Tesco British products being sold in Ireland

Started by Tankie, May 11, 2009, 11:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tankie

What do people feel about this, the plan seems to be a total roll out through out the Republic. I think this is very bad news for Ireland and I for one will not be buying these British products in Irish shops as I believe it is important to support Irish companies and farmers!

Anyone else feel the same?
Grand Slam Saturday!

thebigfella

Are Tesco's replacing all Irish products with British products?

Donagh

Quote from: Tankie on May 11, 2009, 11:04:36 PM
What do people feel about this, the plan seems to be a total roll out through out the Republic. I think this is very bad news for Ireland and I for one will not be buying these British products in Irish shops as I believe it is important to support Irish companies and farmers!

Anyone else feel the same?

Support the farmers?  :D :D :D

Sorry, I'll maybe come back and reply properly when I stop laughing.

Tankie

Not replacing but the main shelf space will go to cheaper British products, there will also be a larger volume of British products compared the Irish products.
Grand Slam Saturday!

Gnevin

Have to say Tesco are really attempting to put the pressure on Irish manufacturers and Producers all while maintaining 9.5% profits . Its a bit much for me. Back to Dunnes I guess
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

ziggysego

Well if the south would stop pricing themselves out of the market...
Testing Accessibility

Tankie

Quote from: ziggysego on May 11, 2009, 11:23:22 PM

well what do you expect when the minimum wage is €8.65 or something crazy, if we start buying in from Britain just for cheaper bread and peas what is the point in continuing the Republic?
Grand Slam Saturday!

ONeill

It's about time we all resorted to living off the fatta the land.

Today I ate a few mushrooms from the garden.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Gnevin

Yes because the 9.5% they made in Ireland would imply the cost base is so high here they are struggling to make over 3% more than they do in the UK market. If only or cost was lower they could make 15% here .
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

thebigfella

To be honest could give a fcuk, all the stuff is imported from cheaper countries and rebranded as Irish or British products anyway depending on the market.

muppet

Quote from: ONeill on May 11, 2009, 11:26:19 PM
It's about time we all resorted to living off the fatta the land.

Today I ate a few mushrooms from the garden.

Ahhhhhhhh.
MWWSI 2017

ziggysego

I'm not saying it's right, but the south need to stop rising prices.
Testing Accessibility

ONeill

Southerners think too much about money, comfort and profit. That's why foreigners hate us now on holidays. You'd get Dubs and Leitrim men complaining about the wine in a restaurant or the quality of the water in Greece. Up North we're still too reserved to complain and would ate shite so as not to offend the locals.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

muppet

Quote from: ziggysego on May 11, 2009, 11:29:06 PM
I'm not saying it's right, but the south need to stop rising prices.

That isn't going to be a problem we have already entered the deflation spiral. Your grandchildren will study it.
MWWSI 2017

Tankie

Quote from: hardstation on May 11, 2009, 11:30:54 PM
Quote from: Tankie on May 11, 2009, 11:25:49 PM

well what do you expect when the minimum wage is €8.65 or something crazy, if we start buying in from Britain just for cheaper bread and peas what is the point in continuing the Republic?
Why start it?

Start what? buying British? Well I started by saying I wont be buying British/ German/ France etc products just because they are cheaper, but this move by Tesco puts Irelands food industry in serious danger... but already a poster has said they dont care where the food comes from, so do this lad think we should as Lizzy to take us back  ::)
Grand Slam Saturday!