Send for the Aussies

Started by Zulu, June 27, 2009, 01:16:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Zulu on June 28, 2009, 01:45:29 AM
It was an attempt to make my point understandable to all readers rather than the correct scientific term and although I won't remake my points on the issue the fact remains nothing suggests that humans have no physical limit, in fact there are a number of physiological reasons that would suggest we do.

No excuse for scientific mistruths, and I don't buy the 'understandability' argument. Once we (the human race) stray into fiction we lose the argument.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Zulu

Nonsense, this isn't a debate on science rather a debate on human fitness and it's limits or lack there of in a sporting sense. We could nit pick at the wording of each others posts all day and never have a proper discussion on the fundamental issue but where does that get anyone? Using a term incorrectly doesn't dimish the validity of all your points, anyway not being an expert on human genetics, maybe you could explain what proof there is that there isn't a genetic ceiling?

JMohan

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on June 28, 2009, 12:58:13 AM
Quote from: Zulu on June 28, 2009, 12:54:57 AM
QuoteThere's no such thing as a 'genetic ceiling': we all (creatures on this planet) come from single cell, if we go back far enough.

Not sure what your point is there FOSB

You've referred to a 'genetic ceiling' more than once in this thread Zulu, just pointing out that there is no such thing, for humans or any other species.
I think that's what Logan was saying or trying to say

Zulu

I would know a bit about genetics though I'm far from an expert so maybe teh term I used is incorrect but the point I'm making isn't IMO. And the basic point I was making was that all of us have a limit, which is genetically set beyond which we can't go, i.e. I could never win the Olympic 100m regardless of who trained me or what training I did, I simply can't run that fast. And we humans will never run a 6sec 100m (or maybe a 5sec) but whatever the limit is, there is one, and we won't continue to adapt indefinitely.

Dinny Breen

From a Kildare perspective, McGeeney has switched the training emphasis from fitness to skills, all there is some generally team conditioning and stamina work the majority of Kildare's sessions are about ball work under intense pressure with the basics the only thing that matters.

Kildare are very conditioned but the majority of this was done in the off-season and the players spent 6 weeks in effectively a boxing camp. To supplement this they are given specific gym programs which they have to do 3 times a week, this is core-conditioning work devised by Julie Davis, does DCU and use to work with the Cavan footballers. The players are spilt into pods and these pods work in the gym. It's my own opinion that Kildare are using a training system called periodisation which is about increasing and decreasing intensity levels at certain times to help athletes peak, I believe that because our one defeat this year was in the league to Armagh where Kildare were very sluggish and I subsequently learned that the week prior to that was the most intense of the year which fits into my theory, I've asked the players but it's never been discussed.

Anyway not to deviate from the point the majority of McGeeney's and Grimley's sessions are all done with the ball working basic skills. The rewards have been remarkable and to be brutally honest Kildare's forwards were hardly the most feared in the land but if we look at our last three championship games Offaly 1-12 from play, Wexford 2-10 from play and Laois 2-10 from play, those are remarkable statistics for any county. It's not just our shooting, or foot passing is probably the best in the country and we're not neglecting our tackling either.

People talk about McGeeney's organisational skills but his biggest impact in my opinion is coaching ability and this is been reflected in the players. I think we can get better too and next year I think is when McGeeney's tuition will really show.

#newbridgeornowhere

JMohan

Quote from: Dinny Breen on June 28, 2009, 02:29:42 PM
From a Kildare perspective, McGeeney has switched the training emphasis from fitness to skills, all there is some generally team conditioning and stamina work the majority of Kildare's sessions are about ball work under intense pressure with the basics the only thing that matters.
Which is the way it should be.
It's not rocket science - despite what some would say.

Kildare are very conditioned but the majority of this was done in the off-season and the players spent 6 weeks in effectively a boxing camp. To supplement this they are given specific gym programs which they have to do 3 times a week, this is core-conditioning work devised by Julie Davis, does DCU and use to work with the Cavan footballers. The players are spilt into pods and these pods work in the gym. It's my own opinion that Kildare are using a training system called periodisation which is about increasing and decreasing intensity levels at certain times to help athletes peak, I believe that because our one defeat this year was in the league to Armagh where Kildare were very sluggish and I subsequently learned that the week prior to that was the most intense of the year which fits into my theory, I've asked the players but it's never been discussed.
Most of them wouldn't know anyway.
All teams are using some kind of periodisation - which is simply making sure the heavier work is done earlier in the year and so to peak later in the year.
It's pretty straightforward. The old 'core' would be getting good emphasis I'd think too, knowing that.

Quote from: Dinny Breen on June 28, 2009, 02:29:42 PMAnyway not to deviate from the point the majority of McGeeney's and Grimley's sessions are all done with the ball working basic skills. The rewards have been remarkable and to be brutally honest Kildare's forwards were hardly the most feared in the land but if we look at our last three championship games Offaly 1-12 from play, Wexford 2-10 from play and Laois 2-10 from play, those are remarkable statistics for any county. It's not just our shooting, or foot passing is probably the best in the country and we're not neglecting our tackling either.
Well it's great to see the work on the basics being improved and showing on the field.

People talk about McGeeney's organisational skills but his biggest impact in my opinion is coaching ability and this is been reflected in the players. I think we can get better too and next year I think is when McGeeney's tuition will really show.
That's if you can keep him. I'd say the Armagh banks will be looking for a package for him very soon if Monaghan win at the weekend.
Just my thoughts.

JMohan

Quote from: Zulu on June 28, 2009, 11:54:43 AM
I would know a bit about genetics though I'm far from an expert so maybe teh term I used is incorrect but the point I'm making isn't IMO. And the basic point I was making was that all of us have a limit, which is genetically set beyond which we can't go, i.e. I could never win the Olympic 100m regardless of who trained me or what training I did, I simply can't run that fast. And we humans will never run a 6sec 100m (or maybe a 5sec) but whatever the limit is, there is one, and we won't continue to adapt indefinitely.

We'll park this one (again)
Most think there is no limit to the human bodies evolution ... anyway ... ZZzzzzzzz
He he!  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Zulu on June 28, 2009, 02:11:10 AM
Nonsense, this isn't a debate on science rather a debate on human fitness and it's limits or lack there of in a sporting sense. We could nit pick at the wording of each others posts all day and never have a proper discussion on the fundamental issue but where does that get anyone?

Fair enough  ;)
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Dinny Breen

QuoteThat's if you can keep him. I'd say the Armagh banks will be looking for a package for him very soon if Monaghan win at the weekend.
Just my thoughts.

I honestly don't think McGeeney would walk away from the job but that would be the fear and some day he will be going back but I think he's enjoying his stint in Kildare, zero pressure, complete control and has Micko stated last week Kildare footballers are some of the most dedicated around and he has a very young team to shape and mould and we're finally starting to get the conveyor belt working.
#newbridgeornowhere

JMohan

And he likes the Dublin living ...

Dinny Breen

QuoteAnd he likes the Dublin living ...

Plus he's still tipping away with Na Fianna, he was parading around yesterday in the Kildare shorts, socks and boots, he's only a week older than Rainbow, I'd say he finds it hard to watch the games.  ;D
#newbridgeornowhere

JMohan

Maybe Mullaghbawn can break the bank for a transfer?

Bainisteoir

Anyway not to deviate from the point the majority of McGeeney's and Grimley's sessions are all done with the ball working basic skills. The rewards have been remarkable and to be brutally honest Kildare's forwards were hardly the most feared in the land but if we look at our last three championship games Offaly 1-12 from play, Wexford 2-10 from play and Laois 2-10 from play, those are remarkable statistics for any county. It's not just our shooting, or foot passing is probably the best in the country and we're not neglecting our tackling either.

Dinny have to say i've been very impressed with use so far, there's now a lot more variety to your play.. It's no longer the John Doyle show.. There has obviously been a serious amount of high quality work done over the winter months both from a technical and Physical conditoning point of view and it's evident to see the rewards.. As you said your kick passing is very very good and the players are flying. You seem to be a man in "the know"... What is the opinion of the players towards to management team.. I know the Armagh players always mentioned that grimleys tackling drills are legendary and he has obviously brought this into kildare. Bernard Flynn was saying last nite On the Sunday game that Kildare trained during the week in tullamore and the locals who were watching the session said they had never seen nothing like it with regards to intensity.

Personally I think McGeeney and co will stay the duration that they agreed and then Armagh will come knocking.

Keyser soze

Some of the arrogance on here is breathtaking  --  not to say laughable.

If any of you keyboard critics had the skills, knowledge and personality that you seem to think you have you'd be managing at IC level rather than sitting pecking a keyboard criticising thed top managers in the game.

The conclusion of 5 pages of argument....... the teams with the higher skill levels ar e the best teams.

Geniuses.

Zulu

Quote from: Keyser soze on June 28, 2009, 03:58:24 PM
Some of the arrogance on here is breathtaking  --  not to say laughable.

If any of you keyboard critics had the skills, knowledge and personality that you seem to think you have you'd be managing at IC level rather than sitting pecking a keyboard criticising thed top managers in the game.

The conclusion of 5 pages of argument....... the teams with the higher skill levels ar e the best teams.

Geniuses.

Clearly you've a problem understanding some of the points made, by the way what do you think a GAA discussion board is for?