Sports books/autobiographies

Started by corn02, May 06, 2009, 03:24:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Our Nail Loney

Thought Keanes was excellent.

Oisins was just an Armagh love in-didnt enjoy it.

Mick Fitzgeralds is good craic but you would need to have an interest in horses.

Gonna have to get Bret Harts definitely, cheers for the recommendation, would never have even thought of getting it otherwise

Owenbeg

Keane's, very good- pull no punches
Mick McCarthy- shite
Brian O'D- Year in the centre, ok- a bit cocky
martin johnson's- real arrogant man
Davy fitz- Cocky wee chap
McGrath's- bit mad- he was either clean rubbered or screw with injury's and still a stand out player in the prem.
Lance Armstrong's- very good
Brian Coceran's- very good
That one with all the hurling keepers from a few years ago- pretty good.
Remember readin Sambos when it first came out, must be over 10 years ago- would love to read it again.

Here is a question- who would you want to see write one- mine would have to be Joe Brolly. It would be a good read.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Owenbeg on May 06, 2009, 06:45:55 PM
Mick McCarthy- shite
McGrath's- bit mad- he was either clean rubbered or screw with injury's and still a stand out player in the prem.
Remember readin Sambos when it first came out, must be over 10 years ago- would love to read it again.

Here is a question- who would you want to see write one- mine would have to be Joe Brolly. It would be a good read.
We've probably read or heard it all over the past few years. I wouldn't believe a lot of what he would write as I'm sure he couldn't help adding embellishments.

Read a lot of the above books but enjoyed the Lance Armstrong, Paul McGrath and goal keepers one. Was it called Last Man Standing or something?

I can't believe someone read a book by/about Jonny Wilkinson. What a boring ****. The only sports books worth reading are by retired sportsmen or those on the edge of retirement. If they have an axe to grind it's even better.

Our Nail Loney

Quote from: Tony Baloney on May 06, 2009, 09:06:54 PM
Quote from: Owenbeg on May 06, 2009, 06:45:55 PM
Mick McCarthy- shite

We've probably read or heard it all over the past few years. I wouldn't believe a lot of what he would write as I'm sure he couldn't help adding embellishments.

Read a lot of the above books but enjoyed the Lance Armstrong, Paul McGrath and goal keepers one. Was it called Last Man Standing or something?

I can't believe someone read a book by/about Jonny Wilkinson. What a boring ****. The only sports books worth reading are by retired sportsmen or those on the edge of retirement. If they have an axe to grind it's even better.

You should read Mick Fitz's then, he has a serious axe with Richard Dunwoody, even though at times he tries to stress how good friends they are, then the next couple of pages he will lay into him!

Tommy Tight Lips

ricky hattons was quite good i thought.oisins wasnt great,just all about his football career really.some of the stuff in mcgraths was mental,he drank a bottle of domestos once!

ONeill

Easily done. In 2002, my brother, ballaxed out of his head as was everyone after a function, made a bet with a man that Tyrone would win 2 All-Irelands within the next five years. Unfortunately he added 'consecutively'. They struck the bet by drinking paint-water at 5am thinking it was some kind of alcopop concoction.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Doogie Browser

Cascarino's 'Full Time' was very good, it was ghost written by Kimmage.  Very honest account about him getting a french bird up the damien duff whilst still with his wife.  Won and lost a fortune gambling too.

ONeill

Quote from: Doogie Browser on May 06, 2009, 10:50:09 PM
Cascarino's 'Full Time' was very good, it was ghost written by Kimmage.  Very honest account about him getting a french bird up the damien duff whilst still with his wife.  Won and lost a fortune gambling too.

Compelling read, simply because of the 'voices in his head' saying he was shite. Thought that was hilarious but excellent interpretation of his game by 'the voices' .
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Doogie Browser

Whilst at Villa in the early 90's some of the fans wore t-shirts proclaiming 'I saw Tony Cascarino score a goal for the Villa'

5 Sams

In order...
Cascarino...one of the best ever...but not written by him >:(
Anything by Lance Armstrong...whether you're with him or not it is some story.
Moss Keane....funny as f**k
Willie John...insprirational
Jack O'Connor...read it again this week......wonder will he do a few extra chapters :) :) :)

As for sports books...not autobiographies....

Anything by Tom Humphries is pure gold....but Rough Ride by Kimmage and Kings of September by Foley should be on your bookshelf...f**k Shakespeare....this is the stuff we're interested in...
The Aristocrat Years

Norf Tyrone

Paul Cannoville's is very, very good. It won sport's book of the year there a few weeks back.

Cannoville was the first black player to play for Chelsea.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

Our Nail Loney

Any other good wrestling ones?? Like spill the beans ones?

I am in a real wrestling mood here, have my Stone Cold DVD on and just ordered some more DVDs...

Loooking to get the Bret bok plus more if they are honest...

PS listening to WWE Theme Tunes, the best are Hulk, Ray Mysterio and John Cena...

Our Nail Loney

corn02

Quote from: hardstation on May 07, 2009, 12:10:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior def the best.

If you like Warrior DO NOT read Hart's book.

5 Sams

Quote from: hardstation on May 07, 2009, 12:00:46 AM
Mo Bhealach Féin, Seosamh Mac Grianna.

He played right corner back for Rannafast once.

Bh'fhearr i  bhfad liom 'An Druma Mor" ach cibe...I mo thuairmse fein b'e 'Caisleain Oir' an ursceal is fearr thainig as na Rosann...

Agus I mind Joe playin...wasnt half as good as Leo i gCroithli...
The Aristocrat Years