The spelling and grammar thread

Started by SidelineKick, May 28, 2009, 06:36:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lar Naparka

I have no major objections to some grammar or spelling mistakes if I think the posters concerned are genuinely giving it their best shot.
Some don't have time to proof read what they write and may include some typos. I think that is acceptable as they are not trying to act the mick and trying to let us all know that they really don't give damn whether the rest of us can understand them or not.
We do have a few of these pr**cks onboard. They don't bother me a lot as I skip their crap as soon as I see who's posting. If they can't be bothered to take the time to write properly, I won't bother to try and make out what they stick up.
I know there are some who may have left school early and who genuinely have difficulty with capital letters and full stops. That is okay also with me. Not everyone on the board knows the difference between a hanging participle and a misplaced identifier. (BTW: I don't either!)
I feel that as this is a discussion board for all to join in and there is no need for formal English all the time. Even the heavy hitters among the cavalry, don't always get it 10 out of 10 all the time and why should they?
Some of them lads have only to look in the mirror to find someone to row with and just get too fired up to think clearly. They are great craic whenever they lose the plot and start mud slinging.
There is room for all types, except those who don't care and think they are so important that the rest of us will take the trouble to follow what they are spouting about.
Sorry; rant is over! ;D
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

milltown row

Has the board not employed SaffronSam2 to sort out peoples grammar?  If you get annoyed about spelling mistakes or grammar then your sad.  If having a cheap shot at other posters "mishaps" floats your boat then your in luck, the board is full of it.  Big fooking deal

Minder

"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Square Ball

The boy swam to the bouy, both boys/bouys sank.

what is the correct use of the word boys/bouys

dont cheat and say both sank
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

Gnevin

Quote from: Square Ball on May 30, 2009, 12:47:04 AM

You would have to use both words .The boy swam to the bouy, both the boy and the bouy sank.
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

supersub

Don't know if its been mentioned already or not in this thread but don't want to go through all the posts - has anyone read the book 'eats shoots and leaves'? awfully funny book regarding spelling, punctuation and grammar!!

This is where the name comes from:

A panda walks into a restaurant, sits down and orders a sandwich. After he finishes eating the sandwich, the panda pulls out a gun and shoots the waiter, and then stands up to go. "Hey!" shouts the manager. "Where are you going? You just shot my waiter and you didn't pay for your sandwich!"

The panda yells back at the manager, "Hey man, I am a PANDA! Look it up!"

The manager opens his poorly punctuated dictionary and sees the following definition for panda: "A tree-dwelling marsupial of Asian origin, characterised by distinct black and white colouring. Eats, shoots and leaves."

JUst retired

Larnaparka.
A hanging participle is found in a cave ie like wot is in Fermanagh,
A missplaced identifier, is a lost witness,ie ask the psni about this one.
Do you Tryonies know nothing! ::)

ardmhachaabu

Quote from: Square Ball on May 30, 2009, 12:47:04 AM

The boy and the buoy both sank
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

Lar Naparka

Quote from: JUst retired on May 30, 2009, 06:33:22 AM
Larnaparka.
A hanging participle is found in a cave ie like wot is in Fermanagh,
A missplaced identifier, is a lost witness,ie ask the psni about this one.
Do you Tryonies know nothing! ::)

I'm a sadder case than that.
(Shhh... I'm from Mayo.)

JUst retired

Larnaparka, so sorry to insult you. I should have known from the tone of your posts you could`nt be from Tyrone ::)

ONeill

Quote from: Lar Naparka on May 30, 2009, 12:08:50 AM

I feel that as this is a discussion board for all to join in and there is no need for formal English all the time.

I have issues with this sentence.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: ONeill on May 30, 2009, 10:50:04 PM
Quote from: Lar Naparka on May 30, 2009, 12:08:50 AM

I feel that as this is a discussion board for all to join in and there is no need for formal English all the time.

I have issues with this sentence.

You shouldn't have. It was just a case of practising what I preach.
See? I'm still at it. ;D

Farrandeelin

I still have great difficulty in understanding the colon and semi-colon. Sometimes I put in the comma instead of the semi-colon in Microsoft-Word and it comes out with the little green line underneath it to highlight my grammatical mistake.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: JUst retired on May 30, 2009, 08:08:14 PM
Larnaparka, so sorry to insult you. I should have known from the tone of your posts you could`nt be from Tyrone ::)

I think it should be couldn't instead of could`nt. Shouldn't it? ;)
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Farrandeelin on May 30, 2009, 11:58:55 PM
I still have great difficulty in understanding the colon and semi-colon. Sometimes I put in the comma instead of the semi-colon in Microsoft-Word and it comes out with the little green line underneath it to highlight my grammatical mistake.
Maybe you should ask rosnarun; he is to grammar what Jack the Ripper was to surgery.  ;D ;D

Normally, I'd ask either Roger or Evil Genius if I really wanted  advice on that matter.
However, EG seems to be busy at the moment and Roger thinks I'm condescending so he would probably suggest I do what I'd suggest to John O'Mahony.