Sligo V Galway CSFC Markievicz Park 28 June 2009 2.00pm Throw in

Started by SLIGONIAN, May 26, 2009, 10:00:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SLIGONIAN

On HS alot of the lads are coming in against me suggesting Brehony if fit(which has been confirmed to me by clubmates) he has to start even though he missed the NFL.

What do the sligo lads on here reckon?
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

ludermor

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on June 16, 2009, 10:50:33 AM
On HS alot of the lads are coming in against me suggesting Brehony if fit(which has been confirmed to me by clubmates) he has to start even though he missed the NFL.

That must be unusual for you

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: ludermor on June 16, 2009, 11:04:17 AM

That must be unusual for you

No, but Im usually right ;).

SLIGONIAN

Just to put this to bed, this is a huge game for Sligo and for everyone involved. Had a look back at the new sligo manager thread after seeing the donegal antrim one and the slating Saffron Sam2 is getting for comments earlier in 09 when they hired Bradley, and i reflected on alot of stuff i said.

Have to say looking back i got Kevin Walshs appointment wrong, he has done better than I thought and looks to have made the step up, he has made mistakes(in antrim div4 final game tactics and slowness to make changes) but we all do and he will have learned, and Im genuinely glad I was wrong and will hopefuly be confirmed against Galway with a victory, my worries over the selectors being to close to the older players, again wrong.

Id love to be wrong on McNamara aswell, hope he has a stormer against Galway because we will need him. I really appreciate the effort and time they put in, and give running up the sand dunes for Love of the county and they do it for themselves, there families and us supporters, and without all this collective effort and scrafice I would have nothing to cheer on. So thanks to all the squad for all the commitment they gave this yr. No words really can say how grateful I am. Id like to think most of my criticism is constructive and helpful although Im no angel I try to stick to the former and my intentions are that I want every player to reach his peak although I need to realise its an impossible expectation across the board.

It was a gamble no doubt KW appointment and so far its paid off so I apologise to Kevin and the Selectors, and wish them and players all the luck in the world in CSFC. I WAS waiting on the result of this game to pass judgement but I cant see anything else other than a extremely well prepared Sligo Team putting in a huge performance and maybe sneaking a win. I just think in the run up to the game whatever Sligo people, players read on here that this needs to said whatever the outcome of June 28th and really I dont say it enough.

Best of luck to all the players and management.

SLIGEACH ABU ;)

stephenite

Fair play Sligonian - nothing wrong with admitting you're wrong, and probably safer to get your spake in first unlike the unfortunate Saffron Sam2

ludermor

Its all good saying it now but you were equally confident last year.
If they suffer the same result and performance to last year will you come on and have the same reaction as last year ?

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: ludermor on June 16, 2009, 01:48:48 PM
Its all good saying it now but you were equally confident last year.
If they suffer the same result and performance to last year will you come on and have the same reaction as last year ?

I know this yr the training, atitude, fitness and focus is there, all 4 were not there last yr, unfortunetly last yr I didnt know what was going on inside the camp, this yr I do. Ohara called last yrs performance a embarrasment and blamed the players as stated on new sligo manager thread which i just reflected upon so i think my reaction was justified. I probably should of said nothing before the game last yr I will say, it was a naive false confidence and I honestly dont believe that to be the case this yr.

Nothing makes me more angry than seeing players not giving 100% that was the case last yr, ok Ive forgiven them as I know this yr its different, win,lose or draw, I know KW has the team prepared immaculaty and I know Im guarnteed 100% and I can ask no more.

Im saying this before the game, it would cowardly not to put my neck on the line before, if we win its easy to say the above but either way at this point in time they all deserve credit and acknowledgement. Im not saying I KNOW we are guarnteed to win although I do think we will win but its just an opinion and that doesnt mean jack shit in reality. I always believe in the best outcomes and I genuinely have belief in this group of players. Sometimes that belief is justified sometimes way off but I always back us before matches. I know the best of each player and I know what everyone is capable of and as a collective unit and I just hope they reach that level of performance on the day.

My reaction to games is based on the game solely and I call it as I see it and say what I think needs to be said and is mainly always from a footballing perspective which i think is fair although I prob crossed the line in the past but think im slowly getting better.

Farrandeelin

IF Mayo and Sligo win, where will the final be played? Likewise IF Roscommon and Sligo win. All that's emanating from home is the long f**king trip to Salthill with traffic-jams on July 19th. You'd swear they never heard of upsets!
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

muppet

Quote from: Farrandeelin on June 16, 2009, 07:10:35 PM
IF Mayo and Sligo win, where will the final be played? Likewise IF Roscommon and Sligo win. All that's emanating from home is the long f**king trip to Salthill with traffic-jams on July 19th. You'd swear they never heard of upsets!

Sure aren't we upset every year, the only issue is which month.
MWWSI 2017

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: Farrandeelin on June 16, 2009, 07:10:35 PM

Mayo V Sligo final, i think had the choice in 97 so we chose the Hyde, I think Mayo have choice this time. It cant be played in McHale because no team can have home advantage because of Markievicz can hold one full stop. So Id say mayo will have to chose between Hyde or Salthill, we would have an advantage in Hyde because well in Championship I cant remember losing there, so mayo will probably chose Salthill to take the pyschological advantage away but maybe mayos superiority complex will make them chose hyde anyway because they will feel they can beat us anywhere.

There might be one upset with I think Sligo most likely, but I cant honestly see 2 upsets lads so I wouldnt consider a Ros Sligo final although it would be fantastic to see happening. Castlebar would be most likely venue.

Mano

If Brehony is fit and has been playing challenges lately he has to start. He has been our most consistent scorer from play for a number of years and is also a reliable free taker.

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: Mano on June 17, 2009, 10:56:55 AM

If Brehony is fit and has been playing challenges lately he has to start. He has been our most consistent scorer from play for a number of years and is also a reliable free taker.

He played against Donegal challenge full match and did well, as i said on HS i saidi was talking to a few of club defenders who were blown away by his fitness, he was marked by P Wilson and J Kelly no mugs and got 0-12 6 from play in that game. One of the lads said hes stronger and bulked up that they have ever seen him and all my contacts were surprised how good he was considering he was out for so long. When I heard this I was delighted and for me he has to start, Imagine having a new and improved fresh Brehony sitting on the bench, it would be handicapping us surely. Has to start.

Will walsh go with EWING centre half back?, mcnamara and j davey seem almost certain to start in the wings, but I wouldnt rule out mcgovern if hes found form again.

I think O Hara will be fit and will start in a HF line of Sean Davey, Costello CHF. Davey does a serious amount of work and we need him although Guaghan could easily do a job there aswell. I mean he gives something different but would start Davey. Im sure KW has each Galway players weaknesses identified and will pick players to exploit them to a certain extent along with form of players taking more importance.

FF line will hopefully be Brehony, Sweeney and Marren. Midfield, FB line and GK pick themselves.

Mano

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on June 17, 2009, 11:17:48 AM
He played against Donegal challenge full match and did well, as i said on HS i saidi was talking to a few of club defenders who were blown away by his fitness, he was marked by P Wilson and J Kelly no mugs and got 0-12 6 from play in that game. One of the lads said hes stronger and bulked up that they have ever seen him and all my contacts were surprised how good he was considering he was out for so long. When I heard this I was delighted and for me he has to start, Imagine having a new and improved fresh Brehony sitting on the bench, it would be handicapping us surely. Has to start.

Will walsh go with EWING centre half back?, mcnamara and j davey seem almost certain to start in the wings, but I wouldnt rule out mcgovern if hes found form again.

I think O Hara will be fit and will start in a HF line of Sean Davey, Costello CHF. Davey does a serious amount of work and we need him although Guaghan could easily do a job there aswell. I mean he gives something different but would start Davey. Im sure KW has each Galway players weaknesses identified and will pick players to exploit them to a certain extent along with form of players taking more importance.

FF line will hopefully be Brehony, Sweeney and Marren. Midfield, FB line and GK pick themselves.

I wouldn't start Ewing. P Joyce would be too stong and cute for him. Think he should start with Phillips with Ewing on bench to cover full back and half back line. If he does start with him i can see O'Hara or Davey dropping deep to help him out. Think rest of the team picks itself assuming no more injuries.

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: Mano on June 17, 2009, 11:27:29 AM
Quote from: SLIGONIAN on June 17, 2009, 11:17:48 AM

I wouldn't start Ewing. P Joyce would be too stong and cute for him. Think he should start with Phillips with Ewing on bench to cover full back and half back line. If he does start with him i can see O'Hara or Davey dropping deep to help him out. Think rest of the team picks itself assuming no more injuries.

Either way Im worried on that one, could mcnamara be put back there? thats our 3 options, and its something no manager has really fixed. Phillips had a poor NFL going by what I was told and some on here seen for themselves. Personnaly speaken I would have J Martyn in there the whole NFL and im sure he would of excelled there. I agree Joyce is cute and strong but mcnamara had a stormer in 07 on him, which credit were its due but only thing so many poor showings before and since proved it was a once off, could he do it again? Ewing isnt ready and doesnt have the experience for that job, but really we are left in limbo with it totally down to chance and once offs in terms of Sligo winning that position. A little disappointed more wasnt done to find the right man for that position last few yrs.

Looking forward to the team selection there maybe a shock or 2, its 10 weeks since the NFL so alot of that form is irrelevant although I wouldnt stray too much from the players that got us up.