Most "came out of nowhere" All-Ireland champions?

Started by blanketattack, May 06, 2009, 03:14:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Armamike

Dublin 1974
Down 1991
Galway 1998

Three teams who came in on the blind side, built up great momentum during the championship wins and then hung around for a few years to prove their wins were no fluke. Being a neighbour of Down's, i don't recall too many Down ones talking about winning AIs back in 90/91 (and that's saying something!).

That's just, like your opinion man.

southderryman

as someone already said tyrone last year must be up there. sean cavanagh spoke after the defeat to down (i think...maybe it was the drawn game) about being in the business of winning the all ireland and to be honest most people laughed at that statement. even when they made their way through the qualifiers they were very ordinary, i remember a goal chance westmeath missed late on to knock them out. not too many people, the majority of their support included (i'd imagine) would have thought they'd be lifting sam come september. fair play to them, they got their act together (and much as it pains me to say it, they played some really good football against the dubs wexford and kerry) and ran out deserving winners.

cornafean

Quote from: southderryman on May 08, 2009, 12:20:11 AM
as someone already said tyrone last year must be up there. sean cavanagh spoke after the defeat to down (i think...maybe it was the drawn game) about being in the business of winning the all ireland and to be honest most people laughed at that statement. even when they made their way through the qualifiers they were very ordinary, i remember a goal chance westmeath missed late on to knock them out. not too many people, the majority of their support included (i'd imagine) would have thought they'd be lifting sam come september. fair play to them, they got their act together (and much as it pains me to say it, they played some really good football against the dubs wexford and kerry) and ran out deserving winners.

This is very true. I remember coming into Dublin Airport from my holidays on the afternoon of 2 August last. I turned on the radio in my mp3 player and the Mayo v Tyrone game was on. Mayo were winning by a goal at the time and I thought to myself "I hope Tyrone win this, at least they should be able to put up a good show in the quarter-final" Little did I know...

Another one in relation to Down in 1991, Michael Feeney formerly of the Ulster Council said once that the Down County Board decided at their 1990 Convention to set up a commission to find reasons for the poor state of football in the county. Nine months later they were AI champions. Is this story true?
Boycott Hadron. Support your local particle collider.

Our Nail Loney

Quote from: ardmhachaabu on May 07, 2009, 10:19:30 PM
Tyrone last year

::)

Yeah because their current squad had not tasted any previous success had they?

saffron sam2

Limerick '87 - no previous wins, no record of underage success, no successful colleges or unversity players, an untried (at that level) management team. 
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

southderryman

Quote from: cornafean on May 08, 2009, 09:43:24 AM
This is very true. I remember coming into Dublin Airport from my holidays on the afternoon of 2 August last. I turned on the radio in my mp3 player and the Mayo v Tyrone game was on. Mayo were winning by a goal at the time and I thought to myself "I hope Tyrone win this, at least they should be able to put up a good show in the quarter-final" Little did I know...

Another one in relation to Down in 1991, Michael Feeney formerly of the Ulster Council said once that the Down County Board decided at their 1990 Convention to set up a commission to find reasons for the poor state of football in the county. Nine months later they were AI champions. Is this story true?

well i was watching that game and even though i still thought they offered no threat at that stage (mayo v tyrone was a really poor game and it looked to me that two teams were going nowhere) i was disappointed they won, as i like to see them gone at the earliest possible opportunity  :D but as i say, fair play to them, they really raised their game from the quarter finals onwards.

no idea about the down story to be honest

southderryman

Quote from: Our Nail Loney on May 08, 2009, 10:45:42 AM
Tyrone last year

because of how they had been playing and it seemed the players had lost hunger. be honest niall, after the westmeath and mayo games last year could you really see tyrone winning sam at that stage?

Estimator

Quote from: Oakleafer93 on May 08, 2009, 01:11:47 PM
I personally though Tyrone 05 was a bit of a shock, not saying they came out of nowhere like but after cormac and all it seemed like they would be a one hit wonder, was good to see them win Sam that year however, but I thing they win is the one that pushed Armagh back.

??? ???
Ulster League Champions 2009

southderryman

Quote from: Estimator on May 08, 2009, 01:15:12 PM
Quote from: Oakleafer93 on May 08, 2009, 01:11:47 PM
I personally though Tyrone 05 was a bit of a shock, not saying they came out of nowhere like but after cormac and all it seemed like they would be a one hit wonder, was good to see them win Sam that year however, but I thing they win is the one that pushed Armagh back.

??? ???

was wondering about that myself  ???

Oakleafer93

It doesn't matter, I can't say how I meant it without offending anyone and I get enough abuse on here as it is.

Buckass

Galway 98 big time. They were 3-1 to beat Kildare on the day and prob longer to a/c for Derry.
Only for the master of the draw(@a time when ref got the replay), Seamus Prior, 98 would have ended on Conacht Final day 1 vs Ros. Galway hoofed a high ball forward in injury time and SP blew the free in. Nobody knew why.

Rossfan

Quote from: Buckass on May 08, 2009, 04:46:05 PM
Galway hoofed a high ball forward in injury time and SP blew the free in. Nobody knew why.

That red headed Layhtrum Aughnasheelin ************** will never be forgiven by anyone from Ros who was there that day  the dirty ***********.

Also a minute earlier the Galway full back Fahy took the ball off the ground with his big paws and no free while he gave the Galway free from 70 yards away.

Mind you the rest of the Laythrumite "Referees" have continued with the Prior tradition - no matter what happens it's a free against Roscommon  >:( >:( >:( >:(
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Bogball XV

Quote from: Our Nail Loney on May 08, 2009, 10:45:42 AM
Tyrone last year

Name me a bigger priced all ireland winner niall, possibly Clare '95, but I don't know since even antrim were quoted at circa 33/1 ten years ago.

Bogball XV

Quote from: saffron sam2 on May 08, 2009, 12:18:46 PM
Limerick '87 - no previous wins, no record of underage success, no successful colleges or unversity players, an untried (at that level) management team. 
right, i know i'm biting at something, but curiosity wins, what did they win??

Bogball XV

Quote from: Buckass on May 08, 2009, 04:46:05 PM
Galway 98 big time. They were 3-1 to beat Kildare on the day and prob longer to a/c for Derry.
Only for the master of the draw(@a time when ref got the replay), Seamus Prior, 98 would have ended on Conacht Final day 1 vs Ros. Galway hoofed a high ball forward in injury time and SP blew the free in. Nobody knew why.
5/2 v kildare i thought and 5/2 v derry too, 1/4 v roscommon and approx 13/8 v mayo in round one - no idea about initial outright odds as it wasn't an issue :'(