Doire v Mhuineacháin 24/5/09

Started by Oakleafer93, April 27, 2009, 12:43:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tbrick18

Quote from: Maguire01 on May 25, 2009, 02:20:25 PM
Quote from: bingobus on May 25, 2009, 10:13:40 AM
Also heard that the area behind the stand is very narrow and toilets all down one end and at half time a serious crush was developing with alot of children involved.
Yep, new stand is nice, but the exit areas are very narrow and there was some crushing trying to get in and out at times. Also, stewards did absolutely nothing to help the situation - just looked on.

Agree 100%. It was downright dangerous. The passageway is quite narrow and all the smokers congregated there. So at half time when people were going to the toilets it became jammed, children in the middle of it all too. I was stuck in the middle of it for a good 5 mins without anyone getting up or down. When I finally got back the the stand, I see 2 stewards (if you can call frontiline paid security guards stewards) standing chatting and smoking themselves. This was downright dangerous. The stewards failed miserably to do anything and its a miracle no-one was hurt.
Bar that, I must say I thought the new stand was really good, even though its difficult to see both corners of the pitch from anywhere but right in the middle.

red hander

There were plenty of inbreds on this board whining about Ricey and Tommy during the league yet they're now loathe to condemn the trampish behaviour of Doherty and Mullin ... yes Monaghan can be a dirty shower but to listen to the Derry wans you'd think butter wouldn't melt

Tyrones own

Quote from: red hander on May 25, 2009, 04:37:35 PM
There were plenty of inbreds on this board whining about Ricey and Tommy during the league yet they're now loathe to condemn the trampish behaviour of Doherty and Mullin ... yes Monaghan can be a dirty shower but to listen to the Derry wans you'd think butter wouldn't melt

Cameltohill suggested an end to this thread, I'd say mission accomplished there RH  :D
Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann

SidelineKick

Quote from: red hander on May 25, 2009, 04:37:35 PM

Don't know why Tyronies would be whinging about their own players but anyway, I think every Derry poster knows that the actions of those involved in any of the incidents yesterday should and will get punished! I would say that Mullan's was worse than Ricey's.  A full blown knee to the balls is completely out of order.

I however would tend to stick to my guns when I say that Derry generally are not this type of team whereas Monaghan are always this type of team!  Lets not bring the Derry / Tyrone thing into this, everyone will agree Mullan's was worse than Ricey's.  Monaghan's hard man attitude did not work for them yesterday and I am glad Derry decided to stand up for themsleves.  Perhaps if Tyrone had been beaten by them in the championship two years running you would gain some perspective.  I also do understand that there is a difference in standing up for yourself and going overboard.  Rory Woods was the most dangerous player on the field yesterday. Every incident that he got involved in had nothing to do with him, always the 3rd man.

Suspensions will be handed out, rightly so.
Derry won, I am happy.
All respect for Monaghan, gone.
"If you want to box, say you want to box and we'll box"

Reported.

Gnevin

Just watch this on the TSG now. I can't believe they though the ref had a good game. In what world did he have a good game . Some of the tackles wouldn't of been out of place on a Rugby pitch.  A few Red cards early on would of sorted out this game .
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

JMohan

Quote from: orangeman on May 25, 2009, 03:22:13 PM
GAA set to view Celtic Park video  

Kevin McGuckin and Thomas Freeman have a wrestling match at Celtic Park
GAA disciplinary bosses look likely to use video evidence to view a number of incidents from Sunday's Ulster SFC clash between Derry and Monaghan.

Derry's Fergal Doherty was sent off and there are several other incidents which are expected to be viewed by the Central Competitions Control Committee.

Oak Leaf sub Brian Mullan appeared to knee Monaghan's Conor McManus in the groin area during a second-half tussle.

Monaghan's Thomas Freeman also appeared to clash with Derry's Kevin McGuckin.

There have also been media reports that a Monaghan player was struck by a supporter midway through the second half of the bad-tempered Celtic Park encounter.

Doherty received his marching orders after shouldering Monaghan's Gary McQuaid in the chest in an effort to get the ball, following the awarding of a free to Derry.

The Derry captain was also caught on camera, aiming a kick at Dick Clerkin and the respective midfielders were in each other's faces for the entire game.

Croke Park refused to comment on the incidents on Monday with GAA president Christy Cooney saying that it would be inappropriate to say anything which "could interfere with due process".

However, precedent suggests that the CCCC, now chaired by Tyrone man Seamus Woods, will study the match video and it will not be a surprise if a number of players are asked to explain various actions.

Despite the chorus of criticism directed at the teams after the game, Derry manager Damien Cassidy made no apologies for his team's approach.

"It was a battle but it was not going to be anything else," said a delighted Derry boss.

All we care about is the result and that's all that matters in this game

Derry manager Damien Cassidy
"People sitting at home may be complaining about the quality of football but we are not in the buisness of entertaining people.

"This is an amateur game - you sacrifice your working like and your family life and we don't get paid for entertaining people.

"We showed the football we can play in the last 15 minutes but up until then it was a physical game and that's what we expect.

"All we care about is the result and that's all that matters in this game.

"I don't think Fergal should have been sent-off. Someone was holding the ball and he put the shoulder in him and that's part of the game." ??? serious ???

However, Cassidy is now facing the possibility of being short-handed for the Ulster semi-final against Tyrone or Armagh on 21 June if the CCCC opts to take action.

Cassidy already has several injury problems with Enda Muldoon (broken foot), Niall McCusker (groin operation), Sean Marty Lockhart (ankle) all currently out of action.

I hope they look at the video and deal with any unsavoury incidents
I also hope they assess the referees performance.

Oakleafer93

Fergal was out of order and deserved his 2nd yellow leading to his departure, but to be fair he was about to take a free and Mc Quaid had no business being where he was, no excusing Fergals behaviour but Mc Quaid went looking for bother.

boojangles

Quote from: RMDrive on May 25, 2009, 02:45:23 PM
Quote from: boojangles on May 25, 2009, 02:03:53 PM
Quote from: saffron sam2 on May 25, 2009, 10:36:21 AM

Cass has a reputation for playing a particular style of effective, if not overly-attractive, football; he i snot reknowned for preparing teams to win by common thuggery. By this stage, McEnaney certainly is. The blame for yesterday's events lies almost entirely with how the GAA has failed to deal with this Monaghan squad.

Whilst you can look at individual incidents involving Derry, you have to look at the whole ethos of the Monaghan team and I would encourage the heirarchy of the GAA to consider excluding Monaghan from the qualifier draw. I certainly wouldn't want them and their tactics sullying the hallowed turf of Casement Park later this summer.

Saffron cop the f**k on will ya.I was at the game yesterday as a neutral(Cavan man) and I seen bad incidents from both sides.Both teams played on the edge and at times it wasnt pretty but it was Ulster football,played at an intensity which at times was brilliant. Blaming Monaghan solely for yesterdays spectacle and saying they shud be left out of the Qualifiers is totally outrageous.I tell ya one thing,I would love if my club played with the same intensity that either team played with yesterday.No Quarter asked No Quarter given.Let the Media go to town and highlight the bad incidents,and rightly so.But dont talk as if yesterdays game is alien to us,its not,it was Ulster football,with extra bad blood thrown in.Some lads will get suspensions and deservedly so,but lets leave it at that.

Big Joe summed it up for me last night when he said ... "There's a manliness in the Ulster Championship. There was no manliness there today."
And as an Ulster man, I can definitely say that it was alien to me.

I would be an admirer of Joe Kernan and his Armagh team but if there was no manliness in yesterdays game,well then there was no manliness in most games that Joe was involved in as Armagh manager.
Serious amount of whinging lads.Myself and my brother walked away from Celtic park yesterday,and all we could talk about was the Intensity that both teams brought.Thats Championship football. And if both teams can reproduce the same intensity they will take stopping.

ardmhachaabu

Quote from: boojangles on May 25, 2009, 07:22:15 PM

Cass has a reputation for playing a particular style of effective, if not overly-attractive, football; he i snot reknowned for preparing teams to win by common thuggery. By this stage, McEnaney certainly is. The blame for yesterday's events lies almost entirely with how the GAA has failed to deal with this Monaghan squad.

Whilst you can look at individual incidents involving Derry, you have to look at the whole ethos of the Monaghan team and I would encourage the heirarchy of the GAA to consider excluding Monaghan from the qualifier draw. I certainly wouldn't want them and their tactics sullying the hallowed turf of Casement Park later this summer.

Saffron cop the f**k on will ya.I was at the game yesterday as a neutral(Cavan man) and I seen bad incidents from both sides.Both teams played on the edge and at times it wasnt pretty but it was Ulster football,played at an intensity which at times was brilliant. Blaming Monaghan solely for yesterdays spectacle and saying they shud be left out of the Qualifiers is totally outrageous.I tell ya one thing,I would love if my club played with the same intensity that either team played with yesterday.No Quarter asked No Quarter given.Let the Media go to town and highlight the bad incidents,and rightly so.But dont talk as if yesterdays game is alien to us,its not,it was Ulster football,with extra bad blood thrown in.Some lads will get suspensions and deservedly so,but lets leave it at that.

Big Joe summed it up for me last night when he said ... "There's a manliness in the Ulster Championship. There was no manliness there today."

I would be an admirer of Joe Kernan and his Armagh team but if there was no manliness in yesterdays game,well then there was no manliness in most games that Joe was involved in as Armagh manager.
Serious amount of whinging lads.Myself and my brother walked away from Celtic park yesterday,and all we could talk about was the Intensity that both teams brought.Thats Championship football. And if both teams can reproduce the same intensity they will take stopping.
Jaysus!  ::)

I have seen more intensity at an under-12s
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

Maguire01

Quote from: SidelineKick on May 25, 2009, 05:04:00 PM
Monaghan's hard man attitude did not work for them yesterday and I am glad Derry decided to stand up for themsleves.  

I also do understand that there is a difference in standing up for yourself and going overboard.  

So which did Derry do yesterday? Stand up for themselves or go overboard?

Maguire01

Rory Woods was the most dangerous player on the field yesterday. Every incident that he got involved in had nothing to do with him, always the 3rd man.
Eh? Come on! Rory Woods can be hot headed and shouldn't get involved in such incidents, but how was he "the most dangerous player on the field yesterday"? Did he kick anyone? Did he headbutt anyone? Did he grab anyone by the legs? Did he knee anyone in the groin? I'm open to correction if i missed something, but the most he did was pushing and shoving - in comparison to some of yesterday's incidents... foolish yes, but hardly dangerous.

ExiledGael

Quote from: ardmhachaabu on May 25, 2009, 07:31:08 PM

You obviously weren't there. There were a lot of things lacking yesterday, intensity certainly wasn't one of them. Have to say for all the nonsense I really enjoyed the intensity of it all.

And by the way Maguire Woods did kick someone. Seen him do it when he was no more than a foot from the ref when his back was turned.
Not so much dangerous as you say but childish. Pathetic all the same. Mullan will get a ban, possibly Freeman and that will be it.

boojangles

Quote from: ExiledGael on May 25, 2009, 07:42:30 PM

You obviously weren't there. There were a lot of things lacking yesterday, intensity certainly wasn't one of them. Have to say for all the nonsense I really enjoyed the intensity of it all.

And by the way Maguire Woods did kick someone. Seen him do it when he was no more than a foot from the ref when his back was turned.
Not so much dangerous as you say but childish. Pathetic all the same. Mullan will get a ban, possibly Freeman and that will be it.

Seen Rory do that alright,down beside the goals,stupid little kick but lucky all the same. Obviously Joe Kernan must be coaching these Under-12s you speak off.Must be a manly bunch of lads. :D :D

ardmhachaabu

Quote from: ExiledGael on May 25, 2009, 07:42:30 PM

Intensity?

Catch yourself on.
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

Bogball XV

Quote from: Maguire01 on May 25, 2009, 07:37:17 PM
Rory Woods was the most dangerous player on the field yesterday. Every incident that he got involved in had nothing to do with him, always the 3rd man.
Eh? Come on! Rory Woods can be hot headed and shouldn't get involved in such incidents, but how was he "the most dangerous player on the field yesterday"? Did he kick anyone? Did he headbutt anyone? Did he grab anyone by the legs? Did he knee anyone in the groin? I'm open to correction if i missed something, but the most he did was pushing and shoving - in comparison to some of yesterday's incidents... foolish yes, but hardly dangerous.
Nah, as I said before Freeman's challenge on McGuigan was the most dangerous by a mile - lucky that serious injury wasn't suffered.