Doire v Mhuineacháin 24/5/09

Started by Oakleafer93, April 27, 2009, 12:43:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

orangeman

RTE.IE

An ill-tempered Ulster SFC tie at Celtic Park provided the rules legislators with a compelling argument for a fresh look at reform.

A game peppered with late challenges, ugly clashes and all manner of unsavoury incidents ended in a three point win for Derry.

That Donegal referee Jimmy White sent off just one player, Derry's
Fergal Doherty, and booked only six, was an amazing statistic.

JMohan

Quote from: Schkite on May 24, 2009, 07:18:19 PM
Quote from: JMohan on May 24, 2009, 07:16:13 PM
I don't think Mullan was as devious as everyone is making out.

McManus rugby tackled the man for Gods sake - where's the referee for Gods sake?

In fairness if McManus wants to drag the game down to that level he deserves a knee in the jewels.

Oh and the ref does too!

Yes but the difference is Mullen will be getting a ban while McManus won't, what does that tell you about which was worse? People get dragged off the ball all the time, especially in Ulster, but you don't see scumbags kneeing fellas in the balls every week.

If Mullan gets a ban it's a disgrace

He was dragged to the ground - ref hadn't the balls to blow a whistle and he lashed out trying to get up - he appeared to connect with him and McManus cried on the ground trying to get him sent off ...

Scumbags are guys dragging men down then acting like they were shot to get men sent off

Rick O Shea

Quote from: Oakleafer1993 on May 24, 2009, 07:38:03 PM
Did anyone see the Monaghan Full back - i think it was Mone - letting on to kick Paddy Bradley in the head while paddy was down injuried ?

I think he was signaling to the linesman that someone ;) stood on his back when he was on the ground... basically saying "did you not see the stamp linesman??"

JMohan

Quote from: Oakleafer1993 on May 24, 2009, 07:38:03 PM
Did anyone see the Monaghan Full back - i think it was Mone - letting on to kick Paddy Bradley in the head while paddy was down injuried ?
Well that shows you all the football that is in him

Orior

BBC coverage.
========

1) The BBC's man on the side line must win something for having the longest eyelashes ever. Girls like it for some reason.

2) After Thomas Kane had interviewed 3 Derry Hi players, Austin apologised for the poor sound on the interview. How did Austin know that my wife chose to hoover the living room during the interview?

Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

orangeman

Quote from: JMohan on May 24, 2009, 09:09:21 PM

McManus rugby tackled the man for Gods sake - where's the referee for Gods sake?

In fairness if McManus wants to drag the game down to that level he deserves a knee in the jewels.

Oh and the ref does too!

Yes but the difference is Mullen will be getting a ban while McManus won't, what does that tell you about which was worse? People get dragged off the ball all the time, especially in Ulster, but you don't see scumbags kneeing fellas in the balls every week.

If Mullan gets a ban it's a disgraceHe was dragged to the ground - ref hadn't the balls to blow a whistle and he lashed out trying to get up - he appeared to connect with him and McManus cried on the ground trying to get him sent off ...

Scumbags are guys dragging men down then acting like they were shot to get men sent off

I reckon he's a certainty for a suspension.

JMohan

Quote from: Schkite on May 24, 2009, 07:48:18 PM
Missing JP Mone who is a huge miss for us, we don't the same resources as Derry to cope with injuries lest you forget. Paul McGuigan came on but not fit, he'd be a starter if he was at all fit this last while. And Lennon, well he might as well not been there in midfield, non-existant and the bad form clearly continuing.

Anyway, well done Derry and all the best. But it's awful hard to say that considering some of the shite you Derry ones are coming out with.

Even with those changes Monaghan wouldn't have been much different

DUBSFORSAM1

What an absolute disgraceful game that was....the quality of football and shooting was poor enough but the amount of sheer rubbish mouthing off, late tackles, 3rd man tackles, off the ball fighting, etc was disgraceful....The Doc was unbelievably lucky to last as long as he did...Should have got a 2nd yellow for the blatant trip just after his first yellow, should have got a straight red for the kick and a straight red for hitting McQuaid who didn't have the ball at all....

Square Ball

Siddie was in good form today... "hes harder than a physics A level"  :D
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

JMohan

Quote from: hardstation on May 24, 2009, 09:11:42 PM

Oh and the ref does too!

He was dragged to the ground - ref hadn't the balls to blow a whistle and he lashed out trying to get up - he appeared to connect with him and McManus cried on the ground trying to get him sent off ...

Bollocks!

How is it bollocks?

What are you going to do - let idiots drag men down and not let them defend themselves?

A man has a right to defend himself - and if McManus is man enough to drag a man to the ground he should be man enough to defend himself on it - not cry when he gets burnt.
He proper rugby tackled Mullan

mylestheslasher

For what its worth my opinion is that Monaghan were the instigators of the roughness in the game. They were also the more negative. But I suppose in a way you can't blame them. Football is about winning and Monaghan knew that the two Bradleys will do serious damage if played one on one against the Monaghan backs. They crowded t he back and tried to slow the ball in. When confronted with that Derry  had to fight fire with fire. Shite game but I think Derry will have more to offer in the next rounds and I'd expect them to give Ulster a right lash

timmyot501

Was at the match today and agree with an earlier post that there was some good football in the minor match. Plenty of mistakes and missed goal chances but good stuff and great scores.

The senior game had some of the crap off the ball stuff from before the first minute.  Both teams are to blame for this though I believe Derrys showed up worse on the telly.  But as a monaghan supporter this game was there for the taking but we didn't push on after the sending off.  We needed an extra attacker at that stage and we stuck with the extra defender. Big mistake.  

JMohan

Quote from: hardstation on May 24, 2009, 09:19:42 PM
Quote from: JMohan on May 24, 2009, 09:15:47 PM
Quote from: hardstation on May 24, 2009, 09:11:42 PM

Oh and the ref does too!

Bollocks!

How is it bollocks?

What are you going to do - let idiots drag men down and not let them defend themselves?

A man has a right to defend himself - and if McManus is man enough to drag a man to the ground he should be man enough to defend himself on it - not cry when he gets burnt.
He proper rugby tackled Mullan
They were on the ground pulling and hauling. Mullan lined him up and stuck his knee in McManus' tools.
Translation "I only see what I want to see"

tbrick18

The way is see it is this....before the ball was even thrown in Mone had started punching Paddy Bradley in the back...the umpire told the ref who had a wee look and threw the ball in. This set the tone for Monaghan. They knew they would get away with it so what was stopping them?
Derry started off at a blistering pace and in the first 10 mins actually looked like running away with it. McKaigue fluffed a goal chance which would have put us about 6 in front and from then on in Monaghan resorted to form with the dirt. Plain and simple...dirt. No other way of explaining it. In that first half Derry got zero protection from the ref and bar one or two occassions didnt retaliate which is a credit to them.
Clerkin (one of the dirtyest players I have ever seen) should have got his second yellow after the half time whistle but again it was let go.
Cassidy obviously told his players to be more agressive in the second half and I for one am glad he did. If the referee isnt protecting you, you have to stand up for yourself.  When Monaghan then realised they werent going to be able to bully derry any longer, even after Docs dismissal, the footballers came to the fore again, the bully's heads dropped and sealed the game for Derry.
Monaghan had no intention of playing football. This must be the "manliness" that Banty was scared of losing if the rule changes were implemented.  Monaghan have 5-6 really good footballers....the rest are average at best...but if they were actually coached to play football they would be at least as successfull as they have been with the dirt. If I was from Monaghan I would want to see them try to play football.

Derry are a footballing side. But today, for the first time in a long time they stood up the the "toughness" of another team. If Derry are playing a footballing team I doubt you would see much of the type of thing that happened today. So I'm looking forward to another Ulster Championship match against a proper footballing side.

I didnt see the knee to the nuts, but if that happened it deserves to be punished. No excuse for it.

orangeman

Had Paul Galvin done what Brian Mullan did today there would be calls for Galvin to get at least 6 months.