GAA Hard men (all counties)

Started by Captain Scarlet, January 17, 2007, 03:23:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nrico2006

Quote from: INDIANA on May 24, 2010, 04:50:17 PM
Quote from: lynchbhoy on May 24, 2010, 03:04:09 PM
Quote from: Club Rossa on May 24, 2010, 02:03:20 PM
Brian McGilligan told me that Pat O'Byrne from Wicklow was the strongest man he had ever played with or against.
story from Mick Lyons from that infamous tour (fight) v aussies out in Oz- that Pat O'Byrne and Brian McGilligan were the two hardest and toughest men on that tour and ever he seen to play football !

The aussies were running away from Mc Gilligan and O byrne during the rows. Some great pics from it. Heffo had a call that went out in each quarter which gave Mc Gilligan special licence to lamp one of the Aussie hardmen if they needed a thump. O Byrne had the same licence down the other end.
O Byrne was a sheep farmer from Wicklow and was the best front row forward the irish rugby team never had. He'd push hayes and horan together into the middle of next week.

Is there any pics floating about?  The farmers were always the toughest, I can remember at school when I was 12 or 13 and in PE the farmers could barely kick a ball but they were as strong as bulls, if they shouldered you you were on your hole with the wind knocked out of you.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Celt_Man

Quote from: nrico2006 on May 26, 2010, 10:47:04 AM
Brian McGilligan told me that Pat O'Byrne from Wicklow was the strongest man he had ever played with or against.
story from Mick Lyons from that infamous tour (fight) v aussies out in Oz- that Pat O'Byrne and Brian McGilligan were the two hardest and toughest men on that tour and ever he seen to play football !

The aussies were running away from Mc Gilligan and O byrne during the rows. Some great pics from it. Heffo had a call that went out in each quarter which gave Mc Gilligan special licence to lamp one of the Aussie hardmen if they needed a thump. O Byrne had the same licence down the other end.
O Byrne was a sheep farmer from Wicklow and was the best front row forward the irish rugby team never had. He'd push hayes and horan together into the middle of next week.

Is there any pics floating about?  The farmers were always the toughest, I can remember at scholl when I was 12 or 13 and in PE the farmers could barely kick a ball but they were as strong as bulls, if they shouldered you you were on your hole with the wind knocked out of you.

Aye I think Colm O'Rourke is right (Jaysus help me for saying that) - every team needs a farmer and a red head.... obviously a combination of the two is particularly fierce
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

nrico2006

Any pics of these brawls or incidents?
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

GalwayBayBoy

Wexford hurler Greg Jacob. Renowned for his hardness.

sans pessimism

Are there any hard men,such as F.Bellew left in todays teams
"So Boys stick together
in all kinds of weather"

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Is there any pics floating about?  The farmers were always the toughest, I can remember at school when I was 12 or 13 and in PE the farmers could barely kick a ball but they were as strong as bulls, if they shouldered you you were on your hole with the wind knocked out of you.

Sounds like Roscommon football for many a year.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

goal 10

I wish we had a few hard players now.

we are as soft as sh,,,,,,,

Don Johnson

Jonathan McCarron (Armagh u21s this year) is as hard as they come. Proper old school like his grandad old Jon McCarron did midfield for Armagh though injury cut him short.

Young Jon is undefeated in the Armagh fight nights and going for 3 from 3 in the upcoming fight night next year.

muppet

MWWSI 2017

men in black

Jinxy

The farmers would have been a few years older though in fairness.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Sleater

Quote from: GrandMasterFlash on May 24, 2010, 02:16:01 PM
Gerry McCarville, Scotstown & Monaghan.

I'd second that. McCarville was chiselled from granite

The Hill is Blue

The Quinns of Kilbride and Meath were as tough as they come.
I remember Dublin City in the Rare Old Times http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T7OaDDR7i8

muppet

Barney Rock.
Karl Diamond.
MWWSI 2017

sans pessimism

"So Boys stick together
in all kinds of weather"