Should tickets have different prices depending on where you're sitting ?

Started by orangeman, June 03, 2009, 01:50:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

orangeman

This is something that has bothered me for a long time.

Why should the best seats in Croke Park, say middle of lower deck of the Cusack stand or Hogan stand ( or any other stadium for that matter ) be the exact same price as say section 701 row Z of the upper Cusack where the players are like dots and / or you can't even see the ball ??

Is it not time now to charge more for so called better quality seats and less for so called lesser quality seats ??

Most stadia and sports have this system ?.

I think supporters would be quite prepared to pay more for a better seat and would anticipate paying less for a seat that is in the clouds.

Ok it may lead to accusations about those with money getting better tickets etc but surely the current system isn't equitable either.

In addition, if someone in Croke Park is reading this, they might see this as a good way of charging another €10 for the so called better seats and thereby increasing the ticket receipts ?.

armaghniac

I see a lot of merit in this. If you were in Croke Pk for rugby or U2 you would not pay the same price everywhere.
Those "with money" already enjoy premium seats, so it is not a new concept.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Gnevin

The best tickets go to the clubs and club members . Increasing the prices of these would punish them.
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

DennistheMenace

Quote from: orangeman on June 03, 2009, 01:50:07 PM
Ok it may lead to accusations about those with money getting better tickets

Don't see what is wrong with that anyway, the same in any walk of life and the majority of sporting events.

Agree with your main point, definitely should be implemented, you should get what you pay for.

Maguire01

Agreed. Especially in cases such as the Gerry Arthurs stand in Clones where the price is the same whether you're in the covered seats or not - it's the same with many of the other mickey mouse stands around the country.

Deal_Me_In

Quote from: Gnevin on June 03, 2009, 01:54:48 PM
The best tickets go to the clubs and club members . Increasing the prices of these would punish them.

You wouldn't necessarialy have to increase the ticket prices, keep the best seats at the current price and lower the price of the seats in sections which are not central etc accordingly. This would also be good PR for the GAA & Croke Park as they would effectively be seen to be rewarding club members and lowering prices. Season ticket holders would automatically qualify for the better seats as they pay the highest price for tickets already.

orangeman

Quote from: Deal_Me_In on June 03, 2009, 02:02:41 PM

You wouldn't necessarialy have to increase the ticket prices, keep the best seats at the current price and lower the price of the seats in sections which are not central etc accordingly. This would also be good PR for the GAA & Croke Park as they would effectively be seen to be rewarding club members and lowering prices. Season ticket holders would automatically qualify for the better seats as they pay the highest price for tickets already.
[/b]

How much were the season tickets incidentally ?.

Doohicky

Quote from: orangeman on June 03, 2009, 02:05:52 PM
Quote from: Deal_Me_In on June 03, 2009, 02:02:41 PM

[/b]

How much were the season tickets incidentally ?.

75 Euro for the League and first round of Championship.

Then you have to automatically buy tickets for all other matches in the stand sections. Think there may also be 5 euro off these seats, but not for finals.

armaghniac

Increase ticket prices, but give a discount for paid up club members, who would pay the same in the better seats or a bit less in the bad seats. People not club members and or season ticket holders would have to pay full whack.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

orangeman

Quote from: armaghniac on June 03, 2009, 02:15:29 PM
Increase ticket prices, but give a discount for paid up club members, who would pay the same in the better seats or a bit less in the bad seats. People not club members and or season ticket holders would have to pay full whack.

Might be difficult to administer but given the will, it might work.  Would all clubs not have to introduce a common membership fee ?.

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Whilst it maybe a difficult system to impliment, I think there's definately something worth taking forward about this.
Tbc....

T Fearon

I too have long argued for this, particularly in Croke Park where, for GAA matches, you pay the same if you're up in the clouds or in the middle of the lower Hogan.

orangeman

Quote from: T Fearon on June 03, 2009, 04:41:21 PM
I too have long argued for this, particularly in Croke Park where, for GAA matches, you pay the same if you're up in the clouds or in the middle of the lower Hogan.

Why isn't it done ?

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: orangeman on June 03, 2009, 09:19:10 PM

Why isn't it done ?

probably because the people making the decisions are sitting in the good seats  ;)
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

orangeman

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on June 03, 2009, 09:49:17 PM
Quote from: orangeman on June 03, 2009, 09:19:10 PM

Why isn't it done ?

probably because the people making the decisions are sitting in the good seats  ;)

Never thought of that one.  ;)