Doire v Mhuineacháin 24/5/09

Started by Oakleafer93, April 27, 2009, 12:43:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Archie Mitchell

Tyrone tried to get suspension changed from 6 weeks to 4 weeks as a 6 weeks suspension was unheard of. If Ricey had of got 4 weeks he would have missed 1 game, when he got 6 weeks he missed 4 games, the same he would have missed with an 8 week suspension. The whole disciplinary procedure is up the left, should be a game(s) ban rather than a week(s) ban

tyronefan

Quote from: tbrick18 on June 12, 2009, 10:28:43 AM
Quote from: Maguire01 on June 11, 2009, 10:08:19 PM
Quote from: Will Hunting on June 11, 2009, 09:42:49 PM
Quote from: supersarsfields on June 11, 2009, 08:04:46 PM
Quote from: screenexile on June 11, 2009, 07:37:26 PM
Quote from: tyronefan on June 11, 2009, 07:34:25 PM
oh thats what Ricey got the 8 weeks for  

they went back over the last 10 years clips and he got a ban to cover all this

One minute you derry wans are telling us that Derry wasnt going to appeal Mullins ban because what he done was wrong and he deserved the 8 weeks now he was right to appeal and he really didnt deserve to be banned for that long at all

Sorry are we meant to be mind readers now and know what the County Board are doing? I said I don't think we should have appealed it and I haven't changed my mind about that!

No but it would have been wise to find out what the CB were doing before lording them for not appealing it. 

They didn't appeal the ban, they got it reduced to its appropriate length.
Call it what you want - it was an appeal.
And you really think 4 weeks (1 game in this case) is an appropriate sanction?
Whether or not you or I or anyone else feels it was appropriate, the rules have to be adhered to. The suspension for the charges against both players by the rules should be 4 weeks. From what I have read the appeal was about the lenght of ban applied for both incidents and that they did not match up with what the rules say the ban should have been.
You cant add on an extra 4 weeks just because you want to.

But thats what they done in Riceys case

why was he treated differently that the other 2

SidelineKick

Quote from: Archie Mitchell on June 12, 2009, 10:32:18 AM
Tyrone tried to get suspension changed from 6 weeks to 4 weeks as a 6 weeks suspension was unheard of. If Ricey had of got 4 weeks he would have missed 1 game, when he got 6 weeks he missed 4 games, the same he would have missed with an 8 week suspension. The whole disciplinary procedure is up the left, should be a game(s) ban rather than a week(s) ban

DING DING DING, WE HAVE A WINNER!

Completely agree Archie!
"If you want to box, say you want to box and we'll box"

Reported.

tbrick18

Quote from: GrandMasterFlash on June 12, 2009, 08:24:36 AM
I'm not even gonna read the preceding handbags stuff in this post but at the end of the day Fergal Doherty could only be punished for what was picked out via video evidence, i.e. the kick at the shins (trip) of Clerkin. He had been reprimanded by the referee for the other incidents.

I'm absolutely furious though that the powers that be think that kneeing a man in the b*lls is worthy of a four week ban. This is disgraceful! Surely kneeing a man in the groin is a little more severe than kicking a man in the shins/tripping. This is farcical. The powers that be are blatantly saying go out and assault a man where it really hurts, lodge an appeal and we'll ban you for a month. What the hell evidence suggested that the ban was half of that originally administered??

This is not a criticism at Derry as all counties are at it. Something has to be done soon though as for me this would is the biggest detractor of the support ever!

BTW JMohan, Tommy Freeman is far from an angel in club football, you are right on that one, but that's a whole different ball game. If we exposed every players club record on here we wouldn't get very far. His county record is good, not perfect but good. Look at the most recent carry-on in your own county, one county player breaking anothers jaw in a club game in an off the ball incident? Completely premeditated and not exactly practicing sportsmanship towards his team mate. Now, go on there and lift that 6 inch block out of your green house that you just fired through it..

I dont think there is anything in the rules that says kneeing in the groin is any more dangerous than kneeing on any other part of the body. The rule applied will be against kneeing....where the knee was to wont make a difference.

tbrick18

Quote from: tyronefan on June 12, 2009, 10:32:53 AM
Quote from: Maguire01 on June 11, 2009, 10:08:19 PM
Quote from: Will Hunting on June 11, 2009, 09:42:49 PM
Quote from: supersarsfields on June 11, 2009, 08:04:46 PM
Quote from: screenexile on June 11, 2009, 07:37:26 PM
Quote from: tyronefan on June 11, 2009, 07:34:25 PM
oh thats what Ricey got the 8 weeks for  

they went back over the last 10 years clips and he got a ban to cover all this

One minute you derry wans are telling us that Derry wasnt going to appeal Mullins ban because what he done was wrong and he deserved the 8 weeks now he was right to appeal and he really didnt deserve to be banned for that long at all

Sorry are we meant to be mind readers now and know what the County Board are doing? I said I don't think we should have appealed it and I haven't changed my mind about that!

No but it would have been wise to find out what the CB were doing before lording them for not appealing it. 

They didn't appeal the ban, they got it reduced to its appropriate length.
Call it what you want - it was an appeal.
And you really think 4 weeks (1 game in this case) is an appropriate sanction?
Whether or not you or I or anyone else feels it was appropriate, the rules have to be adhered to. The suspension for the charges against both players by the rules should be 4 weeks. From what I have read the appeal was about the lenght of ban applied for both incidents and that they did not match up with what the rules say the ban should have been.

But thats what they done in Riceys case

why was he treated differently that the other 2

I dont know the ins and outs of it but I can only assume when the CCC looked at the case they realised the mistake had been made but the mistake was that 8 weeks should have been given in the first place and when the ban wasnt overturned they applied the correct ban. They cant make any decision unless it is in the rules....if the 8 wee ban had been wrong Tryone could have taken it further. If it was so wrong why didnt they do that?

Also on a different note, read in todays Gaelic Life that the police are currently investigating 2 assualt charges at GAA games in Tyrone. Anyone of you tironnies know anything about that?

tyrone86

Read the Official Guide. For a category 2 offense it says Minimum Suspension 4 weeks, whereas for a category 1 (2 yellows) it has a fixed penalty. There's a level of discretion there for the Committee in Charge and the sooner the CCCC grow a set and start applying more than minimum suspension on a regular basis, the sooner this kind of shite will be cut out.

tbrick18

Quote from: tyrone86 on June 12, 2009, 10:42:14 AM

Read the Official Guide. For a category 2 offense it says Minimum Suspension 4 weeks, whereas for a category 1 (2 yellows) it has a fixed penalty. There's a level of discretion there for the Committee in Charge and the sooner the CCCC grow a set and start applying more than minimum suspension on a regular basis, the sooner this kind of shite will be cut out.

Discretion is one thing, but you still have to have ground to give a suspension more than the minmum. With all the appeals we see these days all it would take is for one case to be unfairly dealt with to open the flood gates to all sorts of bans being quashed outright. So I reckon there will only ever be the minimum ban given unless there is 100% certainty they can get away with dishing out more.

tyrone86

Quote from: tbrick18 on June 12, 2009, 10:45:16 AM
Discretion is one thing, but you still have to have ground to give a suspension more than the minmum. With all the appeals we see these days all it would take is for one case to be unfairly dealt with to open the flood gates to all sorts of bans being quashed outright. So I reckon there will only ever be the minimum ban given unless there is 100% certainty they can get away with dishing out more.

The only issue I'd take with that is that as far as I know that suspensions can't be thrown out on technicalities any more. It's fair enough I suppose, it just illustrates why the whole disciplinary system has to be overhauled.

Quote from: tbrick18 on June 12, 2009, 10:39:10 AM
Also on a different note, read in todays Gaelic Life that the police are currently investigating 2 assualt charges at GAA games in Tyrone. Anyone of you tironnies know anything about that?

There's bits and pieces on it on the Tyrone thread

Main Street

A good start to overhauling would be if the ref and citing group did not depend solely on photos and RTE highlights to make their case against a player, to enhance the refs report.  What little effort  (30 mins each)  does it take for 4 people to view all the camera angle footage with the aid of a remote control and select all the relevant bits?
This is a nonsense where the citing group assume the RTE pundits get it right, the televised angle is the only one and act accordingly with charging a player. Heavy sentence of 8 weeks is passed (according to how many tut tuts are heard)  and then leave it up to the player to prove himself less guilty than their one dimensional public relations inspired paranoia idea of what happened.

Joxer

I love the way the papersand nobody has mentioned the attempted eye gouge by Doherty. 

Brolly has alot to answer for and would love to see him face to face with Banty to try and explain himself.

Brolly has shown everyone what a leech he really is

Fuzzman

Interesting to hear Brolly's comments on Drivetime last night.
He was part of the defense for the two Derry lads & talks about getting other BBC footage that wasn't shown and once they saw that then they were happy he was not the aggressor.

They also mention that Doherty got stamped on & kicked & that the Monaghan aggressor is clearly identifiable but Joe didn't want to go further into it as maybe  more action will be taken on him.

You can listen to it hear
http://www.rte.ie/radio1/podcast/podcast_drivetimesport.xml

bingobus

Quote from: Joxer on June 12, 2009, 11:21:36 AM
I love the way the papersand nobody has mentioned the attempted eye gouge by Doherty. 

Brolly has alot to answer for and would love to see him face to face with Banty to try and explain himself.

Donherty is a fine gael and community man, he was merely removing a fly that had flown into Clerkins eye....Brolly has BBC footage of the fly entering the grounds on the day and that was enough for the GAA who all got to sit on Joes knee as he told a yarn about him back in the day  ::)

SidelineKick

Jesus so would I, Brolly can handle himself with anyone, why could he not with Banty?  ::)

Quote from: bingobus on June 12, 2009, 11:28:19 AM

Donherty is a fine gael and community man, he was merely removing a fly that had flown into Clerkins eye....Brolly has BBC footage of the fly entering the grounds on the day and that was enough for the GAA who all got to sit on Joes knee as he told a yarn about him back in the day  ::)

Yes and of course St DICK would never act the maggot or play outside of the rules.
"If you want to box, say you want to box and we'll box"

Reported.

Main Street

The ref was standing directly over the love tussle on the ground and was in a perfect position to see if Fergal was loosening himself or eye gouging.
His match report should have been the definitive one, instead I was under the impression that he changed his report after viewing this photo
and elevated the seriousness of the incident, rather dubiously imo.

Maguire01

Quote from: SidelineKick on June 12, 2009, 11:36:47 AM
Quote from: bingobus on June 12, 2009, 11:28:19 AM

Yes and of course St DICK would never act the maggot or play outside of the rules.
I think the point is that no one has been elevanting Dick to saintly status. We're lead to believe that Doherty spends all of his time helping old ladies cross the road and that his encounter with Dick turned him into this unrecognisable person.