DUP to reshuffle - just when you thought it couldn't get any worse!!!!!!!!

Started by Gaoth Dobhair Abu, June 09, 2009, 02:42:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

High Wide and Handsome

that mc causland is a twat

readin that article in the paper yday bout him not goin to gaa matches being played in grounds named after republicans.

go FCUK AWAY OFF THEN! Stay away fro our sport if you have any reservations
"Swing er over!"

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Just to really let you all into the bigots head!

Culture brief for vocal opponent of Gaeilge By Barry McCaffrey
23/06/09

TARTAN: Nelson McCausland in a kilted moment. He has been made the new Stormont minister for culture, arts and leisure PICTURE: Paul Faith/PA Nelson McCausland has repeatedly courted controversy during his 20-year political career.

The Oxford graduate was first elected as an independent councillor for north Belfast in 1989.

In the 1980s he was the leader of the Ulster Clubs in north Belfast, opposing the Anglo-Irish Agreement.

He served as secretary of the Lord's Day Observance Society for more than a decade.

Throughout his career the former teacher has been a vocal opponent of the Irish language and the GAA, which he has publicly accused of having an "Irish republican political agenda".

In November 1984 Mr McCausland led a campaign against St Malachy's Grammar School reopening playing pitches in a largely Protestant area of north Belfast.

He said he would be happy for St Malachy's College to use the pitches if an Orange hall was opened on the Andersonstown Road in west Belfast.

In January 1992 he claimed that financial troubles of the jewellery chain Ratners might have been due to "divine judgment" for the company's decision to trade on Sundays.

In September 1993 he said plans to build a new university sited in west Belfast would result in a "campus for Roman Catholics only".

In April 1994 the DUP's Ian Paisley jnr branded his future party colleague as "gaga, completely gaga" after Mr McCausland had urged unionists to use the term 'Ulster' instead of 'Northern Ireland' to refer to the six counties.

In September 1996 he criticised the GAA

for naming the All-Ireland football trophy after the organisation's founder Sam Maguire, whom he branded a "republican gunman".

When he stood against Ulster Unionist MP Cecil Walker for the party's north Belfast nomination two years later, Mr Walker later accused Mr McCausland of leading a "scaremongering right-wing faction" that should be treated with contempt.

Mr McCausland later defected to the DUP in opposition to David Trimble's leadership of the UUP.

Until recently he served as director of the Ulster-Scots Heritage Council.

In September 2002 Mr McCausland defended a Belfast City Council decision not to fund a film festival on the grounds that the title of the event included the word 'Celtic'.

"Northern Ireland is not a Celtic country or a Celtic region and its people are not Celtic," he said.

"Support for this festival would involve recognising the spurious claim that Northern Ireland is a Celtic country.

"It would be a denial of the cultural rights of the majority of people in Northern Ireland."

Mr McCausland raised concerns in 2006 that the redevelopment of a former north Belfast mill into flats could be filled by Catholic 'yuppies'.

"All nationalist areas are trying to bring back professionals in a bid to develop and expand their communities," he said.

"Basically this is part of a longer-term programme building up and expanding Ardoyne."

In August 2007 Mr McCausland branded a request to install Irish-language signs in Belfast City Cemetery as "arrogant, insensitive and offensive".

Mr McCausland, whose parents are buried there, said the proposals were "another step along the republican road of cultural apartheid".

Tbc....

EC Unique

Seems he is a right twisted little cnut with a serious chip on his shoulder. I would hardly think the GAA really give a fcuk what he thinks as he will have no real effect on us. Poots was a gent compared to the 2 that came after him.

5 Sams

I see Benny Tierney has struck a blow in return...

He says in his column in the IN today that because McCausland has refused to attend any GAA games in stadia named after "terrorists" that he is refusing to attend any Linfiled matches next season :D
The Aristocrat Years

High Wide and Handsome

Quote from: 5 Sams on June 24, 2009, 12:31:31 PM

He says in his column in the IN today that because McCausland has refused to attend any GAA games in stadia named after "terrorists" that he is refusing to attend any Linfiled matches next season :D

LMAO  ;D

Have the IN here must go and look at that lol
"Swing er over!"

Evil Genius

Assuming Mr. Tierney is referring to Windsor Park as being named after the British Royal Family (Windsors), then he is merely exposing his own ignorance.

Windsor Park was built in 1905. It was named after an area of South Belfast, as were a number of roads in the vicinity, known as Windsor, a reference to the old Windsor Linen Mill which used to operate locally.

The British Royal Family did not change its name to "Windsor" until 1917.

It is not thought that they chose to rename themselves after the football ground... ::)
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Doogie Browser

Quote from: Evil Genius on June 24, 2009, 01:16:19 PM

Assuming Mr. Tierney is referring to Windsor Park as being named after the British Royal Family (Windsors), then he is merely exposing his own ignorance.

Windsor Park was built in 1905. It was named after an area of South Belfast, as were a number of roads in the vicinity, known as Windsor, a reference to the old Windsor Linen Mill which used to operate locally.

It is not thought that they chose to rename themselves after the football ground... ::)
I think Benny was having a wee laugh, a nice wee tongue firmly in cheek moment, a light hearted quip that he didn't need to google, chill out man, have a Loop the Loop and enjoy the weather, assuming you don't live in Bunbeg  ;)

Donagh

Maybe he was referring to Edward III (of Windsor) but in case he's not and taking into account your history of printing lies on this site perhaps you will clarify a few things?

Have you any proof that Windsor Linen Mill existed?
Have you proof that Windsor Park was the name given to the ground since it was built, as opposed to becoming known as that at a later point?
Have you any proof that these roads names pre-date 1917?

Orior

Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on June 24, 2009, 10:20:04 AM
Just to really let you all into the bigots head!

Culture brief for vocal opponent of Gaeilge By Barry McCaffrey
23/06/09

TARTAN: Nelson McCausland in a kilted moment. He has been made the new Stormont minister for culture, arts and leisure PICTURE: Paul Faith/PA Nelson McCausland has repeatedly courted controversy during his 20-year political career.

The Oxford graduate was first elected as an independent councillor for north Belfast in 1989.

In the 1980s he was the leader of the Ulster Clubs in north Belfast, opposing the Anglo-Irish Agreement.

He served as secretary of the Lord's Day Observance Society for more than a decade.

Throughout his career the former teacher has been a vocal opponent of the Irish language and the GAA, which he has publicly accused of having an "Irish republican political agenda".

In November 1984 Mr McCausland led a campaign against St Malachy's Grammar School reopening playing pitches in a largely Protestant area of north Belfast.

He said he would be happy for St Malachy's College to use the pitches if an Orange hall was opened on the Andersonstown Road in west Belfast.

In January 1992 he claimed that financial troubles of the jewellery chain Ratners might have been due to "divine judgment" for the company's decision to trade on Sundays.

In September 1993 he said plans to build a new university sited in west Belfast would result in a "campus for Roman Catholics only".

In April 1994 the DUP's Ian Paisley jnr branded his future party colleague as "gaga, completely gaga" after Mr McCausland had urged unionists to use the term 'Ulster' instead of 'Northern Ireland' to refer to the six counties.

In September 1996 he criticised the GAA

for naming the All-Ireland football trophy after the organisation's founder Sam Maguire, whom he branded a "republican gunman".

When he stood against Ulster Unionist MP Cecil Walker for the party's north Belfast nomination two years later, Mr Walker later accused Mr McCausland of leading a "scaremongering right-wing faction" that should be treated with contempt.

Mr McCausland later defected to the DUP in opposition to David Trimble's leadership of the UUP.

Until recently he served as director of the Ulster-Scots Heritage Council.

In September 2002 Mr McCausland defended a Belfast City Council decision not to fund a film festival on the grounds that the title of the event included the word 'Celtic'.

"Northern Ireland is not a Celtic country or a Celtic region and its people are not Celtic," he said.

"Support for this festival would involve recognising the spurious claim that Northern Ireland is a Celtic country.

"It would be a denial of the cultural rights of the majority of people in Northern Ireland."

Mr McCausland raised concerns in 2006 that the redevelopment of a former north Belfast mill into flats could be filled by Catholic 'yuppies'.

"All nationalist areas are trying to bring back professionals in a bid to develop and expand their communities," he said.

"Basically this is part of a longer-term programme building up and expanding Ardoyne."

In August 2007 Mr McCausland branded a request to install Irish-language signs in Belfast City Cemetery as "arrogant, insensitive and offensive".

Mr McCausland, whose parents are buried there, said the proposals were "another step along the republican road of cultural apartheid".

So, the pitch has laid idle for the past 25 years. No doubt, if St Mals had used it, they would have encountered broken glass left by a very small minority who dont represent the good protestant people of ulster.

Incidently Cliftonille golf club backs onto the pitch, and i wouldnt call it a "largely protestant" golf club.

Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Maguire01

Benny Tierney's column doesn't mention any venues at all - GAA or otherwise. He mentions McCausland's litany of excuses as to why he wouldn't attend GAA matches. The Linfield reference was clearly tongue in cheek (i.e. Linfield will miss Benny's appearance as much as the GAA would miss Nelson's) - there was no reference (explicit or implied) to Windsor Park.

Evil Genius

Quote from: Donagh on June 24, 2009, 01:31:22 PM

Maybe he was referring to Edward III (of Windsor) but in case he's not and taking into account your history of printing lies on this site perhaps you will clarify a few things?

Have you any proof that Windsor Linen Mill existed?
Have you proof that Windsor Park was the name given to the ground since it was built, as opposed to becoming known as that at a later point?
Have you any proof that these roads names pre-date 1917?
I have no idea what you are referring to by "Edward III"  ???

As for my "history of printing lies on this site", I'd be curious to hear more about these lies (though would appreciate if you opened a separate thread, so as not to divert this one unnecessarily).

As for the Windsor Mill, I do not have to hand the book where I read of its being given as the reason for that area of South Belfast being known as "Windsor", but in any case, that does not alter my central point which was that WP simply cannot have been named in honour of the British Royal Family.

Windsor Park football stadium has never been known by any other name:
"Eventually the president of the club a Robert Gibson, who donated the Gibson Cup Trophy to the Irish League for the championship, along with others secured the lease of a ground at Myrtlefield, in the Balmoral area of the city. These three ground changes and the need to have 'an identity and a home' brought about the determination to purchase of a piece of land known as the 'bog meadows' just off lower Windsor Avenue in 1904. This ground was prepared and ready in 1905 for the first game on September 2nd against Glentoran. 'Windsor Park' as the ground became known has become the permanent home of Linfield FC.
http://www.linfieldfc.com/history.asp

There is ample proof that streets with "Windsor" in the vicinity long predate 1917. Indeed, there was an electoral ward called "Windsor" before that date:
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~jeanmccarthy36/WARDS/v_w_x_y_z.htm

Back to you.

"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

ziggysego

Evil Genius, you know me on here. I call it as I see it and have stood up for you on occasions when called for. In this case, regarding Benny Tierney, there was nothing untowards in his comment. It was a bit of gentle banter, which Benny is famous for. You're just looking for trouble, where there is none. Unintentionally of course.
Testing Accessibility

Evil Genius

Quote from: Doogie Browser on June 24, 2009, 01:20:33 PM

I think Benny was having a wee laugh, a nice wee tongue firmly in cheek moment, a light hearted quip that he didn't need to google, chill out man, have a Loop the Loop and enjoy the weather, assuming you don't live in Bunbeg  ;)
I am quite "chilled", thank you. I do not need to be "heated" in order to want to correct a commonly repeated canard about something in which I take an interest. Nor was the tone of my post anything other than moderate.

As for Benny and his "wee laugh", if, in order to make some point or other eg about the GAA, I were to make repeat some other myth, would you be happy if I were then to write it off as "tongue in cheek" or "light-hearted" etc?

Or would you post a correction, pointing out my error?
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Evil Genius

Quote from: Maguire01 on June 24, 2009, 01:56:00 PM
Benny Tierney's column doesn't mention any venues at all - GAA or otherwise. He mentions McCausland's litany of excuses as to why he wouldn't attend GAA matches. The Linfield reference was clearly tongue in cheek (i.e. Linfield will miss Benny's appearance as much as the GAA would miss Nelson's) - there was no reference (explicit or implied) to Windsor Park.
I have not read today's Irish News. I was going by this comment posted by "5 Sams" earlier today, where he noted:
"He [Benny Tierney] says in his column in the IN today that because McCausland has refused to attend any GAA games in stadia named after "terrorists" that he is refusing to attend any Linfiled matches next season"
Since Linfield play their games at "Windsor Park", I took that to be a clear reference to the stadium being named after the British Royal Family - a canard which does the rounds quite frequently in GAA circles.

Therefore, either Tierney was making a "dig" based on ignorance, or 5 Sams has misrepresented Tierney.

Back to you.
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Doogie Browser

Quote from: Evil Genius on June 24, 2009, 02:44:52 PM
Quote from: Doogie Browser on June 24, 2009, 01:20:33 PM

I am quite "chilled", thank you. I do not need to be "heated" in order to want to correct a commonly repeated canard about something in which I take an interest. Nor was the tone of my post anything other than moderate.

As for Benny and his "wee laugh", if, in order to make some point or other eg about the GAA, I were to make repeat some other myth, would you be happy if I were then to write it off as "tongue in cheek" or "light-hearted" etc?

Or would you post a correction, pointing out my error?
With respect, what a load of horseshit.  Benny Tierney made a joke I thought was funny, it went over your head (the joke) and you embarked on another google crusade and now are back tracking furiously.  What myth did Benny repeat?  He effectively said in a humorous way that there is as much chance of Nelson attending a GAA match as him going to Windsor.  I would say that is a nailed on fact, wouldn't you?
Again, I invite you to relax in the summer heat and not get too bothered about an Armagh man and cheesy jokes, if you know anyone from there you will find they have quite a repertoire of them.