Send for the Aussies

Started by Zulu, June 27, 2009, 01:16:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JMohan

Quote from: Bainisteoir on June 28, 2009, 03:54:22 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on June 28, 2009, 02:29:42 PM
From a Kildare perspective, McGeeney has switched the training emphasis from fitness to skills, all there is some generally team conditioning and stamina work the majority of Kildare's sessions are about ball work under intense pressure with the basics the only thing that matters.

Kildare are very conditioned but the majority of this was done in the off-season and the players spent 6 weeks in effectively a boxing camp. To supplement this they are given specific gym programs which they have to do 3 times a week, this is core-conditioning work devised by Julie Davis, does DCU and use to work with the Cavan footballers. The players are spilt into pods and these pods work in the gym. It's my own opinion that Kildare are using a training system called periodisation which is about increasing and decreasing intensity levels at certain times to help athletes peak, I believe that because our one defeat this year was in the league to Armagh where Kildare were very sluggish and I subsequently learned that the week prior to that was the most intense of the year which fits into my theory, I've asked the players but it's never been discussed.

Anyway not to deviate from the point the majority of McGeeney's and Grimley's sessions are all done with the ball working basic skills. The rewards have been remarkable and to be brutally honest Kildare's forwards were hardly the most feared in the land but if we look at our last three championship games Offaly 1-12 from play, Wexford 2-10 from play and Laois 2-10 from play, those are remarkable statistics for any county. It's not just our shooting, or foot passing is probably the best in the country and we're not neglecting our tackling either.

People talk about McGeeney's organisational skills but his biggest impact in my opinion is coaching ability and this is been reflected in the players. I think we can get better too and next year I think is when McGeeney's tuition will really show.

Dinny have to say i've been very impressed with use so far, there's now a lot more variety to your play.. It's no longer the John Doyle show.. There has obviously been a serious amount of high quality work done over the winter months both from a technical and Physical conditoning point of view and it's evident to see the rewards.. As you said your kick passing is very very good and the players are flying. You seem to be a man in "the know"... What is the opinion of the players towards to management team.. I know the Armagh players always mentioned that grimleys tackling drills are legendary and he has obviously brought this into kildare. Bernard Flynn was saying last nite On the Sunday game that Kildare trained during the week in tullamore and the locals who were watching the session said they had never seen nothing like it with regards to intensity.

Personally I think McGeeney and co will stay the duration that they agreed and then Armagh will come knocking.
The only word of warning is that they've not really played anyone of note...

JMohan

Quote from: Keyser soze on June 28, 2009, 03:58:24 PM
Some of the arrogance on here is breathtaking  --  not to say laughable.

If any of you keyboard critics had the skills, knowledge and personality that you seem to think you have you'd be managing at IC level rather than sitting pecking a keyboard criticising thed top managers in the game.
Oh right - so no one here has managed or coached at any level? or knows nothing of coaching?

Quote from: Keyser soze on June 28, 2009, 03:58:24 PM
The conclusion of 5 pages of argument....... the teams with the higher skill levels ar e the best teams.

And you have coached?

As Zulu said - it's what a discussion board is for ... I don't remember having to pass a fitness test to join

Bainisteoir

Quote from: JMohan on June 28, 2009, 04:05:57 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on June 28, 2009, 02:29:42 PM
From a Kildare perspective, McGeeney has switched the training emphasis from fitness to skills, all there is some generally team conditioning and stamina work the majority of Kildare's sessions are about ball work under intense pressure with the basics the only thing that matters.

Kildare are very conditioned but the majority of this was done in the off-season and the players spent 6 weeks in effectively a boxing camp. To supplement this they are given specific gym programs which they have to do 3 times a week, this is core-conditioning work devised by Julie Davis, does DCU and use to work with the Cavan footballers. The players are spilt into pods and these pods work in the gym. It's my own opinion that Kildare are using a training system called periodisation which is about increasing and decreasing intensity levels at certain times to help athletes peak, I believe that because our one defeat this year was in the league to Armagh where Kildare were very sluggish and I subsequently learned that the week prior to that was the most intense of the year which fits into my theory, I've asked the players but it's never been discussed.

Anyway not to deviate from the point the majority of McGeeney's and Grimley's sessions are all done with the ball working basic skills. The rewards have been remarkable and to be brutally honest Kildare's forwards were hardly the most feared in the land but if we look at our last three championship games Offaly 1-12 from play, Wexford 2-10 from play and Laois 2-10 from play, those are remarkable statistics for any county. It's not just our shooting, or foot passing is probably the best in the country and we're not neglecting our tackling either.

People talk about McGeeney's organisational skills but his biggest impact in my opinion is coaching ability and this is been reflected in the players. I think we can get better too and next year I think is when McGeeney's tuition will really show.

Dinny have to say i've been very impressed with use so far, there's now a lot more variety to your play.. It's no longer the John Doyle show.. There has obviously been a serious amount of high quality work done over the winter months both from a technical and Physical conditoning point of view and it's evident to see the rewards.. As you said your kick passing is very very good and the players are flying. You seem to be a man in "the know"... What is the opinion of the players towards to management team.. I know the Armagh players always mentioned that grimleys tackling drills are legendary and he has obviously brought this into kildare. Bernard Flynn was saying last nite On the Sunday game that Kildare trained during the week in tullamore and the locals who were watching the session said they had never seen nothing like it with regards to intensity.

Personally I think McGeeney and co will stay the duration that they agreed and then Armagh will come knocking.
The only word of warning is that they've not really played anyone of note...

yea I would agree with that, but then again you can only beat what's in front of you and thus far they have done that with quite a degree of comfort.. Should be a good final.. Dublin looking good at the min.. Think that will really show how much they have came on!!

JMohan

Yes ... fair enough... tougher tests to come ...

Dinny Breen

QuoteDinny have to say i've been very impressed with use so far, there's now a lot more variety to your play.. It's no longer the John Doyle show.. There has obviously been a serious amount of high quality work done over the winter months both from a technical and Physical conditoning point of view and it's evident to see the rewards.. As you said your kick passing is very very good and the players are flying. You seem to be a man in "the know"... What is the opinion of the players towards to management team..

I wouldn't say I'm close at all but would know senior players involved and I think at this stage they would walk through walls for McGeeney, he has giving the squad amazing belief and they're absolutely loving it but the mantra is it's all about the team, every player is just a component in the team.
I know the Armagh players always mentioned that grimleys tackling drills are legendary and he has obviously brought this into kildare. Bernard Flynn was saying last nite On the Sunday game that Kildare trained during the week in tullamore and the locals who were watching the session said they had never seen nothing like it with regards to intensity.

Intensity that is the key, McGeeney expects the players to put in 100% in training, if he feels they're not he's very quick to let them know, it took a while but the players have completely bought into it, Grimleys drills are seemingly as intuitive as they are intense

Will Grimley return to Armagh?

QuoteThe only word of warning is that they've not really played anyone of note...

I think that is a massive fear but Laois put it up to Kildare for 25 mins last night, there was no panic and Kildare stuck with the game plan. The Leinster final will be a great litmus test, we won't be winning All-Irelands but we will be very competitive.
#newbridgeornowhere

JMohan

Grimley is working (and I can only presume getting paid) by DCU, a team in Monaghan and Kildare ... so the question is what would the offer from Armagh have to be?

(All a bit premature considering McDonnell is still in charge!)

Dinny Breen

All just idle speculation and discussion funnily enough although I see people can't understand that at all.
#newbridgeornowhere

Bainisteoir

Quote from: Dinny Breen on June 28, 2009, 04:26:57 PM
QuoteDinny have to say i've been very impressed with use so far, there's now a lot more variety to your play.. It's no longer the John Doyle show.. There has obviously been a serious amount of high quality work done over the winter months both from a technical and Physical conditoning point of view and it's evident to see the rewards.. As you said your kick passing is very very good and the players are flying. You seem to be a man in "the know"... What is the opinion of the players towards to management team..

I wouldn't say I'm close at all but would know senior players involved and I think at this stage they would walk through walls for McGeeney, he has giving the squad amazing belief and they're absolutely loving it but the mantra is it's all about the team, every player is just a component in the team.
I know the Armagh players always mentioned that grimleys tackling drills are legendary and he has obviously brought this into kildare. Bernard Flynn was saying last nite On the Sunday game that Kildare trained during the week in tullamore and the locals who were watching the session said they had never seen nothing like it with regards to intensity.

Intensity that is the key, McGeeney expects the players to put in 100% in training, if he feels they're not he's very quick to let them know, it took a while but the players have completely bought into it, Grimleys drills are seemingly as intuitive as they are intense

QuoteThe only word of warning is that they've not really played anyone of note...

I think that is a massive fear but Laois put it up to Kildare for 25 mins last night, there was no panic and Kildare stuck with the game plan. The Leinster final will be a great litmus test, we won't be winning All-Irelands but we will be very competitive.

Will grimley return.. Will McGeeney? Who knows but I firmly believe he will and as long as they don't fall out I think grimley will be along with him.. This is a new Armagh squad and grimley won't be coming into the setup with players knowing how he works as alot of them wouldn't have spent much if any time under his guidance before. What's his job with DCU?

I see see the tv3 pundits tipped Kildare to beat the dubs!!

Btw this may never happen.. But as an Armagh man I would love to see geezer back sometime, however I'm fully behind Peter McDonnell next week!!

JMohan

Quote from: Bainisteoir on June 28, 2009, 06:35:01 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on June 28, 2009, 04:26:57 PM

Will grimley return.. Will McGeeney? Who knows but I firmly believe he will and as long as they don't fall out I think grimley will be along with him.. This is a new Armagh squad and grimley won't be coming into the setup with players knowing how he works as alot of them wouldn't have spent much if any time under his guidance before. What's his job with DCU?

I see see the tv3 pundits tipped Kildare to beat the dubs!!

Btw this may never happen.. But as an Armagh man I would love to see geezer back sometime, however I'm fully behind Peter McDonnell next week!!
Think he was the senior team coach/manager

Jinxy

Nothing wrong with Kildare and Dublins foot-passing ability anyway.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

DUBSFORSAM1

Dinny - Would the worry be that Laois were able to put it up to you for the 25 mins and get a decent lead?

JMohan

Quote from: Jinxy on June 29, 2009, 01:43:47 PM
Nothing wrong with Kildare and Dublins foot-passing ability anyway.
Will be interesting to see it under pressure the next day out

Dinny Breen

QuoteDinny - Would the worry be that Laois were able to put it up to you for the 25 mins and get a decent lead?

Laois were very good in the opening 25 and probably should have led by more but Kildare responded very well and did not deviate from the game plan.

The game was delayed by 20 minutes and this would have affected the Kildare lads as the pre-match build up is very meticulous and everything is timed, mentally more than anything else. Against Offaly and Wexford we flew out of the blocks so it was good to see the reverse and how we would respond. Dublin always start well and if they do the same against Kildare, the players will know not to panic, scenario's are very hard to coach and I think the Laois experience will stand to us and won't be a concern.
#newbridgeornowhere

Donnellys Hollow

I know two lads on the panel quite well and they've nothing but good things to say about McGeeney and Grimley. One of them was telling me that he was taken aback by some of Grimley's drills and that they were unlike anything he'd ever come across at county, club or colleges level. He says his game has improved no end under their guidance. I think a few of the lads were under the impression that McGeeney would be quite dour and sullen but he's been anything but - a great communicator, motivator and cuts through all of the bullsh1t. It really does show what can be achieved by proper organisation and structures because with the exception of Smith and McGrillen, it's more or less the same personnel that have been around for 4 or 5 years now.

I wouldn't claim to have a great knowledge of the situation in Armagh, but it really is hard to believe that they've let these two boys slip through their fingers. I think McGeeney would find it difficult to leave Kildare in the next year or two even if Armagh come knocking. He's never struck me as the kind of man who'd be satisfied leaving with a job half done. The average age of the Kildare team is relatively young and both Earley and Doyle still look to have a few good years left in them. The way he's been referring to Kerry, Tyrone, Cork etc in his interviews suggests to me that he believes Kildare could possibly compete at that type of level within a few years.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

JMohan

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on June 29, 2009, 02:53:23 PM

I know two lads on the panel quite well and they've nothing but good things to say about McGeeney and Grimley. One of them was telling me that he was taken aback by some of Grimley's drills and that they were unlike anything he'd ever come across at county, club or colleges level. He says his game has improved no end under their guidance. I think a few of the lads were under the impression that McGeeney would be quite dour and sullen but he's been anything but - a great communicator, motivator and cuts through all of the bullsh1t. It really does show what can be achieved by proper organisation and structures because with the exception of Smith and McGrillen, it's more or less the same personnel that have been around for 4 or 5 years now.

I wouldn't claim to have a great knowledge of the situation in Armagh, but it really is hard to believe that they've let these two boys slip through their fingers. I think McGeeney would find it difficult to leave Kildare in the next year or two even if Armagh come knocking. He's never struck me as the kind of man who'd be satisfied leaving with a job half done. The average age of the Kildare team is relatively young and both Earley and Doyle still look to have a few good years left in them. The way he's been referring to Kerry, Tyrone, Cork etc in his interviews suggests to me that he believes Kildare could possibly compete at that type of level within a few years.
Perhaps, but so long as Kildare have the $ I think youse I'll be ok