DUP to reshuffle - just when you thought it couldn't get any worse!!!!!!!!

Started by Gaoth Dobhair Abu, June 09, 2009, 02:42:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ziggysego

Quote from: Maguire01 on May 27, 2010, 12:28:27 AM
Quote from: Nally Stand on May 26, 2010, 10:28:12 PM
I didn't know you were the content police.
Neither did I. Does asking questions make me the content police? Oops, there I go again.

:D
Testing Accessibility

Ulick

From Horeseman over at Ulsters Doomed!

http://ulstersdoomed.blogspot.com/2010/05/abc.html

ABC
That's 'Anything But Celtic' – and must be the new McCausland family motto, judging by the Minister for Culture, Arts and Leisure.

Nelson McCausland – the DUP Minister in question – has just made a fool of himself (again) for writing to Northern Ireland's museums asking them to give more prominence to Ulster-Scots, the Orange Order and 'alternative views on the origin of the universe'.

The first two are, of course, uncontroversial – both are part of what Northern Ireland is, after all. But the third item on McCausland's wish list brings him into the realm of the nutter, and makes him an object of ridicule amongst intelligent people in Northern Ireland and elsewhere.

"Without specifically mentioning creationism, Mr McCausland's letter includes a request for the trustees to consider how alternative views of the origin of the universe can be recognised and accommodated".

He has already been publicly dismissed by Richard Dawkins, and will undoubtedly be the object of as much ridicule as his fellow-DUP 'young earther' Edwin Poots.

But there is more to McCausland than merely an incomprehensible belief in creationism – he is trying his best to use his position to advance his own segment of Northern Ireland's society (the Orange, Protestant and Ulster-Scots segment), and to block the recognition of the other segment, the Gaelic, Celtic, Catholic one.

On his own blog (yes, even creationists can use the internet!) he expends considerable energy trying to dispel the notion that Northern Ireland is a 'Celtic' country, or that it forms part of the 'Celtic fringe':

Yesterday: "... we are not a Celtic country in a linguistic sense. Neither are we a Celtic country in an ethnic sense ... The use of the term 'Celtic countries' is therefore erroneous."

In April: "The Celtic Media Festival has been taking place this week in Newry and I was invited by Cathal Goan to attend and officially open the annual festival. ... Towards the end and in the context of some remarks about a 'shared and better future' I referred to the way in which the festival organisers described the participating countries as 'Celtic nations'. If we are to recongise and respect the cultural diversity of Northern Ireland, is it appropriate to describe us as a Celtic nation? Yes, there are some people who speak a Celtic language and there are many people who will regard themselves as culturally Celtic or even ethnically Celtic but that represents only one element in our diversity. Is there not a need for a terminology that recognises that important fact?"

The Minister appears to have a bit of a bee in his bonnet about the 'Celticness' of Northern Ireland. 'Celticness' itself is a fairly controversial concept, but in general refers to those areas in which that area's own Celtic languages and cultural traits have survived. According to such a definition Northern Ireland certainly has a very good claim to be Celtic. The area was almost exclusively Irish Gaelic before being 'planted' by a mixture of English and Scots – many also of evident Gaelic ancestry – in the 17th century. Nobody denies that there are many people in Northern Ireland whose ancestry includes other origins, but this is true in the south, and in Britain. Should England stop being called 'English' because there are other elements in its diversity? Or France French because of its North African immigrants?

The real irony in this, of course, is that the Minister carries a Gaelic surname, and thus cannot deny the Celticness of his own paternal line.

One definition of the name McCausland is: probably a variant of MacAuslan, which according to Black is an Anglicization of Mac Ausaláin 'son of Absolom', from the name of an early 13th-century cleric. However, there may rather be an underlying Gaelic personal name, possibly Caisealán, meaning 'little one of the castle'.

Is the Minister suffering from a case of autophobia?

Nally Stand

Maguire, why just pick out that line and ignore my points?

Trileac, not that I asked for your input as my post wasn't addressed to you but- personal abuse is for people with no real argument. (personal abuse and having no real argument - typical stoop tactic!)
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

Tyrones own

Quote from: Nally Stand on May 27, 2010, 01:41:50 AM

Trileac, not that I asked for your input as my post wasn't addressed to you but- personal abuse is for people with no real argument. (personal abuse and having no real argument - typical stoop tactic!)

Great question!!
Ah sure it's a very very common tactic employed around the board, laced with sarcasm they'll ask you to explain something to them,
then when you take the time and break it down to very simple terms for them..they shite themselves and attempt to control the damage
by changing the subject and or picking a line out of your post that has absolutely nothing at all to do with the point they had initially questioned you on, when that inevitably fails, they start with the personal insults..until untimately when a man 8) has enough of them single handedly over a barrel... it's the boycott :D :D

The funny thing is though..they apparently believe that the neutral reader here doesn't see through them for the empty vessels that some of them are...but then strength in numbers and all that.. that's another tactic and a topic for another day
Then with spectacular hypocrisy and in a last ditch effort to save face with the cheerleaders, it's all aboard in berating you for not answering questions :D :D....ye really are some craic lads!!
Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann

Maguire01

Franko

Quote from: Tyrones own on May 27, 2010, 12:52:14 PM

Great question!!
Ah sure it's a very very common tactic employed around the board, laced with sarcasm they'll ask you to explain something to them,
then when you take the time and break it down to very simple terms for them..they shite themselves and attempt to control the damage
by changing the subject and or picking a line out of your post that has absolutely nothing at all to do with the point they had initially questioned you on, when that inevitably fails, they start with the personal insults..until untimately when a man 8) has enough of them single handedly over a barrel... it's the boycott :D :D

The funny thing is though..they apparently believe that the neutral reader here doesn't see through them for the empty vessels that some of them are...but then strength in numbers and all that.. that's another tactic and a topic for another day
Then with spectacular hypocrisy and in a last ditch effort to save face with the cheerleaders, it's all aboard in berating you for not answering questions :D :D....ye really are some craic lads!!

Ah yes, a technique perfected by our own ardmhachaabu!

glens abu

Quote from: Franko on May 27, 2010, 01:44:31 PM
Quote from: Tyrones own on May 27, 2010, 12:52:14 PM

Great question!!

Ah yes, a technique perfected by our own ardmhachaabu!

that or acts like his uncle and runs away

J70

Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on May 26, 2010, 02:29:10 PM
Disgrace that this bigots agenda may now be forced on the museums. He's really overstepping the mark now!  >:(

McCausland Ulster-Scots and creation in museums call
The culture minister has asked museums to give more prominence to Ulster-Scots, the Orange Order and alternative views on the origin of the universe.

Nelson McCausland wrote to the trustees of National Museums Northern Ireland (NMNI) saying he wants the issues given consideration in the short term.

The Department of Culture, Arts and Leisure (DCAL) said it was part of its commitment to a shared future strategy.

It is understood National Museums NI has not yet responded to the letter.

Speaking on Wednesday, Mr McCausland said: "There are a range of perspectives and I want simply to have in there consideration given to reflecting the diversity of views in Northern Ireland.

"It's also in fact a human rights issue and an equality issue because culture rights, the rights of people in Northern Ireland, should be implemented."

In the letter, Mr McCausland said he believes his department and the trustees "share a common desire to ensure that museums are reflective of the views, beliefs and cultural traditions that make up society in Northern Ireland."

He says National Museums' contribution to the shared future agenda can best be achieved by "practical measures".

Among these measures are consideration of how best to recognise the role of the Grand Lodge of Ireland and other fraternal organisations.

Exhibition

He specifically mentions the "Plantation to Power Sharing" exhibition which is currently on at the Ulster Museum and suggests that the trustees should consider changes to the exhibition before the summer months.

In terms of Ulster-Scots, Mr McCausland wrote that the local history exhibition should recognise the contribution of the Hamilton Montgomery Settlement, considered to be the most important event in Ulster-Scots history.

The issue of the origin of the universe and the different theories explaining it was previously raised by Mr McCausland's DUP assembly colleague Mervyn Storey.

He said that he wanted the views of creationists - the concept of God creating the universe in contrast to the scientific theory of evolution - to be represented in the exhibitions.

Without specifically mentioning creationism, Mr McCausland's letter includes a request for the trustees to consider how alternative views of the origin of the universe can be recognised and accomodated.

In a statement, DCAL said it welcomed the discussions on the NMNI's potential contribution to the shared future agenda and was awaiting a response.

Meanwhile, SDLP culture spokesman Thomas Burns said it was "a mark of a liberal society that its cultural institutions should be free of party-political interference".

"Any attempt to politicise public spaces or dictate to cultural institutions is a serious threat to our hopes of a shared society and should be resolutely resisted," he said.

Sinn Fein's Barry McElduff criticised Mr McCausland's letter as "wholly unacceptable".

God forbid a science/history museum be based on facts and not delusions and feelings! I hope the NI public don't give in to these morons. Apparently another one of them objected recently to information being presented at the Giant's Causeway saying it was formed back in the pre-Cambrian. I guess they should have Bishop Ussher's work as well as the legends of Fionn MacCumhaill and the Fianna on display too! Teach the controversy!

Tony Baloney

Quote from: J70 on May 27, 2010, 03:59:05 PM
Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on May 26, 2010, 02:29:10 PM
Disgrace that this bigots agenda may now be forced on the museums. He's really overstepping the mark now!  >:(

McCausland Ulster-Scots and creation in museums call
The culture minister has asked museums to give more prominence to Ulster-Scots, the Orange Order and alternative views on the origin of the universe.

Nelson McCausland wrote to the trustees of National Museums Northern Ireland (NMNI) saying he wants the issues given consideration in the short term.

The Department of Culture, Arts and Leisure (DCAL) said it was part of its commitment to a shared future strategy.

It is understood National Museums NI has not yet responded to the letter.

Speaking on Wednesday, Mr McCausland said: "There are a range of perspectives and I want simply to have in there consideration given to reflecting the diversity of views in Northern Ireland.

"It's also in fact a human rights issue and an equality issue because culture rights, the rights of people in Northern Ireland, should be implemented."

In the letter, Mr McCausland said he believes his department and the trustees "share a common desire to ensure that museums are reflective of the views, beliefs and cultural traditions that make up society in Northern Ireland."

He says National Museums' contribution to the shared future agenda can best be achieved by "practical measures".

Among these measures are consideration of how best to recognise the role of the Grand Lodge of Ireland and other fraternal organisations.

Exhibition

He specifically mentions the "Plantation to Power Sharing" exhibition which is currently on at the Ulster Museum and suggests that the trustees should consider changes to the exhibition before the summer months.

In terms of Ulster-Scots, Mr McCausland wrote that the local history exhibition should recognise the contribution of the Hamilton Montgomery Settlement, considered to be the most important event in Ulster-Scots history.

The issue of the origin of the universe and the different theories explaining it was previously raised by Mr McCausland's DUP assembly colleague Mervyn Storey.

He said that he wanted the views of creationists - the concept of God creating the universe in contrast to the scientific theory of evolution - to be represented in the exhibitions.

Without specifically mentioning creationism, Mr McCausland's letter includes a request for the trustees to consider how alternative views of the origin of the universe can be recognised and accomodated.

In a statement, DCAL said it welcomed the discussions on the NMNI's potential contribution to the shared future agenda and was awaiting a response.

Meanwhile, SDLP culture spokesman Thomas Burns said it was "a mark of a liberal society that its cultural institutions should be free of party-political interference".

"Any attempt to politicise public spaces or dictate to cultural institutions is a serious threat to our hopes of a shared society and should be resolutely resisted," he said.

Sinn Fein's Barry McElduff criticised Mr McCausland's letter as "wholly unacceptable".

God forbid a science/history museum be based on facts and not delusions and feelings! I hope the NI public don't give in to these morons. Apparently another one of them objected recently to information being presented at the Giant's Causeway saying it was formed back in the pre-Cambrian. I guess they should have Bishop Ussher's work as well as the legends of Fionn MacCumhaill and the Fianna on display too! Teach the controversy!
Right they'd be too, as it's the result of a Tertiary eruption...  ;)

red hander