Gaelic players announce media ban

Started by ziggysego, June 26, 2009, 09:20:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JMohan

Quote from: ardmhachaabu on June 26, 2009, 09:49:45 PM
Quote from: Mid Down Gael on June 26, 2009, 09:41:34 PM
Dessie farrell and Donal og Cusack sicken me. I can see Sean Cavanagh following in their footsteps to.
Until Geezer got involved with Kildare he was in with them, didn't agree with him either
From what I know both those guys were getting 'taken care of' well enough anyway to nearly be classed as professionals.

Zapatista

Sure if the media want the real good stuff they can just take it from here.

YE lads have a better insight than any player ;)

Bud Wiser

QuoteHowever, the GPA said they would not interfere with the actual staging of the two matches.

The day they do decide to interfere with the staging of matches will be the best thing that ever happens because on that day they will get their come-uppance.  The level of intelligence shared among the boys in the suits in this organizeation can be determined by their timing in announcing the reasons for this most recent ban they are talking about imposing.  

1.   This country, like others is in recession, ie, there is no money to fund exclusive programs at a time when even children are being left to die in hospitals while throughout the country other parents are scrimping and scraping and begging for funding for required operations to save their childrens lives. Everyone is taking pay cuts and despite the various political views the people in general are pulling together to work our way out of where we find ourselves.  An announcement in the media at this time that the GAA were going to fund an elite section of the GAA would not be received very well lets say by those who have been thrown out of work in Jacobs Biscuit Factory in Tallaght or Tom Hogans in Galway or do anything to promote the GAA in local clubs when 200,000 others are also unemployed.

2.   As a result of the recession, gyms, swimming pools and other facilities that the public have to pay for are closing down because people can no longer afford them.  While I appreciate the effort put in by all who contribute to the games I enjoy, I would also take a guess that there are many who are thankfull for and enjoy the training facilities that the GAA provide free of charge and with expenses covered.  As has been tradition since the foundation of the GAA, members have always been looked after and nowhere more so than in state jobs in this country, some player been elected as TD's and selected to run as political candidates for no other reason than they were GAA personalities.  I remember doing an interview for a job in 1969 and being asked "what paper did I read" (Irish Press = correct) and then "What Sports Pages did I read first" (GAA=Correct) and I passed in flying colours even though the job was in tellecommunications !  

3.  Money raised by the GAA is put to good use, back into the communities under national structural programmes.  What have the GPA done with all the money and sponsorship they have received, did the invest it in Anglo shares?  If not and they still have some funds there are plenty of institutes that provide training seminars at different levels for various types of careers.  Group bookings are available, go and look them up like everyone else has to do.

The impression I am given by this latest bleating from the GPA is that when they are finished their training they have to sit at home with no work sucking their thumbs!  This week I attended a very large funeral in Galway and Kerry and there were literrally thousands of people in attendance.  On both occasions the GAA took control of the situation placing up to 1000 seats outside churches, making sure the elderly got priority, directing traffic, controlling parking, ensuring family seats were  available and even down to the fact that it was a warm day, they had young lads distribute bottled (unsponsored) water to each person who sat in the heat outside because the churches were full.  They formed Guards Of Honour and were and absolute credit to the GAA, there was nothing that they left out, including food afterwards and I can tell you this, I and thousands like me were very proud to be GAA men and women on those two sad days.  The elitest should re-integrate themselves back into this type of community spirit and remember where we all came from.  Jobs will follow and the appreciation of the effort players make, whether it be walking around a field down the country with a bottle of spring water or walking around Croke park with a bottle of sponsored drink will be maintained.   I would say to the GPA, if you push your boat out now we will sink it for you.
" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

JMohan

Good post.

I truly do believe the GPA is now only a position for Dessie Farrell to make a few bob.

I would argue that 95% of the actual inter county players in the country don't give a damn about the GPA

Gnevin

Quote from: Pangurban on June 27, 2009, 02:00:33 AM
It is time for the GAA to wake up and treat this group of malcontents as the pariahs they are. There should be no recognition given to them or any contact entered into. Any Co.Players who find difficulty accepting this should be told to find somewhere else to play. The GAA will continue to exist without them and be here long after they are gone

Surely this is a case of keep your enemy's closer. Bring them on board officially or offer a direct competitor  and reduce their influence that way
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: JMohan on June 27, 2009, 09:18:46 AM
Good post.

I truly do believe the GPA is now only a position for Dessie Farrell to make a few bob.

I would argue that 95% of the actual inter county players in the country don't give a damn about the GPA

Exactly my thoughts. The GAA intercounty players are well looked after. Farrel whats he at when there not making announcements, feck all id say.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

bridgegael

Good post.

[/b]

you are probably right!
"2009 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

INDIANA

Quote from: The GAA on June 26, 2009, 11:56:31 PM

simple enough questions i would have thought.

as usual, the simple facts get lost in the bluster around these parts. ffs some idiot even posted that he couldn't even say what they wanted - directly under an article outling exactly that!

No-one forced their hand to play inter county football. They knew what was involved before they signed up to it. No point in whingeing after the event. If they don't like it they don't have to play it. End of.
Players come and go . They'd want to realise that. Some of these GPA heads think they are immortal or that the future of the Association depends on them.
If they aren't happy with the terms and conditions of playing an amateur sport then they can take their leave at any time they wish.

JMohan

(Good luck to them too I say - but don't cry about it)

I love the way Farrell says that The GAA need to help players get jobs ... many players have jobs they never should have but for that they ARE county footballers in the first place!!!!

There's a f*cking recession on Farrell - it's worldwide - not just for intercounty footballers

Overthebar!

Quote from: Bud Wiser on June 27, 2009, 09:13:16 AM
QuoteHowever, the GPA said they would not interfere with the actual staging of the two matches.

The day they do decide to interfere with the staging of matches will be the best thing that ever happens because on that day they will get their come-uppance.  The level of intelligence shared among the boys in the suits in this organizeation can be determined by their timing in announcing the reasons for this most recent ban they are talking about imposing.  

1.   This country, like others is in recession, ie, there is no money to fund exclusive programs at a time when even children are being left to die in hospitals while throughout the country other parents are scrimping and scraping and begging for funding for required operations to save their childrens lives. Everyone is taking pay cuts and despite the various political views the people in general are pulling together to work our way out of where we find ourselves.  An announcement in the media at this time that the GAA were going to fund an elite section of the GAA would not be received very well lets say by those who have been thrown out of work in Jacobs Biscuit Factory in Tallaght or Tom Hogans in Galway or do anything to promote the GAA in local clubs when 200,000 others are also unemployed.

2.   As a result of the recession, gyms, swimming pools and other facilities that the public have to pay for are closing down because people can no longer afford them.  While I appreciate the effort put in by all who contribute to the games I enjoy, I would also take a guess that there are many who are thankfull for and enjoy the training facilities that the GAA provide free of charge and with expenses covered.  As has been tradition since the foundation of the GAA, members have always been looked after and nowhere more so than in state jobs in this country, some player been elected as TD's and selected to run as political candidates for no other reason than they were GAA personalities.  I remember doing an interview for a job in 1969 and being asked "what paper did I read" (Irish Press = correct) and then "What Sports Pages did I read first" (GAA=Correct) and I passed in flying colours even though the job was in tellecommunications !  

3.  Money raised by the GAA is put to good use, back into the communities under national structural programmes.  What have the GPA done with all the money and sponsorship they have received, did the invest it in Anglo shares?  If not and they still have some funds there are plenty of institutes that provide training seminars at different levels for various types of careers.  Group bookings are available, go and look them up like everyone else has to do.

The impression I am given by this latest bleating from the GPA is that when they are finished their training they have to sit at home with no work sucking their thumbs!  This week I attended a very large funeral in Galway and Kerry and there were literrally thousands of people in attendance.  On both occasions the GAA took control of the situation placing up to 1000 seats outside churches, making sure the elderly got priority, directing traffic, controlling parking, ensuring family seats were  available and even down to the fact that it was a warm day, they had young lads distribute bottled (unsponsored) water to each person who sat in the heat outside because the churches were full.  They formed Guards Of Honour and were and absolute credit to the GAA, there was nothing that they left out, including food afterwards and I can tell you this, I and thousands like me were very proud to be GAA men and women on those two sad days.  The elitest should re-integrate themselves back into this type of community spirit and remember where we all came from.  Jobs will follow and the appreciation of the effort players make, whether it be walking around a field down the country with a bottle of spring water or walking around Croke park with a bottle of sponsored drink will be maintained.   I would say to the GPA, if you push your boat out now we will sink it for you.

good post bud wiser, your name does exactly what it says on the tin....

laoisgaa

As far as I can gather from the statement - this is only going to affect RTE and TV3 television stations, and perhaps radio also. For instance within two hours of the GPA statement being released the Tipperary PRO released an email that the Tipperary hurlers would have a press night this coming week with management and players in attendance - it's due to go on for about two hours as would be the norm with these gigs.

longrunsthefox

There'll be no keeping davy Fitz away from being interviewed  ::)

orangeman

This should come as no surprise - but let's not make a big deal out of it and don't over dramatise it. It's hardly a big story - the less coverage this gets the better.

corn02

Sorry? Please argue away to explain how you came up with this one.

I would be a GPA sympathiser and I would try to stay away from the hyperbole that the common GAA fan has fallen into - eg. GAA - good, GPA - bad, but I really don't see what they are trying to achieve here.

JMohan

Quote from: corn02 on June 27, 2009, 12:19:58 PM

Sorry? Please argue away to explain how you came up with this one.

I would be a GPA sympathiser and I would try to stay away from the hyperbole that the common GAA fan has fallen into - eg. GAA - good, GPA - bad, but I really don't see what they are trying to achieve here.

First of all - how many players are actually members?

Remember there are about 34 intercounty teams x 30= players in football and what 20+ teams in Hurling with 30+ players? ... on average. That equals 1600 players approx playing the games ...
if 100 players across the country are actually involved actively or affected by the GPA on a daily basis I'd be amazed.
And if even near half of that are relying on the GPA for any kind of employment I'd call BS.
If the GPA was serious it would be helping defend the likes of Keilt or helping represent Tommy Freeman or something like that.

So in my opinion most players aren't really affected by the GPA nor do they really care much about them.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not "anti GPA".

I am
1. Anti-pay for play
2. Anti-Whinging
3. Anti-paying Dessie Farrell a wage just to be a rabble rouser

4. Pro-Player Welfare