Cill Dara v Áth Cliath Cluiche Ceannais Laighean 12/07/09

Started by Dinny Breen, June 28, 2009, 03:04:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

INDIANA

Well his record as Kildare manager wasn't too hot anyway if I recall correctly. Reading that I suppose its not a surprise.

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: INDIANA on July 08, 2009, 03:46:17 PM
Well his record as Kildare manager wasn't too hot anyway if I recall correctly. Reading that I suppose its not a surprise.

That's putting it mildly!
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

heffo

Quote from: INDIANA on July 08, 2009, 03:46:17 PM

A little ironic that he complained about "uninformed, ill informed and uncensored comment that shouldn't have been allowed on the airwaves... " during his ill-fated reign as Kildare boss..

http://www.kildare-nationalist.ie/news/story/index.aspx?trs=cwojsnqlql

Jell 0 Biafra

Quote from: heffo on July 08, 2009, 08:40:04 AM
Quote from: Jell 0 Biafra on July 08, 2009, 01:38:51 AM
That's a wind-up.

Look through my previous posts on Dublin team selection and see how inaccurate I've been..

I was referring to a post, which seems to have been deleted, saying that Whelan was going to start in place of A. Brogan (not your "Andrews for O'Caroll" post).

Donnellys Hollow

QuoteMeanwhile, there is speculation today that the Leinster decider might move out of the province if it goes to a second day, with indications that Thurles has been pencilled in for a replay on Saturday week because of Croker pitch work linked to the looming U2 concerts.
http://www.herald.ie/sport/the-dubs/andrews-in-for-dublin-1811221.html

:o

Could be some craic heading down to Thurles.

Hound

Jaysus, some of those comments by Crofton are pure idiotic. Wouldn't mind if it came from a Kerry or Tyrone man who might have a right to question the Dubs, but from a Kildare man who probably lost over 80% of the time he faced Dublin, well that's rich to say the least.

Come on lads - sow it into them!!

Gnevin

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on July 08, 2009, 04:02:09 PM
QuoteMeanwhile, there is speculation today that the Leinster decider might move out of the province if it goes to a second day, with indications that Thurles has been pencilled in for a replay on Saturday week because of Croker pitch work linked to the looming U2 concerts.
http://www.herald.ie/sport/the-dubs/andrews-in-for-dublin-1811221.html

:o

Could be some craic heading down to Thurles.

Come on the draw!

At least if Dublin win all our fat supporters won't be moaned at for ruining the pitch again .

http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=114485
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Donnellys Hollow

Tadhg Fennin provides a more balanced opinion on the match than Johnny Crofton.  ;)

http://www.kildare-nationalist.ie/tabId/423/itemId/4205/Time-for-players-to-hide-in-the-long-grass.aspx

Time for players to hide in the long grass
So there I was pushing my way through a crowd at a function last Friday night when a man with no teeth who was devouring a ham sandwich cornered me. Beckoning me to sit down he uttered the question everyone wants to know: "Well are we going to win on Sunday?" "I'm just on my way to see someone in the lounge," I said "shur I'll stop on my way back." I did stop with our toothless friend and he left satisfied to hear I thought we would win after I had gone through the whole team on both sides!
But for players this is the one question they don't want to hear this week. It is impossible to answer without having a 20 minute debate so it makes sense for players to steer well clear of functions and crowds this week as they try and clear the mind and stay focused on the job in hand this Sunday.

This week I am co-ordinating a VHI Cúl Camp in the Sarsfields club and to be honest I couldn't think of a better place to be in the run up to a Leinster final. The Kildare jerseys are out in force and some children are bursting to explain how this could be Kildare's year. Some of their analysis' would give Pat Spillane a run for his money and if what I am hearing in the 6-7 yrs old group the Dubs don't stand a chance and might as well not bother togging out!

On a more serious note Sunday's game will hinge on a couple of key areas. Both fullback lines will be the centre of attention as the scoring power of the respective full-forward lines will be a worry for both managers. Neither Mick Foley and co or Denis Bastick and his corner men have yet to be tested this year so it will be interesting to see who marks who, and where the weaknesses are.

I expect Alan Smith and the lads to continue their exceptional form in front of goal and this could be the key to Kildare winning another provincial title. Without doubt Bernard Brogan and Conal Keaney will need watching but if Kildare's defenders play tight and hit hard Kildare can come out on top.

The platform on which our forwards thrive is provided by the passing and movement of Mikey Conway and Brian Flanagan. With Dermot Earley and Ronan Sweeney rolling back the years the forward division have had a plentiful supply of ammunition.

How will Dublin combat this? They could plan on making Mikey concentrate on his defensive duties and they will expect Alan Brogan to handle a lot of the ball as his passing is vital to how well the Dubs inside line performs. Kildare have a massive work ethic all over the field and it will require a high level of fitness from the half-forward line to help win the middle sector battle.

While the county is buzzing at the idea of two Kildare teams in a Leinster final, the players will be preparing as usual for another game. No matter how they try to avoid the hype it is inevitable that the players will feel more pressure this week than they have before any of the previous games.

Croke Park will be near full capacity and players will have to keep telling themselves it is just another game. I can remember when I was lucky enough to play in a Leinster final, I was nervous but nothing above the ordinary - that was until I was walking around in the parade before the game. I had a moment for just about five seconds where I was filled with dread and I just wanted to go home.

Thankfully it passed and once the ball was thrown in all the nerves went out the window. Every player deals with the big games differently, the media will want interviews and quotes and friends and neighbours request tickets, usually the management deals with the media pressures and the county board take care of the tickets.

One year Brian Lacey did a modeling slot on a morning tv show the week of the Leinster final, management went ballistic.

Players were even known to play golf the day before a big game without thinking that an injury might occur. I remember a previous manager telling us not to be outside the day before a big game in case we got sunburn. I realised this rule prevented me from doing any work outside the house, i.e. cutting the grass! The longer our championship run went the longer the grass grew in our house, although an un-kept garden was a small price to pay for a Leinster medal.

It's going to be a great day to be a Lilywhite this Sunday with the minors also gunning for a provincial glory and I'd like to wish Bryan Murphy and his selectors and players the very best of luck on Sunday. With both teams having a great chance let's hope it will be a double celebration on Sunday evening.

My prediction? I won't be greedy, Kildare to claim another Leinster senior by two points.

corn02

Good luck to Kildare on Sunday, now that Armagh are out we will be supporting you.

Donnellys Hollow

Good to hear. Was talking to two Armagh lads at the Wexford match who had travelled down to Carlow to support McGeeney and Grimley.

Found an article on McGeeney's appointment from this week's Kildare Nationalist if you're interested:
http://www.kildare-nationalist.ie/tabId/423/itemId/4207/Merrins-never-in-doubt-that-McGeeney-would-be-a-su.aspx

swagger

if 2 good footballing teams dont provide an entertaining match on sunday then there isnt much hope for free-flowing football this this years football championship!!
riiiiiiiiiite

Dinny Breen

Not going to be a sell-out, the Kildare clubs have returned 3K tickets. Disappointing, looks like our bandwagon died in 2003  :(  Kildare will probably have about 20K there.
#newbridgeornowhere

Gnevin

Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 09, 2009, 09:54:15 PM
Not going to be a sell-out, the Kildare clubs have returned 3K tickets. Disappointing, looks like our bandwagon died in 2003  :(  Kildare will probably have about 20K there.
Demand is high up here . I'd be surprised if the 3k didn't sell (but I've been known to be wrong in the past)
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

heffo

Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 09, 2009, 09:54:15 PM

There was a queue outside the ticket office up here two hours before it opened this morning - I'd say it'll be a sellout..

Dinny Breen

Hope you're right lads, should be a cracking atmosphere with only the two teams involved..
#newbridgeornowhere