Discrimination against the GAA in the north - action request

Started by Donagh, April 29, 2009, 05:58:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

full back

Quote from: cornafean on May 01, 2009, 10:30:04 AM
There is an obvious alternative for Tesco - to declare that they have no problem accommodating events, symbols, emblems and jerseys of all voluntary sporting organisations. Live and let live.

That would never ever work in N Ireland
Some fcuker would find fault with it
In an ideal world 'live and let live' is the way it should be, but there are too many w4nkers up here & there is point scoring to be done by both sides

cornafean

Quote from: DennistheMenace on May 01, 2009, 10:33:51 AM
There is an obvious alternative for Tesco - to declare that they have no problem accommodating events, symbols, emblems and jerseys of all voluntary sporting organisations. Live and let live.

And risk losing and upsetting a sizeable section of their regular customers ? Not the smartest strategy, they have imo took the correct decision.

In other words, if they calculate that they can gain commercially from discriminating against sporting organisations (of whatever hue), then they should do so?

Btw, the Montgomery, Alabama bus driver that ordered Rosa Parks to give up her bus seat to a white person  said ""Y'all better make it light on yourselves and let me have those seats."  Sounds familiar?
Boycott Hadron. Support your local particle collider.

DennistheMenace

Quote from: cornafean on May 01, 2009, 10:46:38 AM
Quote from: DennistheMenace on May 01, 2009, 10:33:51 AM

And risk losing and upsetting a sizeable section of their regular customers ? Not the smartest strategy, they have imo took the correct decision.

In other words, if they calculate that they can gain commercially from discriminating against sporting organisations (of whatever hue), then they should do so? 

Tesco's can legally adopt this policy and ultimately it's their call - Obviously the ideal scenario is that every sporting organisation could wear their own colours and emblems but unfourtnately we don't live in the little house in prairie.

A blanket ban is the sensible option else they would be discriminating against one section of the sporting community which could have severe reprecussions for them.

Doogie Browser

I did say a couple of days ago that the net result would be Tesco banning all sporting organisations from collecting and or wearing their club colours, so everyone now loses out as they pander to the bigots.  Do agree that Tesco are in a difficult position on this and have sympathy for them.

T Fearon

The response I received t my complaint from Tesco.

Dear Mr Fearon

Thank you for your email which has reached the office of our Managing Director and to which I have been asked to reply.

I was concerned to learn that you were unhappy about the way in which the issue regarding the collection for the Gaelic Athletic Association was handled in our Antrim store.

We often facilitate local charities, community organisations and sporting groups by permitting them to collect money through bag packing at our stores. It is our policy to ask that the groups wear their uniforms and clearly display the name of their organisation on the collecting tins, so that customers will know for whom they are collecting.  Volunteer bag packers are then allocated a number of checkouts, so that customers have the option to go to another checkout if they do not wish to support this particular organisation.

Due to a number of vociferous complaints about the wearing of the GAA shirts while the group were collecting, our Duty Manager at Antrim store deviated from Tesco policy and asked that those packing should do so in plain T-shirts.  Subsequently, we have had several complaints to the store both from those opposed to the GAA shirts being worn and those opposed to the Duty Manager asking them to wear plain T-shirts instead.

We have now reviewed our bag packing policy and have decided that sporting organisations can continue to raise money in this way, but in future those collecting will be asked not to wear their sports kit as it appears that, regardless of the nature or allegiance of the club, it is possible to offend someone.  We shall, however, continue to ensure that the group is clearly identified on their collecting tins so that customers can make an informed choice about whether or not they wish to make a donation.

We would be deeply disappointed if we had to discontinue this practice as many organisations depend on this facility to raise funds.  It is never our intention to cause offence, so we rely on the co-operation and tolerance of our customers, in order to provide what is a very valuable service for a large number of organisations.

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to write. 

Kind Regards

Helen Duke
Customer Service Executive

How long before someone complains about the tins? ::)

Doogie Browser

cornafean

Quote from: T Fearon on May 01, 2009, 02:39:28 PM
How long before someone complains about the tins? ::)

How long indeed, Tony  :'(

Thanks for posting their response. There goes my clubcard, into the bin.
Boycott Hadron. Support your local particle collider.

DennistheMenace

Thank you for your email.

I was concerned to learn you were unhappy about the way in which theissue about the collection for the Gaelic Athletic Association washandled in the Antrim store.

We often facilitate local charities and community organisations bypermitting them to collect money through bag packing at our stores. Itis our policy to ask that the groups wear their uniforms so customerswill know the organisation for which they are collecting. This givesthe customer the option to go to another checkout if they do not wish tosupport this particular organisation. 

Our duty manager at Antrim store deviated from Tesco policy and askedthat those packing should do so in plain T-shirts. Subsequently wehave had several complaints to the store both from those opposed to theGAA shirts being worn and those opposed to the duty manager asking forthe shirts to be removed. 

We have re-issued our national bag packing procedures today and arecurrently reviewing their suitability for Northern Ireland. We would bevery disappointed if we had to discontinue this practice as manycharities and organisations depend on this facility to raise funds. Itis never our intention to cause offence so we rely on the co-operationand tolerance of our customers as we know that we can never pleaseeveryone.

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to write. 

If you have any further queries please do not hesitate to contact us atcustomer.service@tesco.co.uk quoting TES6444133X.

Kind Regards 

Kenneth Shand

Customer Service Manager

Tesco Customer Service

Evil Genius

Quote from: winghalfun on April 30, 2009, 01:00:13 PM
I was in the Enniskillen branch of Tescos on Sunday past and Enniskillen Rangers were bag packing for their club, It didn't even enter my head not to put something into their collection box.
They were wearing their club polo shirts with their club crest on it.

It was their youth section that were doing the packing.
For the record, Enniskillen Rangers FC have always been entirely mixed, at every level (playing, management, administration, support etc) throughout their entire 56 year history - and proudly so, at that. As a Junior club, they may not be so well known to members of this Board, but some of you may have heard of their most famous old boy, Jimmy Cleary, who as well as going on to represent NI at soccer, was also a talented Gaelic footballer in his youth.
Sadly, however, due to the "Rangers" in their name, some people assume that the club only caters for one side of the community. Perhaps they may be being influenced by the example of those other "mono-cultural" Rangers in Glasgow. Or Crossmaglen?  ;)
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Maroon Heaven

What a cop out by Tesco's. How can they say their new policy is to ask for all clothing to be removed. They supported Bigotry in its stores and should be dealing with that. I would presonally like to know how many people complained about these kids wearing GAA jerseys.

A shame for Tescos and I hope the people of Ireland walk away from their stores. This is a complete utter cop oout and anyone who is happy with their response needs to wake up and look at what happened. Every young kid deserves to wear a jersey no matter what team they follow.

DennistheMenace

I can't see too many people walking away from Tesco's because of this isolated incident.

When looked at with a bit of perspective it was the call of one member of management who made the wrong call which wasn't in accordance with Tesco Policy so I whilst the situation should have been avoidable it certainly won't put me going back to Tesco's in the slightest.

If anything it just reinforces my opinion that there are still many twisted people from both sections of the community who try and get one over the other through petty actions like this.

Unfortunately Tesco was piggy in the middle, a bad time to be a pig too.

red hander

'Vociferous complaints'  ... that's a laugh.  Aren't bigots by their very nature 'vociferous'.  I wonder if I complain 'vociferously' about Tesco stocking Israeli goods will they remove said goods cos I complained 'vociferously' ... wankers...

lynchbhoy

...so tescos are only going to address the wearing of 'sporting tops'...

thereby still allowing other 'contentious' groups collecting and having tit for tat 'vociferous complaints' on a weekly basis etc etc

the whole thing is sad, cant really blame tescos for their cop out
its the narrow minded sectarian louts taking issue with children at the outset who are to blame....

just plain sad, in the same old sectarian manner.

T Fearon

Jim Cleary played GAA way beyond his youth (though in those days Fermanagh tended to have only one Championship game each summer :D), and represented Ulster no less.

Coincidentally I played against Enniskillen Rangers' great rivals Ballinamallard Utd, in the IFA Junior Cup, way back in 1983 and I had a cracking goal disallowed for offside that day as well.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Evil Genius on May 01, 2009, 03:49:03 PM
Quote from: winghalfun on April 30, 2009, 01:00:13 PM
I was in the Enniskillen branch of Tescos on Sunday past and Enniskillen Rangers were bag packing for their club, It didn't even enter my head not to put something into their collection box.
They were wearing their club polo shirts with their club crest on it.

It was their youth section that were doing the packing.
For the record, Enniskillen Rangers FC have always been entirely mixed, at every level (playing, management, administration, support etc) throughout their entire 56 year history - and proudly so, at that. As a Junior club, they may not be so well known to members of this Board, but some of you may have heard of their most famous old boy, Jimmy Cleary, who as well as going on to represent NI at soccer, was also a talented Gaelic footballer in his youth.
Sadly, however, due to the "Rangers" in their name, some people assume that the club only caters for one side of the community. Perhaps they may be being influenced by the example of those other "mono-cultural" Rangers in Glasgow. Or Crossmaglen?  ;)

Thats just not relevant EG. What we are dealing with here is loud mindless bigots plain and simple. There is no reason to what they are doing other than protesting about "the other ones" having the gall to dare and wear GAA gear in public. It wouldn't matter if the GAA club had a sizable portion of protestants playing for them. Likewise, no one in their right mind would complain about kids from a soccer team collecting in a shop no matter if they were a 100% protestant club. For christ sake they are only kids and what lesson have the idiotic adults thought them now? It is sad and sickening. Tescos equally pathetic reply above is attempting to paint them as the poor divil caught in the middle. Not so. Tesco took the side of the mindless minority against their own store policy. They took the side of the bigot against the innocent child. Now they try and paint a picture of two equal sides arguing over GAA jerseys. I don't believe there to be a sizable proportion of protestants behind this complaint and I do believe we are dealing with a loud minority of nasty little bastards.