Biggest football championship Defeats/wins last 10 years (20 or more points)

Started by ross4life, June 25, 2009, 03:33:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stpauls

Quote from: ross4life on June 25, 2009, 05:35:55 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on June 25, 2009, 05:24:27 PM
What did Down beat us by last year? 5-19 was 34 points. Did we score 14 in total? I can't remember.

offaly 2-10 Down 5-19 (29pts)

should that not be 18 points?  :P
Offaly 2-10 (16) Down 5-19 (34)

damn it, beat me to it Archie!!  ;D

ross4life

Quote from: Archie Mitchell on June 25, 2009, 05:38:44 PM
Quote from: ross4life on June 25, 2009, 05:35:55 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on June 25, 2009, 05:24:27 PM
What did Down beat us by last year? 5-19 was 34 points. Did we score 14 in total? I can't remember.

offaly 2-10 Down 5-19 (29pts)

Offaly 2-10 (16) Down 5-19 (34)

34 - 16 = 18 pts.

Where is this 29 coming from?

sorry my mistake i was adding up another game lol
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

armaghniac

The back door makes these big scores more likely, the likes of Waterford that were getting it from Cork and Kerry are now getting it from others as well e.g. Waterford 0-08 2-21 Armagh (2003). Also the second chance means that teams may not fight as hard, by playing dead against Dublin Wexford improved their chances against Down and Armagh. Some teams in the qualifiers might not have their heart in it either.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Rossfan

Back in our 2nd best era didnt we beat London 10-18 to 1-10 in 1980 ? 35 points win.
Kerry once beat Clare in the 70s or early 80s  by 9-21 to 1-7 ...dont know if was League or Championship.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: Rossfan on June 25, 2009, 06:20:13 PM
Back in our 2nd best era didnt we beat London 10-18 to 1-10 in 1980 ? 35 points win.
Kerry once beat Clare in the 70s or early 80s  by 9-21 to 1-7 ...dont know if was League or Championship.

Close Rossfan - it was 9-21 to 1-9 in 1979 and it was championship. Became known as the Miltown Malbay Massacre - a reference to a Black and Tans attack there I think.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

ross4life

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on June 25, 2009, 07:10:01 PM
Mayo beat New York 3-28 to 1-8 in 2006. A total margin of 26 points.

was already included in list & was 2004 because we played new york 2006,
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Cosmo Kramer

Another one for the record books then...

Dublin 4-26 Westmeath 0-11 (27 points)

Biggest win by any team for 10 years, excluding London and New York massacres?
A few Mayo GAA videos if anyone is interested - www.youtube.com/CosmoKramer100

TacadoirArdMhacha

Close Rossfan - it was 9-21 to 1-9 in 1979 and it was championship. Became known as the Miltown Malbay Massacre - a reference to a Black and Tans attack there I think.

There's a good story about that one in Paidi's book. Apparently Micko was going mad on the bus to Miltown Malbay saying that Clare were trying to play games with them dragging them to the back of beyond.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

orangeman

Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on June 28, 2009, 05:32:39 PM

There's a good story about that one in Paidi's book. Apparently Micko was going mad on the bus to Miltown Malbay saying that Clare were trying to play games with them dragging them to the back of beyond.

Putting 9-21 past them put manners in them IF that was the plan.

Cosmo Kramer

You sort of worry that there might me more of this stuff in the coming weeks. Especially if the weather holds up and pitches stay hard.

The likes of Donegal, Down and Meath will have points to prove next week so Carlow, London and Waterford could be in for more hammerings. Then the likes of Clare, Roscommon and Westmeath are there for the taking in Round 2. If they hit on the likes of Down or Armagh, they could get killed.
A few Mayo GAA videos if anyone is interested - www.youtube.com/CosmoKramer100

thejuice

If it wasnt for Joe Sheridan last year coming on against Limerick we'd be on that list for the wrong reasons. We might be on it come next Saturday night for the right reasons but I dont think we'll beat Waterford by more than 15 (if we beat them at all).
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

NetNitrate

Teams that dish out an unmerciful hammering usually finds that it comes back to haunt them. It is better to take the foot off the pedal when you are seven or eight points up and let the game die it's natural death, as it will. Run out easy winners by all means, but no need to rub some extra salt into the wounds. The team that is on the receiving end of a mighty drubbing never forget the humiliation and live for the day when they can exact revenge. When Clare footballers finally won a Munster championship, they invoked that terrible battering at the hands of the Kerrymen.  Even if it seems unlikely that a weak footballing or hurling county will ever be in the position to right the wrong, or take an eye for an eye, someone else will come along and soften their cough, there's always a bigger fish as the man said. And many times it is the humiliated county who rise again to fell the hated bastards who bate them by twenty five points. There's wise sages in several counties around Ireland who have savoured thrashing their auld enemies but when they went for a drink at night, couldn't enjoy it. Dark voices in their heads, "MacBeth has murdered sleep, MacBeth shall sleep no more" kind of stuff. Nature is strange like that, it always balances itself out. The Greeks had a word for it but I can't remember it.

thejuice

Quote from: NetNitrate on July 01, 2009, 03:26:51 AM
Teams that dish out an unmerciful hammering usually finds that it comes back to haunt them. It is better to take the foot off the pedal when you are seven or eight points up and let the game die it's natural death, as it will.

Were you on the sideline in Carlow when we played Wexford?
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Irenses

Quote from: NetNitrate on July 01, 2009, 03:26:51 AM
Teams that dish out an unmerciful hammering usually finds that it comes back to haunt them. It is better to take the foot off the pedal when you are seven or eight points up

Is it that easy for players to "take the foot off the pedal" when they know there are guys on the bench who would gladly take their place the next day? Take Dublin last day. I thought they had eased up in the second half, Sherlock twice took points when a goal was on. But when the bench emptied and the likes of Ryan and Quinn came on they obviously felt they had a personal point to prove which upped the intensity again.