London v Down July 4th

Started by Trevor Hill, June 21, 2009, 06:24:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trevor Hill

Maybe people like myself, pangurban and co. want to see Down do well. Maybe we are sick of the substandard football being played by a team that we know are capable of playing at much higher level. Maybe pangurban, like myself and a lot of others want to see Down playing regularly against the likes of Tyrone, Cork, Kerry and the Dubs in Croke park. Do you not want that? Or would you rather players of the caliber of Coulter, Gordon, McComiskey and Co train for a game against London.
I suppose I should be happy enough, at least the aforementioned players are training, there are many others who are more than capable of playing and competing for Down at the highest level who cannot get on the squad. Maybe those players will turn up to support Down against London, most of them have been sitting in the stands at some point during the national league. I am sure I don't need to name names here.

lfdown2

Quote from: Trevor Hill on June 23, 2009, 01:52:29 PM
Maybe people like myself, pangurban and co. want to see Down do well. Maybe we are sick of the substandard football being played by a team that we know are capable of playing at much higher level. Maybe pangurban, like myself and a lot of others want to see Down playing regularly against the likes of Tyrone, Cork, Kerry and the Dubs in Croke park. Do you not want that? Or would you rather players of the caliber of Coulter, Gordon, McComiskey and Co train for a game against London.
I suppose I should be happy enough, at least the aforementioned players are training, there are many others who are more than capable of playing and competing for Down at the highest level who cannot get on the squad. Maybe those players will turn up to support Down against London, most of them have been sitting in the stands at some point during the national league. I am sure I don't need to name names here.

At this stage (as iv said before) we are not going to see a change in the management or squad and while agree that we want to be playing the big teams we can only play who we are drawn against you may get your wish and get Kerry in the next round what I am saying is I want down to progress as far as possible and if that means playing a few lesser teams before the bigger teams im happy enough tbh

Our Nail Loney

You can only play the teams put in front of you. The teams you named Trevor weren't in the qualifier draw, all Down can do now is beat London and wait for the next draw.

It would be nice for some of you to get behind the team on the pitch and stop yapping about players not on it.

Oh and I take it from your post you are implying that I don't want Down to do well?? Catch a grip will you.

Trevor Hill

We are merely delaying the inevitable in my opinion. I would rather have one good game against a decent team than win 4 games against weak opposition. But we have a duty as spporters to go out and support our team no matter who they play.

supersub

Thats exactly the sort of negativity that runs throughout down and is quite evident in the support at matches. Expecting them to get beat from the start and then criticising them on the way to the defeat. If you are so resigned to them getting beaten then don't go and criticise them at matches or on the board!!

Trevor Hill

Quote from: supersub on June 23, 2009, 03:08:45 PM
Thats exactly the sort of negativity that runs throughout down and is quite evident in the support at matches.

Maybe you missed the defeats against Cavan, Limerick, Tipperary and Fermanagh this year?

Pangurban

Our Nail Loney should have stuck to the soccer, he obviously knows nothing about the development of a gaelic football team. This is a nothing match, from which no benefit will accrue, its the last thing we need at this stage, and in my opinion makes it more imperative that we get our Co.Men back playing club football, rather than vegetating for another few weeks, otherwise we will be so far off the pace it will be embarrassing

Our Nail Loney

Quote from: Pangurban on June 23, 2009, 05:43:35 PM
Our Nail Loney should have stuck to the soccer, he obviously knows nothing about the development of a gaelic football team. This is a nothing match, from which no benefit will accrue, its the last thing we need at this stage, and in my opinion makes it more imperative that we get our Co.Men back playing club football, rather than vegetating for another few weeks, otherwise we will be so far off the pace it will be embarrassing

Should have stuck to the soccer? What are you on about?

Pangurban

It was you made the soccer reference and the ability to transfer your skills, i was perhaps being a little facetious, sorry

Our Nail Loney

Quote from: Pangurban on June 23, 2009, 06:01:41 PM
It was you made the soccer reference and the ability to transfer your skills, i was perhaps being a little facetious, sorry

Oh right, well my post was a tad sarcastic, I am not sure if it came across that way, I also apologise

Mid Down Gael

Hear Benny is out injured at moment after going off against Saval last Friday. Hope Ross and DJ dont rush him back for London game. If we can not take the field and win convincinly without the services of our top man then there is something badly wrong. Players like Timmy Hanna, Paul Murphy Ambrose, McKernan should all be giving starting roles.

Our Nail Loney

Quote from: Mid Down Gael on June 23, 2009, 06:43:41 PM
Hear Benny is out injured at moment after going off against Saval last Friday. Hope Ross and DJ dont rush him back for London game. If we can not take the field and win convincinly without the services of our top man then there is something badly wrong. Players like Timmy Hanna, Paul Murphy Ambrose, McKernan should all be giving starting roles.

Yeah should be a game to give some peripheral players a run out... Get the confidence up and build a foundation...

supersub

Quote from: Trevor Hill on June 23, 2009, 05:01:46 PM
Quote from: supersub on June 23, 2009, 03:08:45 PM
Thats exactly the sort of negativity that runs throughout down and is quite evident in the support at matches.

Maybe you missed the defeats against Cavan, Limerick, Tipperary and Fermanagh this year?

No as a matter of fact I was at 3 of the 4 matches you named there, and what has that got to do with negativity from supporters/you going into games? Even if we lost 8 on the trot you still have to support the team - not expect them to get beat before it starts!!

Mourne Rover

Trevor, in your comment on the qualifiers, you say you would rather play one match against a decent team than win four against weak sides. If we win four games in the open draw, regardless of the opposition, we would be in the AI quarter finals for the first time ever. I cannot see that happening, but would you really prefer to go out in the first round ?

Our Nail Loney

Quote from: Mourne Rover on June 23, 2009, 08:22:31 PM
Trevor, in your comment on the qualifiers, you say you would rather play one match against a decent team than win four against weak sides. If we win four games in the open draw, regardless of the opposition, we would be in the AI quarter finals for the first time ever. I cannot see that happening, but would you really prefer to go out in the first round ?

Of course he would, that way Ross and DJ would be out the door which is his agenda.