Most "came out of nowhere" All-Ireland champions?

Started by blanketattack, May 06, 2009, 03:14:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oakleafer93

TAM thats the odds for last year, Derry and Donegal are both ahead and Monaghan just behing (Armagh at 6/1 Monaghan at 13/2)

armaghniac

QuoteAre those odds correct? I'm amazed that Armagh are second favourites.

Well Armagh did win in 2008 after all, so the bookies weren't so far off.

As for winners with no previous track record
Limerick 1887

If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Bogball XV

Quote5. TYRONE If they were a film star: Denzel Washington. Still one of the best around, though people seem to forget.

First, causes for concern. The two cornerstones of their defence - Ryan McMenamin and even Conor Gormley - had indifferent leagues. Raymond Mulgrew, despite scoring in every one of his first five league games, has yet to elevate his game to the level his team and talent demands. They no longer have Stevie, let alone Peter, Owen Mulligan has been injured too often to ever find out if he can ever lead the inside line, while many think Sean Cavanagh is wasted in there too.

Causes for optimism. The two McMahons have matured. The two Brians, McGuigan and Dooher, are now back; even if one of them gets back to 80 per cent of their old form would boost any team. People forget it was as an inside forward that Cavanagh first made his name while they're getting scores from other sources, like from Tommy McGuigan and their midfield which, with Enda McGinley deployed there, was the third-highest scoring midfield in the country this past league.

As Good As It Gets: Retain Ulster and get back to an All Ireland final.

The Verdict: Might not win it all themselves but could well stop someone else - Derry, Kerry or Dublin - winning it all.

Last year's tribune rating of Tyrone

http://www.tribune.ie/article/2008/may/11/lights-camera-action-for-the-blockbuster-summer/?q=Derry

eireogatron

Tyrone would have to REGAIN rather than RETAIN Ulster as they are not the holders.

Sorry to be pedantic but thats the only thing that I can hold on to at the minute as an Armagh man!!

armaghniac

QuoteSorry to be pedantic but thats the only thing that I can hold on to at the minute as an Armagh man!!

Sorry to be pedantic, but last year Tyrone were seeking to RETAIN their title and since the article referred to last year it was totally correct about that, if not so accurate about other things.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

eireogatron

apologies, I thought the quote was from a different article or poster as I didn't the point in quoting and linking the same information to the same post.

PS - it was a joke ::)

deiseach

Quote from: bcarrier on May 09, 2009, 10:49:11 PM
Down 91 was biggest upset of last 20 yrs. it is hindsight bias to suggest otherwise.

Agreed. Anyone who had said in 1990 that Ulster would dominate the next half decade would have been locked away. Once Down won in 1991, Donegal and Derry didn't seem such a big deal despite neither county having ever won the All-Ireland. But someone had to break the jinx, and Down were the ones who did it.

deiseach

Quote from: hardstation on May 24, 2009, 09:08:58 PM
Antrim were in line for the 1996 title if it weren't for Paddy Russell in '95.

FFS!

:D

AZOffaly

Most 'Came out of nowhere' All Ireland Champions - Offaly Footballers, 2009.