Clare v Galway - Saturday 11th July 2009

Started by Stay goalside of your man, June 22, 2009, 01:53:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

orangeman

Midman

anyone got online link where I can watch it?

orangeman

How did Carmody get staying on ?

Clare forwards were brutal  - Lee lorded it.

Joe annonymous.

seafoid

I was thinking they'd hammer Clare. They shouldn't be afraid of Cork or anyone else either. At least not until late august... 

orangeman

Quote from: seafoid on July 11, 2009, 08:58:02 PM
I was thinking they'd hammer Clare. They shouldn't be afraid of Cork or anyone else either. At least not until late august... 

Clare made it easy for them raining high balls into their defence where Lee and Cavanagh cleaned up.

Cork won't be as generous even if Aisake is the target man.

Silky

Just not nearly good enough that's the long and the short of it. We were second to every ball, lacked the ball control of Galway and haven't got a single forward who would get on any other top team.

seafoid

Cork may not be generous but they are a team in decline. They lost a big match in 2006 and that was it.  They seem to deploy their energy , what's left of it, off the pitch. Galway appear to be building up a nice bit of momentum too.   The O'Connors and Tom Kenny in their pomp buzzing around the pitch and popping points over from every angle and distance were a sight but that is going back some time now.

Reillers

Quote from: seafoid on July 11, 2009, 11:15:56 PM
Cork may not be generous but they are a team in decline. They lost a big match in 2006 and that was it.  They seem to deploy their energy , what's left of it, off the pitch. Galway appear to be building up a nice bit of momentum too.   The O'Connors and Tom Kenny in their pomp buzzing around the pitch and popping points over from every angle and distance were a sight but that is going back some time now.

Decline isn't the right word. I mean we've replacements for everyone's that "past it" I mean who is who's still playing?
The majority of our team is actually pretty young.

Jerry was one of the best players on the pitch against Offaly and Ben has been the stand out player for Cork this season and last.  As for Tom Kenny, he's playing fine hurling, there are one or two examples you could have used, but they were bad examples because well you're wrong.
Decline is done, this team is rebuilding, and I think we're a season early. Next season we could do anything, this one comes a bit too early.
Pa Horgan has been excellent but needs more time. Aisake will be devastating with a few more months under his belt. Fintan O Leary, McGann, Cadogan, Sully Og, Shane Murphy, Pa Cronin all finding excellent form, they just need time on the pitch. And at least now next season we'll (*touch wood*) have the League as well.
Oh and Brian Murphy is back which if played, can't see why he wouldn't be, he's one of the best in his position in the country, we can move our team around that will benefit more because now we don't need to hold Shane O Neill back and we can afford to move him more up field.

The players I think I'm tired of seeing are the likes of Niall McCarthy, Timmy McCarthy..etc. I mean they work really hard, but for the points they score, they'll miss as many and it's infurriating to watch. At times I wish that Walsh would just play all the young players we have, and see what happens. I can't see us winning the final this season, and I think next season will be the time to beat KK. Cork should be ready then. Half of me wants to just take that final step and get rid of some of the dead wood. The other half wants to see our best team out there giving it a lash. But I know that Walsh wont go with the first option, hell I doubt he'll even start Brian Murphy when you look at the way he selects the teams.

I don't know, hiopefully things will go well and Cork will go on to win, but I think it might be a year too soon.

INDIANA

why would you start brian murphy when all of the incumbents have been excellent.  if it was left to you reillers - JBM would be back playing.
Clare were awful. Need to sever all management links with 1995 and 1997. Galway were good though.

orangeman

Galway were good but Clare's so called forwards made it so easy for them to win the match. Still can't believe how inept they were in particular their half forward line who were brutal.

Bud Wiser

QuoteDecline isn't the right word. I mean we've replacements for everyone's that "past it" I mean who is who's still playing?
The majority of our team is actually pretty young.

Jerry was one of the best players on the pitch against Offaly and Ben has been the stand out player for Cork this season and last.  As for Tom Kenny, he's playing fine hurling, there are one or two examples you could have used, but they were bad examples because well you're wrong.
Decline is done, this team is rebuilding, and I think we're a season early. Next season we could do anything, this one comes a bit too early.
Pa Horgan has been excellent but needs more time. Aisake will be devastating with a few more months under his belt. Fintan O Leary, McGann, Cadogan, Sully Og, Shane Murphy, Pa Cronin all finding excellent form, they just need time on the pitch. And at least now next season we'll (*touch wood*) have the League as well.
Oh and Brian Murphy is back which if played, can't see why he wouldn't be, he's one of the best in his position in the country, we can move our team around that will benefit more because now we don't need to hold Shane O Neill back and we can afford to move him more up field.

The players I think I'm tired of seeing are the likes of Niall McCarthy, Timmy McCarthy..etc. I mean they work really hard, but for the points they score, they'll miss as many and it's infurriating to watch. At times I wish that Walsh would just play all the young players we have, and see what happens. I can't see us winning the final this season, and I think next season will be the time to beat KK. Cork should be ready then. Half of me wants to just take that final step and get rid of some of the dead wood. The other half wants to see our best team out there giving it a lash. But I know that Walsh wont go with the first option, hell I doubt he'll even start Brian Murphy when you look at the way he selects the teams.

I don't know, hiopefully things will go well and Cork will go on to win, but I think it might be a year too soon.

Please do not mention the C word on a Galway / Clare thread or Reillers will turn it into a 400 page bible about Sully and Jerry and ...

Woeful dissapointing match, even gave up watching it at half time. 

" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

Reillers

Quote from: INDIANA on July 12, 2009, 01:35:44 AM
why would you start brian murphy when all of the incumbents have been excellent.  if it was left to you reillers - JBM would be back playing.
Clare were awful. Need to sever all management links with 1995 and 1997. Galway were good though.

JBM..What are you on about, Brian Murphy is one of the best in the country, he is still playing and only stopped playing IC this season, and he's been very good with his club. That and playing him means we can improve the team not just there but we can bring Shane O Neill out the field a bit which will help us massively.

Clare were awful. They were outplayed all over the field, they brought nothing to the table. Galway wont have learned much from this game, and it's not a preformance you can really judge them on, but they were good enough. Clare though, haven't seen them so bad in a long time.

seafoid

Galway were dumped out the championship by 2 mediocre teams recently that weren't going anywhere - Clare in 2007 and Cork in 2008. Fair play to Cork for scoring a last minute point last year but I don't remember seeing them in the final.   

It's all a bit "shit or get off the pot" with cork. They still think they are entitled to keep the pot warm even though nothing appears to be coming.   

mouview

No, KK beat us in '07 Seaf. We will have plenty to do v Cork, regardless of how good or bad they are - traditional thing I guess. News about Adrian Cullinane isn't good from what I heard, plus Ollie *may* have concussion also which isn't good. The fact that Ger Mahon may now come in brings me out in a fever.

seafoid

Mouview

The memory must be going. Didn't they get beaten in Ennis back in 2007 early in July? Did that just put them in the path of the KK combine harvester? I remember the KK match in 2006. Jesus.

I was watching the RTE interview with McIntyre. He seems to be on the ball.
A nice change for a Galway hurling manager.  If Galway were to lose to Cork I think you would have to class it as a damp squib to what seems to be an encouraging bit of progress. I thought there would be a step up in approach in 2006 but instead there was a massacre and they lost their way more or less with Gerlock.

There seems to be a sense of smacht with the hurlers this year, more discipline, a bit of commitment. Less of the wishy washy traithiuil stuff.   

About Cork- i don't think the open era of second chances has enhanced their reputation. The jersey used to be mesmerising but they seem very mortal these days. The only jersey that to me seems to have retained the aura is the black and amber.