60s football was better

Started by Lovely Hurling, June 24, 2009, 12:18:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ziggysego

Cavanagh's talking through his cake hole. I was chatting to a mate from Fermanagh a couple of weeks ago. He was gutted that they got knocked out of the Ulster Championship. Normally I would be acting the lark and joking about Fermanagh football, but I didn't that day, saw that he was hurting enough. I consoled with him, that at least they're still in the All-Ireland. He didn't give two hoots about the All-Ireland. All he wants and the majority of Fermanagh ones want is an Ulster title.
Testing Accessibility

longrunsthefox

Sean is prone to silly stuff...  last year he said it meant more to him playing against Australia in the compromise carry-on than winning Sam with Tyrone. Don't mind him...

mylestheslasher

Quote from: tyssam5 on June 24, 2009, 10:37:29 PM
Quote from: mylestheslasher on June 24, 2009, 06:25:36 PM
Quote from: talktothehand on June 24, 2009, 01:27:10 PM
old football was crap. how many training sessions did county sides put in in those days anyway? tyrone have taken the gaa forward and everyone should realize that. TOTAL FOOTBALL. down are worried that if tyrone win another sam this year they will undoubtedly be the best team ulster has EVER produced!!

Maybe the best team the 6 counties has produced but it will be along time before Tyrone by pass Cavans teams of the 30's, 40's and 50's.

Is that true? If you take the present Tyrone team, more than half of them have 3 All-Irelands. Not sure about any of the Cavan teams, but I know there wasn't many players from 60,61 on the Down 68 team, maybe 3 or 4 max? How many Cavan men have 3 or more AI medals?

I'm not sure but an awful lot of them would have 2 and I believe a couple of them had 3. How many Ulster titles do the Tyrone players have. Cavan players of that era would have 7 - 10 I'd imagine.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: ziggysego on June 24, 2009, 11:01:17 PM
Quote from: mylestheslasher on June 24, 2009, 09:28:07 PM
Tyrone are having their day in the sun in recent times but maybe in 30 years time it will be the turn of say Monaghan (god forbid), maybe new levels of skill and fitness will be reached. Maybe the Monaghan fans of 2039 might then look back at Tyrone of 2008 and say how mediocre football was then. Would the Tyrone fans of 2039 accept that devaluing of their all irelands? I doubt it, no more than Down fans or Cavan fans will accept that their all irelands were won when football was of a crap standard. It always pays to look at things from the other side.

Cop yourself on. Down are held in high regards here. I've often heard my Dad speak about the great Doherty. However then he and Down players from that era decide to take a pop of the current style of Tyrone football , it is only fair and right that we hold up a mirror to them and ask was the standard genuinely that good back then.

Why should I cop myself on Ziggy - because you don' agree with me. Your dad might be a sound knowledgable man but that doesn't mean there are plenty of others that disregard football from past eras. There are plenty of comments on this board about how crap football was in the 60's and beyond which doesn't take a huge leap to saying the teams that played the football were also crap in comparison with todays teams.

ziggysego

Quote from: mylestheslasher on June 25, 2009, 11:20:38 AM
Tyrone are having their day in the sun in recent times but maybe in 30 years time it will be the turn of say Monaghan (god forbid), maybe new levels of skill and fitness will be reached. Maybe the Monaghan fans of 2039 might then look back at Tyrone of 2008 and say how mediocre football was then. Would the Tyrone fans of 2039 accept that devaluing of their all irelands? I doubt it, no more than Down fans or Cavan fans will accept that their all irelands were won when football was of a crap standard. It always pays to look at things from the other side.

Cop yourself on. Down are held in high regards here. I've often heard my Dad speak about the great Doherty. However then he and Down players from that era decide to take a pop of the current style of Tyrone football , it is only fair and right that we hold up a mirror to them and ask was the standard genuinely that good back then.

Why should I cop myself on Ziggy - because you don' agree with me. Your dad might be a sound knowledgable man but that doesn't mean there are plenty of others that disregard football from past eras. There are plenty of comments on this board about how crap football was in the 60's and beyond which doesn't take a huge leap to saying the teams that played the football were also crap in comparison with todays teams.

I for one didn't say or think football in the 60s was crap. I know you're not accusing me of that. However most people are just reacting to Doherty's comment. The point of my post was, if Doherty's going to criticise the standard of football today, then it is only right and proper that he gets the fair criticism back. Surely you must agree with me on that point.
Testing Accessibility

longrunsthefox

Aye Ziggy is right. It was the Down players from way back let themselves down by belittling Tyrone's current achievments. As Rambo said, "They drew first blood."

Onlooker

There are 4 Down players who have won 3 All Ireland medals - Dan McCartan, Joe Lennon, Sean O'Neill and Paddy Doherty.  They also won 3 National League medals and are the only footballers outside Kerry to have won 3 of each.  I was lucky enough to have seen them play and I can assure you that Sean O'Neill and Paddy Doherty were truly great forwards who would have starred in any era.

longrunsthefox

Quote from: Onlooker on June 25, 2009, 11:41:32 AM
There are 4 Down players who have won 3 All Ireland medals - Dan McCartan, Joe Lennon, Sean O'Neill and Paddy Doherty.  They also won 3 National League medals and are the only footballers outside Kerry to have won 3 of each.  I was lucky enough to have seen them play and I can assure you that Sean O'Neill and Paddy Doherty were truly great forwards who would have starred in any era.

No doubt they were but why do they feel need to belittle present Tyrone team?

Hardy

Rather than start another thread, can anyone help me with a pub argument? Someone claimed three Dublin players have four All-Ireland senior football medals. I can only get 2. Any ideas? I think the third one (if he exists) might not have played in one of the finals involved.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: ziggysego on June 25, 2009, 11:24:30 AM

I for one didn't say or think football in the 60s was crap. I know you're not accusing me of that. However most people are just reacting to Doherty's comment. The point of my post was, if Doherty's going to criticise the standard of football today, then it is only right and proper that he gets the fair criticism back. Surely you must agree with me on that point.

I agree that Dohertys comments were stupid but I don't agree that the correct response is to make similar comments back to him

ziggysego

Quote from: mylestheslasher on June 25, 2009, 12:14:20 PM
Quote from: ziggysego on June 25, 2009, 11:24:30 AM

I agree that Dohertys comments were stupid but I don't agree that the correct response is to make similar comments back to him

I agree that the ranting isn't the correct respond, but a respond non-the-less is perfectly validate if measured.
Testing Accessibility

Doire abú

Quote from: Hardy on June 25, 2009, 11:56:23 AM
Rather than start another thread, can anyone help me with a pub argument? Someone claimed three Dublin players have four All-Ireland senior football medals. I can only get 2. Any ideas? I think the third one (if he exists) might not have played in one of the finals involved.

Brian Mullins.

Kevin Heffernan won one as a player and three as manager, but I don't think managers get a medal so therefore could't be him.

5 Sams

Quote from: Hardy on June 25, 2009, 11:56:23 AM

Mullins and O'Toole are certs however the only other possibility is if Tommy Drumm came on as a sub in 1974.

EDIT:
Found this on the Dublin section of Hogan Stand under All Ireland Senior Football winning Teams.....looks like Mr J Grace is your 3rd man....

1901: M. McCullagh, B. Connor, P. McCann, J. Fahy, J. O'Brien, M. Madigan, J. Grace, J. Darcy, T. Doyle, J. Whelan, T. Lawless, M. O'Brien, L. Kelly, V. Harris, P. Redmond, D. Holland, P. Daly

1902: S. Mulvey, D. Brady, M. Casey, W. Sherry, J. McCann, T. Errity, J. Keane, J. Grace, J. Dempsey, C. Brady, P. Daly, J. Brennan, P. Weymess, A. Wall, J. Fahy, P. Breen, P. Brady

1906: M. Curry, D. Brady, J. Grace, J. Dempsey, D. Kelleher, J. Brennan, M. Kelly, M. Keane, M. Barry, P. O'Callaghan, P. Casey, H. Hilliard, M. Madigan, T. Quane, T. Walsh, P. Grace, L. Sheehan

1907: D. Kelleher, D. Brady, J. Brennan, J. Grace, J. Lynch. H. Hilliard, T. Quane, J. Dempsey, P. Casey, M. Curry, M. Barry, M. Madigan, P. O'Callaghan, T. Walsh, M. Kelly, D. Kavanagh, P. Grace

The Aristocrat Years

armaghniac

Quote.looks like Mr J Grace is your 3rd man..

Indeed, you should't diss Grace.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

rrhf

How many men have more than 3 all ireland medals?  What is the role of honour?