Sligo V Galway CSFC Markievicz Park 28 June 2009 2.00pm Throw in

Started by SLIGONIAN, May 26, 2009, 10:00:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

magpie seanie

McNamara played well in the Connacht final but a lot of his defensive work was done for him by hard working mf and half forwards tracking back. Centre back and midfield are troublesome areas for us but luckily Galway have their own problems in the middle diamond.

Would agree with a lot of what has been said. Morale and prep for Sligo is a lot better and even though it was only Div 4 winning is a good habit. I'm expecting a close game and hoping if a few things go our way we might be able to pinch the result. Galway are a good team, there's no doubt. It's a big ask for us to take them but you never know.

Agree that if Breheny is flying he has to be included. Don't agree that S. Davey should start or that he does a serious amount of work. My forward 6 would be (assuming EO'H is right and Breheny is 100%) Gaughan, Costello, O'Hara, Breheny, Sweeney, Marren. I assume they'll have a plan for Meehan and Joyce. Harrison and Donovan have marked him before and while they'd get to the ball at the same time Meehans height and strength tends to win out for him. Good and all as our FB line is they'll be screwed if consistent good ball is coming in. Which leaves the middle. It could go wither way but my gut tell me we'll struggle to get an even break. That will be fine if we're putting pressure on their deliveries. If not we could be goosed big style.

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: magpie seanie on June 17, 2009, 12:12:30 PM
McNamara played well in the Connacht final but a lot of his defensive work was done for him by hard working mf and half forwards tracking back. Centre back and midfield are troublesome areas for us but luckily Galway have their own problems in the middle diamond.

Would agree with a lot of what has been said. Morale and prep for Sligo is a lot better and even though it was only Div 4 winning is a good habit. I'm expecting a close game and hoping if a few things go our way we might be able to pinch the result. Galway are a good team, there's no doubt. It's a big ask for us to take them but you never know.

Agree that if Breheny is flying he has to be included. Don't agree that S. Davey should start or that he does a serious amount of work. My forward 6 would be (assuming EO'H is right and Breheny is 100%) Gaughan, Costello, O'Hara, Breheny, Sweeney, Marren. I assume they'll have a plan for Meehan and Joyce. Harrison and Donovan have marked him before and while they'd get to the ball at the same time Meehans height and strength tends to win out for him. Good and all as our FB line is they'll be screwed if consistent good ball is coming in. Which leaves the middle. It could go wither way but my gut tell me we'll struggle to get an even break. That will be fine if we're putting pressure on their deliveries. If not we could be goosed big style.

Midfield, totally new partnership, never played a big Championship game before Mullen and Taylor,its merely speculation on whats going to happen there as said before. I think TT has serious potential, I played with him Sligo county vec team and he impressed me alot back then, has serious footballing ability, he was unlucky in 07 to get injured just as he was about to step up to a new level of performance like the wicklow game suggested, so he can do it and I remain convinced its only a matter of time before he does. I personnally think its all mental with him though, as he shys away from the battle sometimes and games pass him by probably suggest he lacks focus in games especially kickouts winning, if he worked on that and is the right frame of mind he'll give us a platform. Mullen I really know feck all to be honest one game, he worked his ass off and seems to be a decent foil for TT and I couldnt knock the amount effort he put in.

We'll have to agree to disagree on Davey, although if Gaughans selected I wont lose any sleep. Definitly going to take over from Sean there anyway and its just a matter of time. Thought Davey looked good against Antrim and his experience gets my nod.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

stevo-08

I'll be honest I havent seen many Sligo games this year so cant comment too much on the form. However, as has been said, there seems to be very good morale in the camp compared to last year so that can only bode well. Also Costello is a massive addition to the team and sorts out the long problem at CHF. It also takes some of the scoring responsibility away from brehony who, if fully fit, could thrive in the full forward line.

Midfiield & centre half back are big worries for me though. As has been said, the MF partnership isnt tried and tested so will be a huge task for them. Also dont fancy any of our options at CHB, but McNamara might be the better choice. As for michael meehan - I was talking to a Galway friend who asked if we had anyone to mark him. My response was that we have a very good full back line, argueably our strongest line on the pitch, but if Galway get 50-50 at midfield, then the supply in to meehan will be too much for our lads. My friend simply responded - if Galway get good supply of ball into meehan, then no team in the country could cope with it. Enough said.

Only other thing to be said is that I hear one of the Galway midfielders is a huge doubt for the game. Cant remember his name but a young player who is supposed to be playing really well....

SLIGONIAN

Just for the record I wont be at this Game :(, i think it'll be my first Championship match on home soil since 89 to miss.

I cant take any leave in the first 6 months with my new company only under exceptional circumstances. I had all my hols worked up in my previous one and obviously had plans to go home but got let go there in May.

I have to get exit visa from new company to go home so ive made up a exceptional circumstance ;) to get home for Connacht final on July 19th. Its a no win situation but if I go home for the Galway game and we win Id be incosolable missing a Connacht final. Im taking a huge chance I know as alot of people think we have no chance but I do. If we dont make it I will rearrange date to suit our first qualifier and that'll be it for the summer.

To actually see the game on internet isnt easy either. justin.tv, its on at 4 our time i finish work at 5 in ras laffan it takes 1.25 hrs to get home so i have have a plan there aswell to be home at 4, hope it works. Yer lucky to home to be able to see it, pisses me off being out here with GAA on back home.

Im saying this cause I'll have feck all opinion on the game and will be relying on others. And people I know who read on here will want to know if Im back or not for it. Never take for granted being able to go to games.

stevo-08

Wont be able to go to the game either. Have a wedding in Galway (on a sunday!!!). No mass, just straight to the hotel for the formalities and the reception after. The "wedding" starts at 3.30, so might be able to catch the game on tv if we go down early. Absolutely raging that I'll miss it..

magpie seanie

Quote from: stevo-08 on June 17, 2009, 02:56:42 PM
Wont be able to go to the game either. Have a wedding in Galway (on a sunday!!!). No mass, just straight to the hotel for the formalities and the reception after. The "wedding" starts at 3.30, so might be able to catch the game on tv if we go down early. Absolutely raging that I'll miss it..

That's just shocking altogether. If Sligo do win though you shouldn't have to buy a drink all night!

stevo-08

Quote from: magpie seanie on June 17, 2009, 05:38:23 PM
Quote from: stevo-08 on June 17, 2009, 02:56:42 PM

That's just shocking altogether. If Sligo do win though you shouldn't have to buy a drink all night!

Yea, that'll be the least I deserve if i miss Sligo beating Galway. I'll be surrounded by galway & mayo ones at the wedding and Im sure they'll only be too delighted to congratulate us, should Sligo do the business  :P

Northknife

Does anyone know when the tickets go on sale for the Sligo - Galway match? If so please let me know asap, thanks.

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: Northknife on June 21, 2009, 10:56:19 PM
Does anyone know when the tickets go on sale for the Sligo - Galway match? If so please let me know asap, thanks.

On tuesday in Sligo, check Sligogaa.ie and local papers, judging by the interest on here there be loads of tickets available on the day, there will be feck all from galway at the game. Id hope at least 10,000 from Sligo at it. mayo will have a few at it for the minor match aswell as to see the team theyll play in final.

Jees the monaghan v armagh qualifier has 4 pages already after 1 day whereas this match has 3, a joke.

baoithe

Haven't had a chance to look through this thread in over a week due to work demands. Also, there isn't much that can be said without repeating what the rest of ye have posted before me.

In terms of predictions I cannot see anything other than a Galway win. I'm not as worried as I was going to Castlebar in 2008 as I know this panel has been prepared properly. Further, I'm fairly confident they will not lack an intensity and focus that was so missing this time last year and which resulted in them rolling over to Mayo. Again, this has all been said before.

I expect lots of endeavour from Sligo and some nice passages of play that will flatter to deceive but ultimately I think Galway will shade it purely because they have that bit more quality than us and of course have been playing a higher standard of football to Sligo during the league.

Really hope I'm wrong though.

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: baoithe on June 22, 2009, 08:39:31 AM
Haven't had a chance to look through this thread in over a week due to work demands. Also, there isn't much that can be said without repeating what the rest of ye have posted before me.

In terms of predictions I cannot see anything other than a Galway win. I'm not as worried as I was going to Castlebar in 2008 as I know this panel has been prepared properly. Further, I'm fairly confident they will not lack an intensity and focus that was so missing this time last year and which resulted in them rolling over to Mayo. Again, this has all been said before.

I expect lots of endeavour from Sligo and some nice passages of play that will flatter to deceive but ultimately I think Galway will shade it purely because they have that bit more quality than us and of course have been playing a higher standard of football to Sligo during the league.

Really hope I'm wrong though.

So do I. We will all be the wiser after Sunday. Hope the players Believe though or else were screwed.

Im going to focus on all the positives: reasons I think Sligo will win.

Solid FB line and keeper, saved us in 07 under severe pressure, consistent and have the ability to cover one another

Meehans in consistency, yes he his, hope he has an off day.

Strong forward line in O Hara, Costello, Davey/Gaughan, Marren, Sweeney, Brehony/coen/kelly.. Options aplenty, Marrens emergance a big bonus, the class of costello who will hopefully be flying, sweeney a little more consistent and showing signs of establishing himself. Free takers both left and right,(no repeat of 07 there) ;)

Kevin Walshs inside view has to be a help,

Mediocre Galway midfield, u21s havnt come through from AI wins, armstrong, bane, breathnach all not really kicked on from early promise,

Nicky Joyce omission,

Padraic Joyce not getting any younger.

Beating them in 07 psychological, we know we can beat them, we beat them u21s in 08.

Being at home is an advantage, despite our record, its actually good outside CSFC. Will for sure be more Sligonians at it to back our lads.

Sligo players renewed focus and fitness and style of play, winning is a habit and we finished the NFL strong, Galway the opposite.

Lastly Its all on the day so let battle commence.

mannix

sligonian, you are an optimist if nothing else, hard to see a win for you but you never know.

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: mannix on June 22, 2009, 09:53:21 AM
sligonian, you are an optimist if nothing else, hard to see a win for you but you never know.

Im a realist too, everything I stated is possible to happen in my mind. If Meehan is in form then try to double up as much as possible by using extra defender or close out the space in front but I would go man for man for the first 10 mins, you have to be positive but be able to see things and adapt before its to late. I know we will have to hang in there in stages and just ride out waves of Galway attacks. Meehan is usually FF so that means McGuire will be marking him, Id have upmost confidence in McGuire.

Anyword on who the ref is?

mannix

no idea who is ref, good luck on sunday. by the way where are you living now?

SLIGONIAN

Thanks we will need all the luck we can get, Im at work here in Doha, Qatar 8), no work at home for me at all so going to ride out the recession for as long as I can and save a bit, I actually thought Id be less obsessed with GAA being away from home, how wrong I was.