The Premier League relegation thread.

Started by Ping Pong Santa, April 18, 2009, 11:30:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hound

Quote from: Ping Pong Santa on May 23, 2009, 05:59:03 PM
The Guardian did an excellent thing recently called 'The Seven Deadly Sins of Football'. Anyway, I read their 'Greed' edition and just fished it out here to add to the debate on Shearer:

"The Shearer Clause
Premier League footballers earn a considerable amount of money. But like many people, players often measure themselves not by how much they get paid, but by how much their colleagues are getting. This is perhaps the reason why Tyneside legend Alan Shearer reportedly had a clause in his contract during his time at St James' Park that would maintain his position as the highest-paid player at Newcastle United no matter what sum the Magpies agreed to pay new arrivals, such as the big money Dutch underachiever Patrick Kluivert. Little wonder, then, that Super Al always looked so pleased being Super Al."
Keane had a similar clause put in after one of his contract extensions with United.
I think JT and Fat Frank have similar at Chelsea, and I am sure there are many others.

longrunsthefox

Maybe I'm twisted but I love the last day of the season when they show supporters crying in the stand and usually a Da with his arm around his wee son while the players figure out how to get away from the club back into the Premiership. Hope it is Newcastle-that would be great craic...  whyayeman

Ping Pong Santa

Quote from: longrunsthefox on May 24, 2009, 12:18:20 PM
Maybe I'm twisted but I love the last day of the season when they show supporters crying in the stand and usually a Da with his arm around his wee son while the players figure out how to get away from the club back into the Premiership. Hope it is Newcastle-that would be great craic...  whyayeman

I think I might be just as twisted.

Ping Pong Santa

Hull 1-0 down to United, class goal from Gibson. Come on Boro!

Ping Pong Santa

Uh Oh!

Newcastle 1-0 down. Very unlucky deflection.

Boro 1-0 down, theres no way back for them.

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: noeldebrun on May 24, 2009, 04:40:16 PM
villa just scored newcastle could be going down

Deflection off Duff unfortunately, feel sorry for Duff
You'll Never Walk Alone.

mountainboii

Boro, Newcastle and Hull all losing. f**k they are three shite teams. There should be a special resolution to relegate the lot of them

longrunsthefox

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on May 24, 2009, 04:43:02 PM
Quote from: noeldebrun on May 24, 2009, 04:40:16 PM
villa just scored newcastle could be going down

Deflection off Duff unfortunately, feel sorry for Duff

I'm $ure he give$ a fiddler'$ about you ...

slow corner back

Quote from: AFS on May 24, 2009, 04:47:30 PM
Boro, Newcastle and Hull all losing. f**k they are three shite teams. There should be a special resolution to relegate the lot of them
At the minute hull will survive with 35 points surely the lowest total ever to survive. Shows just how crap the lower end of the table have been

Ping Pong Santa

Quote from: slow corner back on May 24, 2009, 05:13:03 PM
Quote from: AFS on May 24, 2009, 04:47:30 PM
At the minute hull will survive with 35 points surely the lowest total ever to survive. Shows just how crap the lower end of the table have been

Surprisingly not, in 'the Great Escape' of 2005 West Brom survived with 34 points.

mountainboii

Aye, poor Boro definitely gone now. Newcastle still only need a single goal, gonna make for an exciting finish in that game.

pintsofguinness

Newcastle downt look like  they've much fight.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: pintsofguinness on May 24, 2009, 05:31:41 PM

Was thinking the same thing myself,ya think they be busting a gut trying to get a goal but they don't look interested
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Ping Pong Santa

Quote from: pintsofguinness on May 24, 2009, 05:31:41 PM

Definitely not, the majority of them have got to be thinking that they'll all be playing Premier League football next year anyway? That kind of attitude is bound to be damaging.

As someone said on BBC website, 'Owen to miss a sitter that could keep Newcastle up, no fairytales this year'.

mountainboii