Sports books/autobiographies

Started by corn02, May 06, 2009, 03:24:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flog the lot

Brian Coceran - very good
fowler - very good
stevie g - boring
lance armstrong - excellent
Ronaldo: The Journey of a Genius by James Mosley - good read although not written by ronaldo himself

Minder

Quote from: flog the lot on May 07, 2009, 08:54:11 AM
fowler - very good
stevie g - boring
Ronaldo: The Journey of a Genius by James Mosley - good read although not written by ronaldo himself

The real Ronaldo or the one that plays for Man Utd?
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

thebigfella

Quote from: Minder on May 07, 2009, 08:59:00 AM
fowler - very good
stevie g - boring

Should that not be the "fat" one who bottled it in a world cup final or the current world player of the year  ;)

Minder

Quote from: thebigfella on May 07, 2009, 09:08:13 AM
fowler - very good
stevie g - boring

Should that not be the "fat" one who bottled it in a world cup final or the current world player of the year  ;)

Best striker i have ever seen, on a par with Van Basten.

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: thebigfella on May 07, 2009, 09:08:13 AM
fowler - very good
stevie g - boring

Or maybe he means the Ronaldo who scored two goals in the 2002 World Cup Final and scored 8 in that whole tournament? and not the Ronaldo who bottled it by missing a peno in last years Champions League Final.............
You'll Never Walk Alone.

The GAA

The best biogs are obviously the honest ones - a category which most do not fall into. for that reson cascarino's is v good - even though he's a virtual nobody. most soccer ones are shite as they've nothing to say. some of the great ones include "night train", "It's in the blood" and hauser's biog of ali.

new devil

Or the Ronaldo who scored in last years champions league final..sent his team into this years final and is currently the best player in the world  ???

The GAA

"Biographys" inthe middle or at the start of careers are a complete joke and should be banned

The Real Laoislad

Best Sports book I ever read was "A Season on the brink" by Guillem Balague
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Our Nail Loney

CRonaldo has a long way to go before he can be put in the same bracket as the real Ronaldo...

The real Ronaldo is the best striker I have ever seen (too young to see Van Basten and before). At his prime, real Ronaldo was exhilirating and could take on any defence.

As for him 'bottling' it, you couldn't ask for a more big game player, he is the top goalscorer in the history of World Cups? So your argument is out the window

And re: the 98 final, he had took a fit the night before the match and clearly wasn't able to play but was put under pressure by sponsors etc to play. If he was fit there would have been a different result.

Our Nail Loney

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on May 07, 2009, 11:20:34 AM

What was this one about RLL??

Can anyone recommend any other wrestling autobiographies (I don't rate many biographies tbh) that are honest and frank? I don't wanna hear all the stuff they have to say while they are still under contract by the WWE, like hearing the juicy stuff, screwjobs and the likes...

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: Our Nail Loney on May 07, 2009, 11:24:04 AM
Quote from: The Real Laoislad on May 07, 2009, 11:20:34 AM

What was this one about RLL??

Its about Liverpool Champions League win in 2005,but it also goes behind the scenes and gives great insight into the dressing room of Liverpool that season.
You'll Never Walk Alone.

The GAA

Good mention too for Phil Jackson's "the final season" and "more than a game"

Minder

Quote from: The GAA on May 07, 2009, 11:33:05 AM

Good mention too for Phil Jackson's "the final season" and "more than a game"

Was that the last season with the Lakers? Does it go into any detail about Shaq & Kobe's apparent dislike for each other?

The GAA

Yeah, the lakers and he talks plenty about them. the impression you're lef with is that he hasn't much time for kobe but like shaq