TV Show recommendations

Started by Archie Mitchell, June 23, 2009, 11:32:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnDenver

Series 3 of Ricky Gervais' After Life released today. I enjoyed the first 2. Lots of dry humour, and also underlying messages and meaning to the show. Looking forward to watching the new episodes.

Shamrock Shore

Quote from: JohnDenver on January 14, 2022, 11:53:54 AM
Series 3 of Ricky Gervais' After Life released today. I enjoyed the first 2. Lots of dry humour, and also underlying messages and meaning to the show. Looking forward to watching the new episodes.

Haven't watched S3 yet but the highlight of me in S2 was the actress from One Foot in the Grave (Margaret, the wife) playing a blinder as a cranky aul wan in a nursing home who was 100.

Pure gold.

Watching Mayor of Kingtown at the moment. Tis ok.

Dopesick was superb.

Never beat the deeler

Quote from: nrico2006 on January 14, 2022, 09:13:01 AM
Quote from: PMG1 on January 14, 2022, 12:17:01 AM
Quote from: imtommygunn on January 13, 2022, 02:25:50 PM
I would have love hate up pretty high. I thought it was fantastic.
Wholeheartedly agree, brilliant show.

There are a few shows that I enjoyed as much, if not more, than many others and for some reason don't include them due to how they are perceived, for one reason or another.  24 is one of them, which I sort of exclude due to the far fetched nature of some aspects of it, but is it not all down to simply how enjoyable a show is.  The snobs out there will factor in screenplays/writing etc. something that the West Wing is lauded for.  But is it better/more enjoyable than 24?  Same thing with Love/Hate, because its small time compared to the big US/global shows, I definitely can't say that there were any shows I felt were better than Love/Hate.

That first sentence... Are you James Joyce?

I also enjoyed Love / Hate
Hasta la victoria siempre

gallsman

Quote from: nrico2006 on January 14, 2022, 09:13:01 AM
Quote from: PMG1 on January 14, 2022, 12:17:01 AM
Quote from: imtommygunn on January 13, 2022, 02:25:50 PM
I would have love hate up pretty high. I thought it was fantastic.
Wholeheartedly agree, brilliant show.

There are a few shows that I enjoyed as much, if not more, than many others and for some reason don't include them due to how they are perceived, for one reason or another.  24 is one of them, which I sort of exclude due to the far fetched nature of some aspects of it, but is it not all down to simply how enjoyable a show is.  The snobs out there will factor in screenplays/writing etc. something that the West Wing is lauded for.  But is it better/more enjoyable than 24?  Same thing with Love/Hate, because its small time compared to the big US/global shows, I definitely can't say that there were any shows I felt were better than Love/Hate.

Yes, of course, appreciating good writing in a show is "snobbish". I find Gogglebox and First Dates can be quite enjoyable. That doesn't stop them being complete and utter shite.

HiMucker

What's The Last Kingdom like on Netflix? Thinking of diving in to that, seems to have got good reviews.

Jeepers Creepers

Ozark season 4 is coming Next week on Netflix. Highly recommend anyone who hasn't watched to get involved from the start. Just finished Dopesick on star. But jumpy back and forth for me but what a story of Big Pharm and the drug Oxycontin. You will understand Americas suspicion of Big pharma is not unfounded after watching this.

JohnDenver

Quote from: Jeepers Creepers on January 14, 2022, 12:55:45 PM
Ozark season 4 is coming Next week on Netflix. Highly recommend anyone who hasn't watched to get involved from the start. Just finished Dopesick on star. But jumpy back and forth for me but what a story of Big Pharm and the drug Oxycontin. You will understand Americas suspicion of Big pharma is not unfounded after watching this.

Didn't realise Ozark is out next week, another great show.

Dark Waters another film with Mark Ruffalo shining a light on on the rotten nature of big pharma.

Sportacus

I'm sure it's been mentioned here before, but Drive to Survive is a great watch on Netflix.  Looking forward to the F1 season after years ignoring it. Probably glad I did with Hamilton cleaning up. 

Milltown Row2

Quote from: HiMucker on January 14, 2022, 12:31:58 PM
What's The Last Kingdom like on Netflix? Thinking of diving in to that, seems to have got good reviews.

Loved it, its not Vikings but takes a different view from the same period of Vikings
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

mrdeeds

bigarsedkeeper

Quote from: mrdeeds on January 14, 2022, 02:10:40 PM
Is the Witcher worth a go?

I liked it - the 1st series takes a bit of concentration with different timelines involved. Magic, wars and monsters would summarise it. Wife couldn't into it at all.

nrico2006

Quote from: bigarsedkeeper on January 14, 2022, 02:31:58 PM
Quote from: mrdeeds on January 14, 2022, 02:10:40 PM
Is the Witcher worth a go?

I liked it - the 1st series takes a bit of concentration with different timelines involved. Magic, wars and monsters would summarise it. Wife couldn't into it at all.

I liked it too, but as mentioned with those type of medieval/fantasy shows, hard to keep up with the different tribes/races as well as the names.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

gawa316

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 14, 2022, 01:40:56 PM

Loved it, its not Vikings but takes a different view from the same period of Vikings

Agree with yes. I couldn't get enough of Vikings a few years back and this definitely helped to fill a big void when I was waiting in a new season. Definitely worth a watch.

Another show I watched recently was Outer Banks, doubt it has won any awards and although I'm not to hard to please I really enjoyed it.

On the same note I'm currently watching the latest season of Cobra Kai...can not get enough of that show!

J70

Quote from: Jeepers Creepers on January 14, 2022, 12:55:45 PM

Think I got to the early parts of season 3, got distracted by something else, and never got back to it.

I thought Ozark was decent, but not great. Something enjoyable enough to watch, but not exactly riveting tv.

It just never grabbed me like, say, the first couple of Fargo seasons, or The Sopranos, or Breaking Bad or stretches of the early seasons of The Walking Dead, where I couldn't wait for the next episode.

Basically not a show I would binge watch with all the choices we have these days.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: gawa316 on January 14, 2022, 02:55:19 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 14, 2022, 01:40:56 PM

Agree with yes. I couldn't get enough of Vikings a few years back and this definitely helped to fill a big void when I was waiting in a new season. Definitely worth a watch.

Another show I watched recently was Outer Banks, doubt it has won any awards and although I'm not to hard to please I really enjoyed it.

On the same note I'm currently watching the latest season of Cobra Kai...can not get enough of that show!

I see there is a Viking film coming out, Northman, trailers (as you'd expect) look good
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea