Proxy Servers

Started by pintsofguinness, May 28, 2009, 11:55:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sling-Media-SlingBox-Digital-Anywhere/dp/B000W49MPI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1243616593&sr=1-1

Looks interesting Armaghniac.

Essentially looks like a "VNC" kind of effort on your TV.

I'm not sure you could use it in this instance. You'd be giving some punter control of your TV if someone were to set it up in Ireland. Also I'm not sure how scalable it would be for multiple internet connections to it.(From what I read you download an application to your PC which you then use to connect to the slingbox)

ardmhachaabu

First of all pints, these instructions are for Internet Explorer so if you are using a different browser it will be slightly different but the same principle behind it.

Go to 'Tools', then 'Internet Options' then click onto the 'Connections' tab, then click on 'Lan settings' at the bottom of that tab, put a tick on the 'use a proxy server for your lan' box and enter any 1 of the following;

vorcha.compsoc.com
spyware1.dcu.ie
bluecoat.cs.tcd.ie
16.bas1.lmk.limerick.eircom.net
cache02.cache.esat.net

Enter 80 in the 'port number' box, then click ok and click ok again.

These proxies are tested daily and all were working at one point or other today when they were checked.

The full list you can find http://www.aliveproxy.com/proxy-list/proxies.aspx/Ireland-ie there although it doesn't guarantee that any of them will work for you but it is worth a try anyway
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

pintsofguinness

I cant get them to work  :'(

I'm trying them in IE but it keeps acting as if I've no internet connection when I try it. 

Am I doing something wrong  ???
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

FL/MAYO

Quote from: pintsofguinness on May 29, 2009, 07:40:51 PM
I cant get them to work  :'(

I'm trying them in IE but it keeps acting as if I've no internet connection when I try it. 

Am I doing something wrong  ???

Tried here also with no luck.

ardmhachaabu

No you aren't doing anything wrong... all the bloody proxies seem to be down, already!

However, try webcache.virginmedia.com and port 3128.  I say this as I am on VirginMedia and can access RTE stuff, I am not sure if their proxy will work for you but you can try it

The thing is though, some ISPs deliberately forbid the use of proxies being used across their network.  If yours is one that employs that technology then... nothing anyone can try with you will make a difference
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

pintsofguinness

No, same thing with that one  :(

thanks for trying though

ardmhachaabu

No worries, sorry nothing works...

Treasurer

Quote from: armaghniac on May 29, 2009, 11:30:26 AM
Anyone know anything about Slingbox  ?

I know someone who uses this all the time when travelling to watch home tv on is laptop and says it works great.

ardmhachaabu

Quote from: Treasurer on May 30, 2009, 12:08:42 AM
Quote from: armaghniac on May 29, 2009, 11:30:26 AM
Anyone know anything about Slingbox  ?

I know someone who uses this all the time when travelling to watch home tv on is laptop and says it works great.
My brother has one, he has a wireless router in the house.  He said all he did was turn it on and all worked, he isn't the best technically either...

Main Street

You'd think that the GAABoard renegades and multi personality members would know a thing or two about isp numbers.

joemamas

Quote from: pintsofguinness on May 29, 2009, 09:07:26 PM
No, same thing with that one  :(

thanks for trying though

got the game on JUSTIN throught Mozilla. have had to relog in a few times, beats the alternative by a mile

pintsofguinness

yeah i'm watching here http://www.justin.tv/nern - posted it on the game thread

It's not a very clear pic but its better than ntohing

Trevor Hill

Quote from: pintsofguinness on May 28, 2009, 11:55:50 PM
How can I convince rte.ie that I'm in Ireland so I can watch stuff on their site?

Very simple instructions would be appreciated! 

I did ask a computer teacher but she hasnt a clue  :-\

If you have Sky TV you could get a Sky card from the south and use it in your UK Sky box. You`ll get one for about £50.

pintsofguinness

Quote from: Trevor Hill on June 07, 2009, 09:24:07 PM
Quote from: pintsofguinness on May 28, 2009, 11:55:50 PM
How can I convince rte.ie that I'm in Ireland so I can watch stuff on their site?

Very simple instructions would be appreciated! 

I did ask a computer teacher but she hasnt a clue  :-\

If you have Sky TV you could get a Sky card from the south and use it in your UK Sky box. You`ll get one for about £50.

Nah dont have sky, far too poor for that.

ardmhachaabu

pints, just came across this on orchardcounty.com

Quotethis was posted on the antrim website ahead of the hurling last week- i didn't get to try it- but it sounds plausible enough:

The first thing we need to do is find a link to the .smil file for the particular programme. To do this, first click on the link on the RTE website to view the programme in question. If you are outside Ireland, the embedded Real Player will show a message saying the programme is only available inside Ireland. Right-click on this window and select 'open in Real Player'. This will start Real Player as a standalone program and show the same message.In the standalone Real Player, select 'file', then 'clip properties' and 'view clip info' (or CTRL+I). This will display a .smil link. Copy this link.Now you need to download this link and open it in notepad. Trouble is, if you're outside Ireland, this is where the geoblock kicks in. So if I download this link here in NZ and open in notepad I just get some html with 'nz auckland' in it, because it's identified my location from my IP address. One way around this is to use and Irish proxy server, the trouble is a working Irish proxy is ridiculously hard to find, so there's a much easier way: Email the .smil link to a friend in Ireland (32 Counties)and ask them to download to their desktop and open in notepad. Because they're in Ireland, they will get the un-geoblocked version. When they open it in notepad, inside will be a direct .rm link to the stream required. It will look something like this; rtsp://streaming3.rte.ie/geoblock/937781e0c4b2d229ee3c7dd9f8be374f/geoblock/2008/thematch-186581-243.rm

Once your friend emails you back with this link copy it, open in your Real Player, and voila! Geoblock removed.

Or if you have no-one in Ireland able to assist you then you can open the .smil file this way, Just go to http://www.blackdog.ie/tv/ and stick your smil file link in there and you should get the direct stream link back.