Gaelic Football on BBC Breakfast

Started by carnaross, June 13, 2009, 08:35:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

carnaross

Anyone travelling to Leeds to work/study are welcome to join St. Benedicts Harps GAA in Leeds.

Caid

When my country takes her place among the nations of the earth...then may my epitaph be written

carnaross

Coming up again in a minute - keep watching

Anyone travelling to Leeds to work/study are welcome to join St. Benedicts Harps GAA in Leeds.

Johnnie99

It was only the sports reporter going to the Rounds Towers club in London and joining in a training session, basis was that gaelic football is on the up in England and that more schools are taking it up when the soccer and rugby season is over.  One of the guys they interviewed was a Fulham trainee, looked handy enough to have on your team!

carnaross

gerry

Was it the normal sports reporter that done it as he is a strabane man
God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,

maggie

Its offered at my school-as an after school club.
I went out last week to watch them-about 30 boys currently doing it and was surprised to see how skillful some of them are at this 'foreign sport' already.
It has been just going this year on a weekly basis.

Norf Tyrone

Quote from: gerry on June 13, 2009, 09:37:39 AM
Was it the normal sports reporter that done it as he is a strabane man

Is he? If it's Declan Curry you're on about he usually does the markets, shares, finanace etc. Trust me, he ain't a sporty type!
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

Jimmy Joe

Quote from: Norf Tyrone on June 13, 2009, 09:42:14 AM
Is he? If it's Declan Curry you're on about he usually does the markets, shares, finanace etc. Trust me, he ain't a sporty type!

That's the one

laceer

They've been running those Cul Camps in Manchester over every school holiday and AFAIK it's being offered in schools as well

Good to see

rrhf

An imaginative promotion campaign in England would reap huge divedends over the next 2 years.   

Square Ball

there was a fella telling me that its on the up in France as well... a world championship looms  :)
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

Tony Baloney

Quote from: maggie on June 13, 2009, 09:39:49 AM
Its offered at my school-as an after school club.
I went out last week to watch them-about 30 boys currently doing it and was surprised to see how skillful some of them are at this 'foreign sport' already.
It has been just going this year on a weekly basis.
Shows how easy it is to pick up the kicking and basketball "skills" involved. Now hurling...

Rossfan

Quote from: Square Ball on June 13, 2009, 11:48:38 AM
there was a fella telling me that its on the up in France as well... a world championship looms  :)

A chap was telling me recently that about 80,000(EIGHTY THOUSAND) children are playing gaelic Football in France.
In England it's spreading to schools to all sorts of places e.g Wales and Tyneside not to mention Glasgow and the traditional haunts like London, Birmingham,Coventry etc.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

thejuice

I must admit its hard to see signs of it on the ground where I am. Theres a good under-age system but at adult level it can be a joke at times. Im just speaking of Warwickshire though.

Getting the championship on regular UK TV would give it a huge boost I feel. I speak to English lads often who remember it on Channel 4 back in the day and some of them organised games amongst themselves not realising there was teams over here for the craic.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016