Derek Davis - Manager of the Year Already?

Started by In the Onion Bag, April 26, 2009, 11:06:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mourne Rover

A tremendous game at Parnell Park which should not be missed on RTE on Sunday night. It was championship-style football with two red cards, and arguably the ref should have shown two more, crunching tackles and some outstanding long-range scores. Both teams played best against the wind, Glasdrumman got their noses in front in the closing stages and Dromahair had two decent chances to get a draw during the six minutes of injury time. It was quite a night.

Doogie Browser

Big Del was on Tubridy tonight with the blade from Leitrim, f**k but she was annoying.  Glad she was on the losing side.

Jinxy

I don't think Derek Davis came across very well.
I thought the interview was pretty uncomfortable viewing in general but I'd blame Derek more than the other one.
Dunno if he'd had a few but his "sexual favours" comment at the start set the tone for the whole thing and instead of anything positive being said about the GAA and the clubs involved it just descended into the two of them making smart comments about each other.
A proper presenter could have sorted it out easily enough but that gimp Tubridy is hopeless.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

In the Onion Bag

Jinxy,
Be in no doubt that Celeb Bainisteoir is primarily about the celebs and less about clubs involved and even less again about the GAA itself.
Any benefit gained by the GAA are secondary to RTEs brocasting needs, they are just making another programme.  That is not to say that the programme does have definite gains for the Association in terms of providing another publicity platform set in a GAA context. 
I am sure the clubs involved and their local communities derive great fun and even pride from CB (although I have heard that the teams that win it fair poorly in their home competitions as a result??)

The Puberty show was designed durely as a preview for tonight's final broadcast, the celebs and nothing else whatsoever. 

45GoneShort

Quote from: Jinxy on May 10, 2009, 10:56:11 AM
I don't think Derek Davis came across very well.
I thought the interview was pretty uncomfortable viewing in general but I'd blame Derek more than the other one.
Dunno if he'd had a few but his "sexual favours" comment at the start set the tone for the whole thing and instead of anything positive being said about the GAA and the clubs involved it just descended into the two of them making smart comments about each other.
A proper presenter could have sorted it out easily enough but that gimp Tubridy is hopeless.

Totally agree with you, Davis lowered himself to Lynchs level which I was very surprised by as he always came across as being very well spoken. There was very little talked about the affect the whole series has had on Dromhaire from my own point of view. It has transformed this club which has had some very promising underage coming through over the last 5-10 years but were always a yo yo intermediate junior team, but this year they have won five from five in Division 2 of the league and look a safe bet for promotion while the Championship could see them leaping from a very poor Intermediate outfit to a senior club in the space of 12 months.  Apparently Mickey Quinn has done a power of work with the team behind the scenes and because of this he has agreed to take them over for the rest of the season. 

muppet

Quote from: In the Onion Bag on May 10, 2009, 12:24:46 PM
Jinxy,
Be in no doubt that Celeb Bainisteoir is primarily about the celebs and less about clubs involved and even less again about the GAA itself.
Any benefit gained by the GAA are secondary to RTEs brocasting needs, they are just making another programme.  That is not to say that the programme does have definite gains for the Association in terms of providing another publicity platform set in a GAA context. 
I am sure the clubs involved and their local communities derive great fun and even pride from CB (although I have heard that the teams that win it fair poorly in their home competitions as a result??)

The Puberty show was designed durely as a preview for tonight's final broadcast, the celebs and nothing else whatsoever. 

or
Quote from: 45GoneShort on May 10, 2009, 12:31:10 PM
Totally agree with you, Davis lowered himself to Lynchs level which I was very surprised by as he always came across as being very well spoken. There was very little talked about the affect the whole series has had on Dromhaire from my own point of view. It has transformed this club which has had some very promising underage coming through over the last 5-10 years but were always a yo yo intermediate junior team, but this year they have won five from five in Division 2 of the league and look a safe bet for promotion while the Championship could see them leaping from a very poor Intermediate outfit to a senior club in the space of 12 months.  Apparently Mickey Quinn has done a power of work with the team behind the scenes and because of this he has agreed to take them over for the rest of the season. 

Quite a difference in those statements.

MWWSI 2017

Jinxy

I think Maryland won the intermediate championship in Westmeath last year too.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Jinxy on May 10, 2009, 06:19:44 PM

They did indeed. I don't think Onion Bag's comment bears up to be honest.

In the Onion Bag

AZ, please don't call my honesty into question esp over a comment I REPORTED rather than made myself.  Apology please?

AZOffaly

Quote from: In the Onion Bag on May 10, 2009, 11:25:46 PM

AZ, please don't call my honesty into question esp over a comment I REPORTED rather than made myself.  Apology please?

I wasn't questioning your honesty :D Iwas just saying your (reported) comment was wrong.

Owenmoresider

Quote from: muppet on May 10, 2009, 05:12:58 PM
Jinxy,

or

Though the Mayo reps of last year might have a view on it from their now-Junior perspective. :P

45goneshort - you a Dromahair man yourself? We played them a few times a few years back when they were in Connacht. They are definitely going well in the league, a big change from before. Maybe could they upstage the neighbours in the Championship?

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: Jinxy on May 10, 2009, 06:19:44 PM

For the first time in 28 years no less, seemed to give them that extra something to get them across the line.

Bumped into them over the Christmas, mentioned that they must have been disappointed with the year ending like it did. Your man looked at me like I had two heads what with them winning the Celebrity Bainisteoir and the Intermediate Championship till I mentioned the "Christmas Special", he saw the funny side. Just my TF moment for the day...
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

muppet

Quote from: Owenmoresider on May 11, 2009, 01:26:46 PM
Quote from: muppet on May 10, 2009, 05:12:58 PM
Jinxy,

or

Though the Mayo reps of last year might have a view on it from their now-Junior perspective. :P

45goneshort - you a Dromahair man yourself? We played them a few times a few years back when they were in Connacht. They are definitely going well in the league, a big change from before. Maybe could they upstage the neighbours in the Championship?

He was talking about the teams that won it.
MWWSI 2017

Owenmoresider

Quote from: muppet on May 11, 2009, 05:39:06 PM
Just noticed that now, hadn't paid any heed to the 'win' bit, it did seem that some of those that participated last year did fare badly, and in Kiltimagh's case, very badly.

And given that we only could go on one previous, that being Maryland, he is wrong. Will be interesting to see how Glasdrumman get on now for the rest of the year.

muppet

Quote from: Owenmoresider on May 11, 2009, 06:10:53 PM
Quote from: muppet on May 11, 2009, 05:39:06 PM
Just noticed that now, hadn't paid any heed to the 'win' bit, it did seem that some of those that participated last year did fare badly, and in Kiltimagh's case, very badly.

And given that we only could go on one previous, that being Maryland, he is wrong. Will be interesting to see how Glasdrumman get on now for the rest of the year.

It's the taking part that counts.
MWWSI 2017