Ryan Giggs PFA player of the year

Started by Minus15, April 27, 2009, 10:21:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clown

has Scholes ever won it or does the canvassing for him start next January?

Scholes next year, Nose Neville the following year.....

full back

Quote from: Clown on April 27, 2009, 10:48:27 AM
Vidic
Gerrard
Rooney
Ireland
Ronaldo
Cahill
Jagielka
Young
Agbonlahor
Robinho
Van Der Sar
Lampard
Anelka
Torres
Benayoun
Ferdinand
Lennon
Fellaini
Arteta
Hangeland
Kuyt
Barry
Van Persie
Glen Johnson
Geovanni
Kevin Davies
Evra
Schwarzer
Valencia
Keane
Berbatov
Brunt

Matt Taylor
Bent
Lescott
Given
Carlton Cole
Johnny Evans
Petrov
and finally - Rory Delap

If sheff united get promoted im getting on at paddy powers early for gary speed to win it next year, i dont think he's won it before

Without even checking the list properly, catch a grip of yourself with the players highlighted
Giggs doesnt deserve it, of that there is no doubt, but there is no point in just making things up to justify your point ::)

mountainboii

Quote from: Doogie Browser on April 27, 2009, 11:07:57 AM
Sentimental old tosh from the PFA this year, the fact Lampard did not even make the shortlist has highlighted the flaws in their current system.  Someone said name me 40 players who had a better season than Giggs, I could name at least 2 players from every team in the league this season who had better seasons straight off.  Fergie's canvassing wins through yet again.
No one denies Giggs has been a great player but this award besmirches the name of the PFA prize and their current system.

Oh that dastardly Alex Ferguson, what evil deeds will he get up to next!?!

FFS wise up lads! The pros that vote for this are big boys, they can make up their own minds.

Clown

well giggs' win was based on 3 good performances IMO - home to chelsea, away to west ham and away to derby in the cup

robbie keane had a few good performances at liverpool eg way to arsenal, and has been playing well at spurs - more goals and assists than giggs

berbatov has scored a lot of winners for united

brunt has scored more in a weaker team from midfield

petrov has been consistent in the villa midfield

Ping Pong Santa

All in all, Clown still threw together a pretty good and quick list of 35 players with better seasons or at least as good a season as Giggs.

Clown

corn02

Quote from: AFS on April 27, 2009, 11:14:05 AM
Sentimental old tosh from the PFA this year, the fact Lampard did not even make the shortlist has highlighted the flaws in their current system.  Someone said name me 40 players who had a better season than Giggs, I could name at least 2 players from every team in the league this season who had better seasons straight off.  Fergie's canvassing wins through yet again.
No one denies Giggs has been a great player but this award besmirches the name of the PFA prize and their current system.

FFS wise up lads! The pros that vote for this are big boys, they can make up their own minds.

This has clearly been as a result of Ferguson's canvassing AFS, there is no question about that.

Are you honestly going to say that without Ferguson's input ANY United fan would have selected Giggs ahead of other United players who deserve it more - e.g Ronaldo, Rooney, Vidic, even maybe O' Shea.

full back

No point in arguing as it is all about a point of view, but IMHO none of those 4 players have had better seasons than Giggs

Corn, it isnt the fans who make the decision

Clown

maybe not, but the other 36 did
so giggsy was the 37th best player in the league this year

Doogie Browser

Quote from: AFS on April 27, 2009, 11:14:05 AM

You wise up, who has been the main person mentioning Giggs for this award the past few months?  So that equals canvassing in my book.  If the pros think he was the POTY then they really are as stupid as we are led to believe.  He was not even the 5th best player in Manchester this year FFS.
For what its worth also, I do not trust that smarmy c*nt Gordon Taylor of the PFA either.

mountainboii

So what if Ferguson 'canvassed' for him? He's not the moral guardian of the PFA awards, he can say whoever he wants to win the thing. Its not Ferguson's, Giggs' nor anyone at United's fault that an evidently large proportion of premier league players were too thick to pick a credible winner.

Minder

I dont think its totally because the players are thick (they are), i just dont think they give a s*it and half of them were probably taking the piss. I remember reading recently that one player from each club usually gets given the task of voting for the whole team and this player in particular gave it to his best mate to do, a non player, beacuse he couldnt be arsed.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

nifan

In his own team the players I think who have had better seasons:

Vidic
Ferdinand
Evra
Fletcher
Carrick
Rooney
Ronaldo (though a massive way short of his last season)

nifan

And clown, you have a few odd ones on there right enough
considering you missed the likes of Alonso

Clown

it was a quickly thrown together list nifan
i still believe each one had a better season than giggs