Mayo v Roscommon - Connacht SFC Semi-Final, June 20, Venue TBC

Started by RedandGreenSniper, May 13, 2009, 09:46:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GBXII

Quote from: Foreverhopeful on May 20, 2009, 02:34:47 AM
From what i have seen of seamus o shea he is up for it. Couldnt separate him/parsons last yr for the U-21's. Nobody saying parsons not up for midfield. Just think he better option than trevor at no.11 and could do great things for us. If you were to assess Parsons from last yr you would be seeing a lot more ticks in the attacking stats then the defensive.

My first post on here but have been reading for a while now. A lot of people mentioning Parsons at centre forward and suggesting s o'shea be tried at midfield. I dont believe o'shea is good enough to play there on his own (maybe as a third mid fielder) and Parsons is so much better than him anyway. Parsons would be a interesting option at centre forward but there is nobody to replace him at centre field if he does move. I think Pat Harte should be 11 for Connacht semi-final (Tervor at 10), assuming McDonald doesnt recover miraculously and get picked!!

Barney

Sunday will tell us what we face on 20th June.

M&M would love a shot at Mayo but the Roscommon forwards look good enough to bring them over the line. They will be no push over in a semi final.

I know lads that we all loving throwing our teams together but it is madness all this suggestion of players like Seamus O'Se etc coming in and making a mark at this stage. The league was the time to try these things out. Realistically it is quite straight-forward what the team will be for the first real tie of the Summer (whether we like it or not):

Clarke

O'Malley
Cafferkey
McLoughlin/Higgins

Gardiner
Cunnife/Howley
Moran

Parsons
McGarrity

Harte
Trevor
Dillon

Conor/Barry Moran/Billie Joe - 2 out of 3 for the corners
Aidan O'Se

IolarCoisCuain

I'd say you're pretty much on the money there Barney.

How was the wedding?

Farrandeelin

Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

outthecountry

god it was poor stuff - if mayo don't put up a big win against ross after that then they may as well forget about any ambitions they might have this year. Played by and looked like div 3 teams.

Cosmo Kramer

Quote from: Barney on May 29, 2009, 09:37:53 AM

Realistically it is quite straight-forward what the team will be for the first real tie of the Summer (whether we like it or not):

Clarke

O'Malley
Cafferkey
McLoughlin/Higgins

Gardiner
Cunnife/Howley
Moran

Parsons
McGarrity

Harte
Trevor
Dillon

Conor/Barry Moran/Billie Joe - 2 out of 3 for the corners
Aidan O'Se

I think, and hope, that the Andy Moran in the half back line experiment is finished. He played in the forwards against NY and I'd be surprised if he was put back in the half back line given the number of natural half backs we have now. He's a definite option for corner forward though.
A few Mayo GAA videos if anyone is interested - www.youtube.com/CosmoKramer100

Barney

We will have a good day's work done if we beat the Rossies.

They may not be world beaters but they are fit, big and well organised with young lads that know how to win.

What I like in particular about them is that they have big men in the half forward line. If we don't get a grip around here our full-back line will suffer. I still think our corner backs are there to be exposed. Kilbride has a good record against Cafferkey as well.

Anyway the like myself the honeymoon is over for JOM. Mine went a good bit better, and this is a must win game for him. I think he has done some good work this season, and hopefully it can come together on the day.

Barney

A few lads in the local last night were saying Castlebar may not be ready. That would be a bit of a disaster.

Galway won't let Mayo play in Salthill, so if it wasn't the Hyde, I guess we could be looking at Sligo, like for League semi a few years ago.

Foreverhopeful

some joke if its not ready..... Ya roscommon are a bit of an unknown really, their team has changed considerably in the last few years. Kilbride is a dangerous forward.... cafferkey will have a tough job there. He took martin wynne, who is a quality club full-back, to the cleaners last year.

moysider

Quote from: Foreverhopeful on June 01, 2009, 12:21:34 PM
some joke if its not ready..... Ya roscommon are a bit of an unknown really, their team has changed considerably in the last few years. Kilbride is a dangerous forward.... cafferkey will have a tough job there. He took martin wynne, who is a quality club full-back, to the cleaners last year.

Wynne would nt have near Cafferkeys pace though or quality overall. I believe Ger has played on Kilbride in the past at U21 and while he may have had his problems he s a quick learner and will be prepared.

neilthemac

moysider

Quote from: neilthemac on June 01, 2009, 01:24:25 PM
it'll be in the Hyde if castlebar ain't ready

Why? Has there been a ruling by the Connacht Council on this ie. Mayo lose home venue if Castlebar is nt ready. In the event Tuam or Sligo most likely venues.

Foreverhopeful

not doubting caf in the slighest. Either way he'd have had a test because maxwell for leitrim is pretty good. But he is doing very well at the moment so shouldn't faze him in the slightest.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Barney on May 31, 2009, 07:25:29 PM
We will have a good day's work done if we beat the Rossies.

They may not be world beaters but they are fit, big and well organised with young lads that know how to win.

What I like in particular about them is that they have big men in the half forward line. If we don't get a grip around here our full-back line will suffer. I still think our corner backs are there to be exposed. Kilbride has a good record against Cafferkey as well.

Anyway the like myself the honeymoon is over for JOM. Mine went a good bit better, and this is a must win game for him. I think he has done some good work this season, and hopefully it can come together on the day.
Amen to that Barney!  I really hope his honeymoon matches yours although I think he's been in the bloody sack far too long as it is. Anyway, I'll be praying like a hoor that he finishes the daywith a smile on his face.
Trouble is I think one of us is clueless and I have an awful feeling that it isn't me.  ;D
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

blast05