Ulster Semifinal- Derry v Tyrone 21/6/09 Casement Park

Started by Oakleafer93, May 31, 2009, 03:36:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SidelineKick

Quote from: loughshore lad on June 03, 2009, 09:37:44 AM
As far as I know Brian McGuigan should hopefully be ok by the time the Derry games comes round, his non participation on sunday was precautionary and if it had of been a knock out game he probably would have been in the reckoning to play some part.

Hard to know who will mark the Bradleys - Mickey as we know often does the unexpected.  I think Conor Gormley will most likely pick up Paddy.  Eoin is the real danger man in my opinion, you could see PJ or Justy on him as he has serious pace.

Paddy would be more consistent but if Eoin takes a notion that he wants to score 1-5 he'll do it!  Only danger with that is he could miss the same! Can be unpredictable but has certainly settled this year and is bringing more boys into the game.  Certainly think that he can be more dangerous too.
"If you want to box, say you want to box and we'll box"

Reported.

ONeill

Quote from: Doire abĂș on June 03, 2009, 08:58:03 AM

That was completly accidental, you could tell by Tohill's reaction, as well as the ref's and the Tyrone player's (Cormac McAnallen i think).

Was that the day Sean Cavanagh was sniped from the crowd?  :D :D :-[

Completely accidental? To swing your elbow back at a player in frustration was accidental? That incident was Tohill's last meaningful act as a Derry player and a sign that the big man from Swatragh's time was at an end.

Great player may I add.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Mid Mon

WITH a E1.6m face-lift completed, MacCumhaill Park has entered the bidding contest to win over the Ulster Council to stage the semi-final clash of All-Ireland champions Tyrone and Derry on June 21.

ONeill

Quote from: Maguire01 on June 03, 2009, 10:49:19 AM
Quote from: ONeill on June 03, 2009, 10:26:38 AM
Great player may I add.
Not such a great pundit.

Ach he's not that bad. You feel he has a lot to say that's different from the norm but hasn't the confidence to express. He has a bit of that Ulster Presbyterianism in him.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Mr. Nakata

When we beat Derry in the league this year who picked up Paddy?. I was there but the details are patchy. Now correct me if I'm wrong but I think Justy started on him and got roasted, then Gormley moved on him and he also got roasted. So whoever has the job, it's a pretty depressing one. Justy looked impressive in the half back line against Armagh, intercepting a lot of ball and setting up attack after attack, yet he might be moved further back for this one. I think himself and the block will be tasked with the Bradleys with Ricey this time in the more advanced role.

Kentucky Blue

Some very interesting reading lads and i'd a right bit to wade through but for my worth as a derry man, i'll give my opinions....

Venue;
would much prefer Clones, really has a more championship feel and parking is better. The banter is a lot better around the bars and atmosphere is ten times better. Casement stewards are a disaster too. Clones would have the edge in terms of the GAA trying to promote more family tickets.

Potential suspensions;
On Mullan's it appears there will be little resistance and he will take his medicine. On Doc's I'd be very disappointed if an 8 week ban was implemented, Clerkin who was acting the maggott from the throw-in would get off scott-free would be a travesty IMO. The ref dealt with Doc on the field and I think it should be left at that. Unlike last year against Donegal where he was pulled up by video evidence because the ref didnt action. Failing that, i hope Derry appeal as he would be a massive loss (as seen against Fermagh last year) The blow would be softened if Patsy and Big Enda but very unfortunate all 3 ruled out it may appear

Match itself;
Think it will be a good game and Pat McEneaney would be the logical choice to be ref. Tyrone will be clear favourites with the bookies and most pundits and rightly so. Anyone who thinks Derry are favourites maybe does not know as much as they make out.
Derry IMO are capable of winning the game but it would be a real close affair still if they did. I expect the game to come down to the last 10 minutes and maybe the strengths of the benches and calls of the managers to swing it. Derry may need something special from the Bradley's, maybe need a goal to win it and team selection will be important, as will the man marking roles applied. I think Lockhart would be best equipped for O'Neill.

Really looking forward to it regardless!

P.S - The likes of Hardstation coming onto a DERRY-TYRONE thread and having an opinion on everything is wearing a bit thin.  ::)

full back

Quote from: Kentucky Blue on June 03, 2009, 11:18:54 AM
The ref dealt with Doc on the field and I think it should be left at that. Unlike last year against Donegal where he was pulled up by video evidence because the ref didnt action.

It might be what the referee didnt see that may be a problem KB

Bensars

Cant see Mc Eneaney reffing two tyrone games in a row. My guess it will Duffy, especially if he copes anyway well in the Dubs V Meath game at the weekend

Kentucky Blue

yeah, know where you are coming form full back. Just think the process is a shambles, 10 days on from the game and we are none the wiser with regards to the potential suspensions.
Just really irked me that Dick Clerkin who was out from the word go to act the maggott with Doc has got away scott-free.
Encouraged to see Derry pull together though when Doc got the line last time out. Sometimes things like this can really galvanise a team and get the motivation up. Hard to tell

Maguire01

Quote from: Kentucky Blue on June 03, 2009, 12:00:00 PM
Just really irked me that Dick Clerkin who was out from the word go to act the maggott with Doc has got away scott-free.
Maybe Doherty should have stuck to 'acting the maggot' too.

SidelineKick

Maguire I'm not going to get into the whole "he made me do it" thing as Doc should have had some self control.  But you obviously have very limited knowledge of Fergal Doherty as I have seen him play dozens of times for club and county, Ulster Championships and mickey mouse comps, and he never gets involved in any of this petty shit.  I'm not saying Dick was solely to blame but he would certainly have been tipping the scales more than Doc.
"If you want to box, say you want to box and we'll box"

Reported.

tbrick18

Quote from: Maguire01 on June 03, 2009, 12:39:26 PM

Maguire is there not a qualifier thread you should be spending you time on these days???  :D  ;)

Maguire01

Quote from: SidelineKick on June 03, 2009, 01:07:19 PM
Maguire I'm not going to get into the whole "he made me do it" thing as Doc should have had some self control.  But you obviously have very limited knowledge of Fergal Doherty as I have seen him play dozens of times for club and county, Ulster Championships and mickey mouse comps, and he never gets involved in any of this petty shit.  I'm not saying Dick was solely to blame but he would certainly have been tipping the scales more than Doc.
I didn't comment on Doherty's character, or what he "never" does - just on what he did on this occassion.

Maguire01

Quote from: tbrick18 on June 03, 2009, 01:09:00 PM
Quote from: Maguire01 on June 03, 2009, 12:39:26 PM

Maguire is there not a qualifier thread you should be spending you time on these days???  :D  ;)
Yes, and i'm sure you'll be joining me soon enough.