Proxy Servers

Started by pintsofguinness, May 28, 2009, 11:55:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pintsofguinness

Quote from: ardmhachaabu on June 12, 2009, 10:00:40 PM
pints, just came across this on orchardcounty.com

Quotethis was posted on the antrim website ahead of the hurling last week- i didn't get to try it- but it sounds plausible enough:

The first thing we need to do is find a link to the .smil file for the particular programme. To do this, first click on the link on the RTE website to view the programme in question. If you are outside Ireland, the embedded Real Player will show a message saying the programme is only available inside Ireland. Right-click on this window and select 'open in Real Player'. This will start Real Player as a standalone program and show the same message.In the standalone Real Player, select 'file', then 'clip properties' and 'view clip info' (or CTRL+I). This will display a .smil link. Copy this link.Now you need to download this link and open it in notepad. Trouble is, if you're outside Ireland, this is where the geoblock kicks in. So if I download this link here in NZ and open in notepad I just get some html with 'nz auckland' in it, because it's identified my location from my IP address. One way around this is to use and Irish proxy server, the trouble is a working Irish proxy is ridiculously hard to find, so there's a much easier way: Email the .smil link to a friend in Ireland (32 Counties)and ask them to download to their desktop and open in notepad. Because they're in Ireland, they will get the un-geoblocked version. When they open it in notepad, inside will be a direct .rm link to the stream required. It will look something like this; rtsp://streaming3.rte.ie/geoblock/937781e0c4b2d229ee3c7dd9f8be374f/geoblock/2008/thematch-186581-243.rm

Once your friend emails you back with this link copy it, open in your Real Player, and voila! Geoblock removed.

Or if you have no-one in Ireland able to assist you then you can open the .smil file this way, Just go to http://www.blackdog.ie/tv/ and stick your smil file link in there and you should get the direct stream link back.

thanks ardmhacha, heard about all that craic with the sending of the link before, never quite knew exactly what it was about.  Justintv holding up well I must say at providing the coverage but I'll keep this for a rainy day!

cheers
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Main Street

Quote from: ardmhachaabu on June 12, 2009, 10:00:40 PM
if you have no-one in Ireland able to assist you then you can open the .smil file this way, Just go to http://www.blackdog.ie/tv/ and stick your smil file link in there and you should get the direct stream link back.

RTE changed their player a few months ago and it makes the blackdog tool obsolete.

Smokin Joe

Would it not be an idea for someone in the 32 Counties to post the unlocked link somewhere on the web for every live GAA game that is on RTE?  That way all the expats would be able to watch all of the games, and it would be useful for anyone who didn't have a friend available in Ireland to do what that link states needs done.