Setanta Sport on the brink of collapse.

Started by mournerambler, June 08, 2009, 05:01:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tempoman

Quote from: Tempoman on June 09, 2009, 01:39:12 PM
Anybody know what the story will be with regards subscriptions?? I have sky and subscribe to setanta, purely for the gaa (im in england). But i believe that there is a 2 month cancellation period.
Setanta going into administration wont immediately close them down.

Im just going to answer my own question. I seen this on moneysavingexpert.com

"Setanta Sports has confirmed it is desperately seeking to restructure its finances to prevent it collapsing.

The Irish broadcaster, which broke into the mainstream UK market in 2007 when it began screening live Premiership football, is reported to have failed to pay money owed to the English and Scottish football authorities.

A spokeswoman today told MSE the company was discussing a possible refinancing package but said no further comment could be made. A full statement is expected during the next 48 hours.

Protect your payments

Subscribers who have payments automatically taken by credit or debit card should immediately call the broadcaster and switch to direct debit payments if they still want the service.

This is to ensure they are not left out of pocket if the firm collapses.

No cancellation rights

If payments are taken by card, known as recurring payments, you have no right to cancel the payment with the card company, meaning you're relying on the firm, such as Setanta, to stop taking payments.

Martin Lewis, MoneySavingExpert.com creator, says: "Recurring payments are a hideous nightmare. The outrageous fact you cannot cancel them should be banned. They're never more dodgy than when a company is on the brink.

"Customers' inability to cancel means you're totally reliant on the company and its customer service. In crisis times, if administrators take over, your chances of getting through drop, meaning you could risk having the cash dripping out of your account for months."

Direct Debit is best

Yet pay by direct debit from your bank account, and you can simply cancel the instruction when necessary, so no money's taken.

The same principle applies to any regular payment you have with a firm in trouble as it's generally safer to pay by direct debit anyway"

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/protect/2009/06/setanta-crisis-how-to-protect-your-

clarshack

thanks for that. i just got my payment method changed from debit card to direct debit.

INDIANA

Heard on the grapevine that it is going to go back to being simply setanta ireland and the other subsidiaries will be sold off.

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Tbc....

the Deel Rover

Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on June 10, 2009, 03:33:55 PM
BSkyB refused to help out, seemingly.

would they have anything to gain by doing so gda ?
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: the Deel Rover on June 10, 2009, 03:39:20 PM

Report I read on internet said that Setanta offered them a bundle package on the EPL games that Setanta had, that BSkyB could offer to its customers for an additional cost, BSkyB in return giving Setanta some much needed revenue.
Tbc....

leenie

we just paid on thurs for the next 3 months what happens if it goes off air now?

what would the sports bars abroad (further than england as they can get r.t.e) use now to show gaelic matches?
I'm trying to decide on a really meaningful message..

tyrone86

Quote from: the Deel Rover on June 10, 2009, 03:39:20 PM

Apparently ESPN are looking to get into the PL market  in Europe and Sky are mad keen to keep them out.

INDIANA

they'll go back to being what they were originally- an irish broadcaster. The rugby coverage they have with the national league, golf and delayed Gaa games should keep them afloat here. But they're gone abroad.

scud

Quote from: leenie on June 10, 2009, 03:49:37 PM

we just paid on thurs for the next 3 months what happens if it goes off air now?

what would the sports bars abroad (further than england as they can get r.t.e) use now to show gaelic matches?

Probably a big screen like they always did  ;)

thebigfella

Quote from: leenie on June 10, 2009, 03:49:37 PM

RTE is available in Europe with Sky.

thebandit

Quote from: clarshack on June 10, 2009, 11:57:43 AM
thanks for that. i just got my payment method changed from debit card to direct debit.

I rang at 2pm and was told that they couldn't change payment methods because the system was down >:(

Bogball XV

Quote from: INDIANA on June 10, 2009, 04:23:08 PM
they'll go back to being what they were originally- an irish broadcaster. The rugby coverage they have with the national league, golf and delayed Gaa games should keep them afloat here. But they're gone abroad.
that's what they should have stayed at, their model was entirely flawed, in saying that they almost got lucky in that ESPN were almost silly enough to buy them up last year.

SidelineKick

Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on June 09, 2009, 11:08:45 AM
Phoned Virgin a month or two ago and the lad said that they would change my charges (gave a slight reduction on what I was paying).
They sent out a letter confirming these changes, when I phoned back the next month to complain tat my bill had gone up (to be told tough everyones bills were going up!) I was informed that we were now being tied into another 12 month contract, even though I never signed anything and wasn't told about the contract on thte phone!

Am just wondering if I have anyway out of this contract with Virgin, have been with them for 3 years.

Had an awful experience with these shower of bastards in final year of uni.  Got the fellas out to get her back on again after it was cut off, this tied us into another 12 months, from Feb even though we'd be away come June and weren't aware of this.  It was £30 a month.  I was pleased to know I could cancel even though there would be a fee.  We had 8 months left - £240.  So we decided to cancel - cancellation fee was £10 per month per service. We had 3 services.  £30 per month x 8 months = yes thats right, £240 the same as keeping it on. TRAMPS!!
"If you want to box, say you want to box and we'll box"

Reported.

Puckoon

I got a new debit card two years ago and my account which had been rolling over annually didn't automatically roll over due to the new numbers on the new card.
Worth a try if you don't want them taking money.

Anyway what a shower of feckers. What happens to exiles wanting to watch games now? Surely RTE can step into the breach and put something together for online broadcasts???