West coast USA

Started by Tyronelass, May 28, 2009, 12:53:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tyronelass

Heading to Vegas, LA, Hawaii- Maui & San Fran in few weeks but been googling etc to get a list of things to see/ places to go/ restaurants etc but there so many. 

So any recommendations? Especially for helicopter companys for tour of hoover dam etc?

And almost more importantly- anyone know of anywhere on maui to see ulster final?

armaghniac

Go to the TV museum in LA and sit at the bar in Cheers.

Quoteanyone know of anywhere on maui to see ulster final?

Why is a Derry- Donegal game so interesting to a Tyrone person?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Tyronelass on May 28, 2009, 12:53:20 PM
Heading to Vegas, LA, Hawaii- Maui & San Fran in few weeks but been googling etc to get a list of things to see/ places to go/ restaurants etc but there so many. 

So any recommendations? Especially for helicopter companys for tour of hoover dam etc?

And almost more importantly- anyone know of anywhere on maui to see ulster final?
Just spend the entire time in Irish bars.

cornerback

Was impressed with viator for the grand canyon tour

http://www.viator.com/Las-Vegas/d684/grand-canyon-tours

You should probably do the Alcatraz tour if you're in San Fran

Onion Bag

Quote from: Tyronelass on May 28, 2009, 12:53:20 PM

Ulster Final? sure you wouldnt be interested in watching Armagh and Donegal in the Ulster Final Tyronelass, would you?

Hats, Flags and Head Bands!

Onion Bag

What dates are you going?
Hats, Flags and Head Bands!

Newbridge Exile

papillon helicopters is who we used for the grand canyon tour, couldn't fault them in any way.
If your into your wine i would recommend a wine tasting tour of the Napa Valley, the one we took stopped off in Frances Ford Copollas estate which is worth seeing on its own ( my better half was more excited though about the inside of the house was where some of Falcon Crest was filmed apparently)
I think you will struggle in Maui to watch the match, it sis a beautiful place with the friendliest people you will ever come across but theres not much in terms of nightlife even in Lahaina ,We were told that locally 10pm is known as "Maui midnight" as thats when a lot of the bars closed

Rois

Hit The Plough and the Stars in SF and ask for Laura - haven't a clue what the place is like but a friend of mine works there. 

magickingdom

i hate you! been to all those places a while back... fab. in california - napa valley (calistogia is a lovely town and vist old faithfull), yousmite (an absolute must imo) and san fran is a great city (plough and stars is a good pub, irelands 32 is around the corner and the abbey)

BobKelso

http://www.gocartours.com/

The best way to see san francisco. Take a look at some of the reviews it gets on trip advisor. Id u want to pm me I'll see if i can sort you out with a decent deal.

I do all the tours in san fran, bus's - boats etc etc If you need any help or advice on what to do pm me.

But honestly, book Alcatraz NOW!!

Tyronelass

Quote from: Onion Bag on May 28, 2009, 01:31:11 PM

Ulster Final? sure you wouldnt be interested in watching Armagh and Donegal in the Ulster Final Tyronelass, would you?

Damn & I was looking forward to watching Armagh in the ulster final this year again, awell I guess I dont need to know of anywhere that'll be showing the match anymore  :P

Quote from: Onion Bag on May 28, 2009, 01:35:42 PM
What dates are you going?

Away from 7th July till the end of July, u heading that direction?

Quote from: BobKelso on May 28, 2009, 08:40:40 PM
http://www.gocartours.com/

The best way to see san francisco. Take a look at some of the reviews it gets on trip advisor. Id u want to pm me I'll see if i can sort you out with a decent deal.

I do all the tours in san fran, bus's - boats etc etc If you need any help or advice on what to do pm me.

But honestly, book Alcatraz NOW!!

Spotted the gocars on some website, in typical woman style totally fell for the idea & was top of the list for San Fran along with Alcatraz. I'll be pm'ing u for the help & advice!

Thanks for all the suggestions, always better to have first hand or second hand recommendations  ;D I'll carry ur regards to your friend Rois!  ;D

DennistheMenace

Yosemite is really nice as is Lake Tahoe, both within driving distance of SF.

The wharf and pier 39 (where you get the boat to Alcatraz) is very touristy and obviously pricey but worth a walk around.

Bike ride over the GG bridge is nice, just don't jump over like many do

Lomard Street, known for it's crookedness is worth a visit for about 2 minutes.

Also get the ferry over to sausilto, some great views of SF from there.

BobKelso

Number one is Alcatraz. It's my favourite thing in the city. It normally books up 2 weeks in advance so book your tickets early online before you come. Try to get a night tour as there are some great views of the city at night from the island. Just bright a jumper when you are out as it gets cold out there.

Go to chinatown, its the biggest one outside of china!

Catch a baseball game in AT&T Park, the SF giants play there

Union Square for shopping, westfield shopping center, Macy's etc

There are lots of wine tasting tours if you are into that kinda thing

Take a trip to yosemite, bit of a trip but worth it
http://reliableanswers.com/images/wallpaper/yosemite_falls.jpg

And finally, the guys that I work for http://www.gocartours.com/sanfrancisco.html , its a great tour and everyone loves it. It will show you everything there is in sf it'self

Tour Highlights

Fisherman's Wharf
The Cannery
Ghirardelli Square
Fort Mason
The Marina District
Crissy Fields
Fort Point
The Presidio
Golden Gate Bridge
Baker Beach
Sea Cliff
Legion of Honor
Lands End
U.S.S. San Francisco War Memorial
Cliff House
Sutro Baths
Ocean Beach
Golden Gate Park
Lincoln Park Golf Course
Conservatory of Flowers
Japanese Tea Gardens
Haight Ashbury District
Inspiration Point
Palace of Fine Arts
Chestnut & Union Shopping Districts
Lombard Street

Anything else let me know

venter

Hi
Any advice on what alcatraz tour to book?

Thanks
Venter

Puckoon

Try and get the evening one that takes you up to the infirmary after dark, interesting stuff.