Ryan Giggs PFA player of the year

Started by Minus15, April 27, 2009, 10:21:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

magpie seanie

Quote from: thebigfella on April 27, 2009, 05:34:58 PM
Quote from: Minus15 on April 27, 2009, 04:46:13 PM
Quote from: thebigfella on April 27, 2009, 02:14:23 PM
Maybe it was a sentimental vote but again its voted by his peers and they all decided he deserved it (and not by fans with different agendas). No matter what complaints everyone has the following doesn't lie -

Premier League (10): 1992–93, 1993–94, 1995–96, 1996–97, 1998–99, 1999–2000, 2000–01, 2002–03, 2006–07, 2007–08
FA Cup (4): 1993–94, 1995–96, 1998–99, 2003–04
Football League Cup (3): 1991–92, 2005–06, 2008–09
FA Community Shield (7): 1993, 1994, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2007, 2008
UEFA Champions League (2): 1998–99, 2007–08
UEFA Super Cup (1): 1991
Intercontinental Cup (1): 1999
FIFA Club World Cup (1): 2008

With another possible set of League and Champions League medals this year to follow last years. For me Giggs has been example to everyone in current football regimes with his loyalty, respect, fair play (1 senting off in his career I think, playing for Wales), dedication, consistency.......... You can argue that other players in the Utd have had a better season but Giggs consistently has performed at the highest level for the last 17 seasons (I think). People like Fletcher may have had a good season but they only look so good because they have raised the bar from last season, it's easy to forget people who consistently deliver when asked.

Personally I'm glad he got it and could care less about the team of the year and who should/shouldn't have been included. We're all fans and we would like to see own teams players in there but FFS Mascherano  ::) ;D

Its called the Player of the Year Award, not the Player of the Last 15 years who has never won it before award

Fair enough look at the 2008 achievements. If it's based on the year 2008 like suggested earlier in this thread then he has a Premier and Champions League medal to show for it (we'll not worry about the World Club thingy). No one outside the PFA know the criteria used to select Giggs but again it was voted for by his peers and in my book thats a pretty big accolade. If you based it on trophies (and their importance) won last year then no other team has a look in but somehow I don't think thats what they are looking for  ::)

He also broke the record for most appearances for Manchester United in the Champions League final where he happened to score the winning penalty. Really an incredible achievement and certainly one that is unlikely to be equalled.

Ping Pong Santa

There is a great bit in Lee Sharpe's book where him and Giggs as young lads (Giggs probably about 18 or 19 at this stage) were away out on the tear after some game where Fergie had said they could literally go out and have 2 pints or something.

But anyway they took the piss and were in some girls house at 4 in the morning with a party in full swing when there's a loud bang on the door. It's Fergie and he drags the two of them out of the house. He had serious words with them on the Monday morning I think and if I remember correctly I think Sharpe said he knew he wasn't gonna be at United long after that. Giggs on the other hand obviously reigned it in.

Minder

Quote from: Tony Baloney on April 27, 2009, 12:21:38 PM
Any of the big bookies reporting "irregular betting patterns" in the run up to this?
Corals stopped taking bets when two men went into separate branches in Manchester and placed four figure bets on Giggs to win.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Minder on April 27, 2009, 06:01:19 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on April 27, 2009, 12:21:38 PM
Any of the big bookies reporting "irregular betting patterns" in the run up to this?
Corals stopped taking bets when two men went into separate branches in Manchester and placed four figure bets on Giggs to win.
Did one of them have a purple nose and speak with a strong Scottish accent?

Rav67

Quote from: Ping Pong Santa on April 27, 2009, 05:55:46 PM
There is a great bit in Lee Sharpe's book where him and Giggs as young lads (Giggs probably about 18 or 19 at this stage) were away out on the tear after some game where Fergie had said they could literally go out and have 2 pints or something.

But anyway they took the piss and were in some girls house at 4 in the morning with a party in full swing when there's a loud bang on the door. It's Fergie and he drags the two of them out of the house. He had serious words with them on the Monday morning I think and if I remember correctly I think Sharpe said he knew he wasn't gonna be at United long after that. Giggs on the other hand obviously reigned it in.

Giggs loved partying when younger but I read before he didn;t drink much when out, just concentrated on riding half of Manchester!  Sharpe didn't look after himself physically the way Giggs did and his injuries/ serious health issues all took its toll and he was rubbish by about 24

gorm agus bui

Quote from: Katchit on April 27, 2009, 04:54:05 PM
This gesture has devalued the award tenfold, joke decision really.

Can't just about fathom why Young got Young player ahead of Ireland but the Giggs award is sentimental rubbish.
Young got young player of the year because he was young and Ireland will some day get Ireland's players of the year

fred the red

Quote from: gorm agus bui on April 27, 2009, 09:05:20 PM
Quote from: Katchit on April 27, 2009, 04:54:05 PM
This gesture has devalued the award tenfold, joke decision really.

Can't just about fathom why Young got Young player ahead of Ireland but the Giggs award is sentimental rubbish.
Young got young player of the year because he was young and Ireland will some day get Ireland's players of the year

???

under the bar

QuoteCan't just about fathom why Young got Young player ahead of Ireland but the Giggs award is sentimental rubbish.

???

Makes perfect sense to me.  Much in the same way as Benayoun will probably get Ugly Isreali b*stard player of the year.

Carmen Stateside

Quote from: under the bar on April 27, 2009, 10:54:23 PM
QuoteCan't just about fathom why Young got Young player ahead of Ireland but the Giggs award is sentimental rubbish.

???

Makes perfect sense to me.  Much in the same way as Benayoun will probably get Ugly Isreali b*stard player of the year.

Typical!! ::)

EC Unique

QuoteWith his 800th Reds appearance looming, just about every medal the game has to offer in a bulging trophy cabinet, and 19 incredible seasons served at Old Trafford, fans are calling for Ryan Giggs to be knighted.

Giggs made his Reds debut in the old First Division (that's how long he's been around) back in 1991 against Everton.

The Welshman's latest conquest - the prestigious PFA Players' Player of the Year - shouldn't be the only title bestowed upon him, according to United supporters.

The website, sirryangiggs.com, is attempting to canvass a list of names to be sent to the Queen.

It's not the only online army calling for Giggs to be knighted, with several other sites also running petitions.

Giggs did collect an OBE from the Queen for services to football back in December 2007, but fans think Ryan deserves an even higher honour, with which he would join the likes of Sir Alex Ferguson and Sir Bobby Charlton.

:D :D

The GAA

Anyone who has watched united consistently over this season should be aware that Vidic has been head and shoulders the player of the year. a colossus.
he had a wobble for a 10 days about 6 weeks back but before and since he has been a one man defence with a largely weakened and ever changing back 4 around him. scores some vital goals too.