of it from home, but usually come in to the office for a few hours as I am much more productive I find.

supersub

Suppose it can be sh1te enough at times if you're on your own! I presume you are on the phone a lot when you are at home working!!

jimbo

Seriously nifan - I find I do more at home as I never know when to stop - my job means I am constantly working nights and weekends so it sort of makes sense to finish up at night just get up and keep working rather than driving into the office. The one plus about the office is you actually take breaks.

jimbo

Quote from: supersub on July 01, 2009, 12:05:54 PM
Suppose it can be sh1te enough at times if you're on your own! I presume you are on the phone a lot when you are at home working!!

Not really email is the perferred tool of communication.

supersub

Ah thats me told, I know same here, emails are a bit too common in here, but I find that explaining or asking somethin through the phone is quicker!

Shamrock Shore

Does 10 mins walk to office from home count?

rosnarun

been at it 5 years now and my biggest problem is having to go into the office every few months. i feel like a caged animal when i go up there. i mean yiu have to wash and wear clothes and everything
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

full back

Done it for a year
Was great at the start when it was a novelty
After a while I started to get stir crazy

Also found that your work/life balance suffers & it all rolls into one

It has its benefits though, like having a good feed & nap at lunchtime time

supersarsfields

Been working from home for two and a bit years and have to say I love it. Definitely wouldn't change it. Only have the odd meeting in the office a few times a year. Do miss the craic and banter of an office but that's the only draw back. Great being able to have a lie on if ya want it or even start early and wrap up early.

Dinny Breen

Do a mixture of home and office, when working from home I always leave the house for my lunch, helps break up the day and keeps the mind sane. Start at 7 and finish on the button at 3. Love that....
#newbridgeornowhere

bcarrier

I do a bit of it . Always feel under personal pressure to have something to show for time spent working at home whereas office time is not as focused on deliverying anything.  I have a good set up at home with VOIP phone linking into office phone system/ VPN etc . The first rule of homeworking should be to wash . The rest of these are old ...

The rules of home working

Find a Good Place to Work
The best place to work is a separate room dedicated as your home office. The second best is a corner of another room, where you have a desk and a chair suitable for long work days. Sitting on a hard chair at your kitchen table will give you an aching back within weeks, and the location will allow you to be distracted by the contents of your refrigerator.

Make Things Work
All you need is a computer, an Internet connection, a phone... and there you go. Make sure the arrangement works all right. The applied science of 'ergonomics', which is concerned with designing and arranging things so that people function efficiently in comfort and safety, is an important issue in business and industry. You are bound to go nuts if you have to walk to the other end of the room in order to pick up the phone, or if you have to end your Internet connection to make a phonecall.

Keep in Touch
Most people fear that your social life at work comes to an end if you leave your office to work from home. But in numerous cases your relationship with your colleagues improves. You don't see all of your best friends every day, do you? In every case, pass your colleagues an email asking how they are, and take time to discuss things on the phone... And don't forget to meet up with them just to have fun every now and then.

Get Out!
No matter what kind of home you have, it could make you go ga-ga if you spend 24 hours a day in it. Get out, whenever you can, to clear your head and to see other people.

What Time is it?
Working outside working hours is no sin. Taking a nap in your home office is not either, as long as you get your work done. But too much of either of these is dangerous. In a down-period, you should be able to pull yourself together to continue; and in a hectic period, you should be able to actually set the work aside at some time during the day... And do something else apart from sitting in front of your computer.

Draw a Line
Tell yourself, and those around you, about the limits of when you are supposed to work and when you are supposed to be off work. Don't spend your working days picking up groceries or cooking large meals, 'since you are there anyway'; and don't spend all of your time off working, even though your office equipment 'is there anyway'. A home office is convenient, but don't let convenience get in the way of your social life.

thebuzz

Quote from: bcarrier on July 01, 2009, 02:00:19 PM
I do a bit of it . Always feel under personal pressure to have something to show for time spent working at home whereas office time is not as focused on deliverying anything. 

I feel exactly the same. I used to work from home regularly but a new manager in the office isn't a particular lover of it - likes to see bums on chairs.
Work pay for my work phone and internet connection which is brilliant as the kids can use the internet all the time for free.
I'm working from home tomorrow for the first time in weeks. The kids are off and they don't like going to the local creche ( I don't like the expense either) so I have work from home a few days a week in July.
I find I can get a lot done but after three days at home I be glad to get into the office to clear up things which require input from others.