Ulster Semifinal- Derry v Tyrone 21/6/09 Casement Park

Started by Oakleafer93, May 31, 2009, 03:36:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

talktothehand

Quote from: Rick O Shea on June 18, 2009, 09:31:30 AM
Quote from: talktothehand on June 17, 2009, 09:54:13 PM
my heart says tyrone but my head isn't sure. it is just too awful to imagine being beaten by derry. i was born and brought up there for god's sake!! we need to step up a bit though and need big sean, muggsy, stevie and all firing on all cylinders. big joe as sweeper could cut the supply into the bradleys though. fingers crossed!

Can i ask why you don't support derry then?  ;)  ???

If i was ever so unfortunate to have to move to tyrone there is nothing that would make me support them...  ;D

my parents are both from tyrone and only ever being taken to tyrone matches as a child gave me an inherent loathing of derry. had to listen to them for ten years after they won SAM so i can't be accused of being a glory hunter either. my accent does sound odd though when i shout at a match lol :-)

lynchbhoy

Quote from: nrico2006 on June 18, 2009, 09:39:01 AM
QuoteLook lad - Derry are missing a host of players - you tyronies are talking this game up big time. If Derry had the full team available - I would expect them to win - however sunday is going to be nothing more than a "holding action" for us

What key players are Derry missing, Feargal Doc and possibly Enda Muldoon.  Tyrone will not be starting Dooher and I am not sure if McConnell is available for selection so it seems pretty balanced.  The other players you refer to are hardly key players or are players who have done little if anything in senior champiosnhip football to suggest their absence would have a detrimental affect on Derrys performance.  Why would you expect Derry to win with a full team?  I would expect a close game and to be honest its as tough a game as there is to call.  As mentioned earlier, Tyrone in Croke Park in August or September against Derry and I would fully expect a Tyrone win, but at this stage of the year and with the likely negatove tactics that will be employed by Derry akin to 2006 (now that was a Tyrone team decimated by injuries to key players).

brilliant nrico
Mr Pot I think I hear mr kettle calling you ! ! !
:D :D

as for the game, Derry will be very depleted in midfield now and instead of lording it i lar na pairce, will prob be kept down to breaking even.
The ref will be important to keep sean 7 steps cavanagh from fouling the ball every time again, and I cant see tyrone keeping the ball off the bradleys.
Should have been a walk in the park for Derry, now with inj and suspensions it will prob only be a Derry win by 9 points.
Derry 3-13 tyrone 1-10

peterquaife

Quote from: talktothehand on June 17, 2009, 09:54:13 PM
my heart says tyrone but my head isn't sure. it is just too awful to imagine being beaten by derry. i was born and brought up there for god's sake!! we need to step up a bit though and need big sean, muggsy, stevie and all firing on all cylinders. big joe as sweeper could cut the supply into the bradleys though. fingers crossed!

you jump ship in 2003?

Chuck Lidl

will lynchbhoy affect the referee? find out in the next episode

Fuzzman

For years people often slagged off us Tyronies for being full of ourselves and over confident and rightly so in many cases.
Now with 3 AI's at least we can at least feel a little justified to be smug the odd time.

But I think of some of the Derry lads seem to have got swept away with their view of their team.
Sure ye have improved a lot & with a full team you'd be in the top 5 or 6 teams in the country but its a long time since ye were real title contenders and whether or not ye win on Sunday I think ye really wanna catch yerselves on.

Maybe ye are just wumming but to confidently say that a fully fit Derry team would beat a fully fit Tyrone team then you really are wide off the mark.

As the buthcher says
"The steaks have been raised"

Doogie Browser

What of Colm McCullagh?  Is he likely to start on Sunday, if he is fit i would think he will get a run out at some stage.

Bensars

Its a false air of confidence to  mask their  inferiority complex

cornerback

Quote from: Fuzzman on June 18, 2009, 10:39:24 AM
For years people often slagged off us Tyronies for being full of ourselves and over confident and rightly so in many cases.
Now with 3 AI's at least we can at least feel a little justified to be smug the odd time.

But I think of some of the Derry lads seem to have got swept away with their view of their team.
Sure ye have improved a lot & with a full team you'd be in the top 5 or 6 teams in the country but its a long time since ye were real title contenders and whether or not ye win on Sunday I think ye really wanna catch yerselves on.

Maybe ye are just wumming but to confidently say that a fully fit Derry team would beat a fully fit Tyrone team then you really are wide off the mark.

As the buthcher says
"The steaks have been raised"

Certainly not wumming when i say i'm confident of a derry victory on Sunday  :-*

blewuporstuffed

I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Lamh Dhearg Alba

Predictions of a comfortable win for Tyrone are a bit strange. As O' Neill said Tyrone are nowhere the top of their game at this stage of the season and all that matters is scraping through regardless of performance. Same as the Armagh game any kind of win will do and Id be happy with an 0-8 to 0-7 in a shocker of a match.

I see a few people are asking about McCullagh and hopefully he is nearing fitness. Injury meant he didnt have an impact on last years AI final but his form up until then was crucial in Tyrone's success and we could do with having him back ASAP.

longball

Some shocks on the Derry team that has been named. McCloy out injured.
Spotted any unladylike behaviour report within:
http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=13209.0

Mr. Nakata

1-9 picks itself for me. 10-15 will be difficult to guess but the beard will shake it up I think. I like Tommy McGuigan and his free taking is usually sublime, but against Armagh he had a stinker. Dooher's lack of fitness will probably mean he retains his place. If McCullagh is fit he comes in for penfold. So my guess at 10-15 is Tommy, McCullagh, Joe, SON, Sean & Mugsy.

longball

Quote from: Mr. Nakata on June 18, 2009, 11:34:28 AM
1-9 picks itself for me. 10-15 will be difficult to guess but the beard will shake it up I think. I like Tommy McGuigan and his free taking is usually sublime, but against Armagh he had a stinker. Dooher's lack of fitness will probably mean he retains his place. If McCullagh is fit he comes in for penfold. So my guess at 10-15 is Tommy, McCullagh, Joe, SON, Sean & Mugsy.

Team named 2nite will be the same as the team that started against Armagh. Thats 100%.

Whether or not its the team that actually starts the game remains to be seen.
Spotted any unladylike behaviour report within:
http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=13209.0

Rois

I think Tony Scullion calls it right in the IN today.

Kentucky Blue

FAO nrico2006 re: key players absent.

I think every man fully fit and available for selection i.e not in Oz, the certain starters that derry are missing on sunday would be; Fergal Doc, Big Niall, Big Enda, Patsy Bradley, Mickey McGoldrick who Cassidy rates very highly.

Liam Hinphey & Brian Mullan would have been close as well but probably not have started with the development of the McGoldrick's in the halfback line.

But regardless of all that its unfair to the players available and disrespectful to emphasise the men missing. Still think derry can turn in a big performance, hopefully playing something like they played at the start of the second half in Omagh in the league.
Still be a massive ask but looking forward to a good game, wont be more than a kick off the ball either way id imagine.