Match Attendances

Started by Oakleafer93, April 17, 2009, 08:49:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Son_of_Sam

Quote from: Zulu on May 22, 2009, 06:46:21 PM
QuoteYou can't expect 32, 25,000 seater stadiums -its not economically viable. I see what you're saying but its not realistic.

Ah well I know that Indiana and I agree we shouldn't have 32 Thomond Parks but we have what we have now so we should look to improve some of them to a higher a standard. In saying that the stadiums that I have been to aren't bad and like Rossfan says you're there to watch a match and I've never been to a stadium anywhere in the world that had anymore than sufficient facilities. I just can't understand how anyone wouldn't want to attend their county's championship game, there are so few, they are reasonably priced and few matches are a serious distance from home.

What about McHale Park, Castlebar, Irelands biggest All-Seater stadium  ;)

Jinxy

Lads, if you won't go to watch your county in championship action on a day like this, when will you go?
I'm off out to the back garden to kick a ball against the garage wall for a while!
The summer starts here. ;D
If you were any use you'd be playing.

FermPundit

Tipperary, recently crowned Division 3 champions and only 4,673 people could be bothered to turn up at Semple stadium today.
We'll win Ulster some day, not sure when.

Oakleafer93

Anyone know attendance of Derry Monaghan game?

FermPundit

Quote from: Oakleafer93 on May 24, 2009, 08:01:03 PM
Anyone know attendance of Derry Monaghan game?

Around 10,500 I think I heard today
We'll win Ulster some day, not sure when.

Onlooker

Quote from: FermPundit on May 24, 2009, 07:56:57 PM
Tipperary, recently crowned Division 3 champions and only 4,673 people could be bothered to turn up at Semple stadium today.
All Under 16's were admitted free, so there was certainly more people than the official figure in the attendance.

ExiledGael

Quote from: Onlooker on May 24, 2009, 09:33:27 PM
All Under 16's were admitted free, so there was certainly more people than the official figure in the attendance.

Was impressed at the crowd in Celtic Park today. Jammed where I was on terraces, certainly thought it was nearer 15,000.

orangeman

Quote from: ExiledGael on May 24, 2009, 10:27:24 PM
Quote from: Onlooker on May 24, 2009, 09:33:27 PM

Was impressed at the crowd in Celtic Park today. Jammed where I was on terraces, certainly thought it was nearer 15,000.

Aye but only 10,000  paid in.

laoisgaa

12,356 in O'Moore Park, Portlaoise for Wicklow-Longford and Kildare-Offaly

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: laoisgaa on May 24, 2009, 10:31:07 PM

3,000 per county is really poor especially when you consider that Kildare would be regarded as one of the better supported teams in the country.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

bingobus

Quote from: Tyrone Dreamer on May 22, 2009, 11:49:59 PM
Quote from: bingobus on May 22, 2009, 04:30:45 PM
The prices won't be my gripe at all bar the children prices. Its a free choice and isn't bad value if you get down for the minor match. The facilities you pay into is a bigger issue and service you get in them but thats another issue.

In relation to soccer, I pay about stg£35 when I watch liverpool, so its not stg60 unless you go to chelsea. For that I can buy hot food, drinks of a wide choice, have a bet, take a shit in comfort and will be guaranteed to be dry coming out after it unless I'm very front rows. Plus the game itself will be 20 minutes longer  ;)

So you can pay £35 to watch Liverpool and are happy for the money to go back to millionaire soccer players. But £13 to go to Derry (with no flight costs) is too expensive and your not happy with the ticket prices even though the money goes back into the gaa. Also the fact that your county on average will play around 3-4 championship games a year compared to Liverpools 50 still doesnt make it worthwhile. What do you want from the gaa? Some people wouldnt be happy if they were getting lifted from their front door and into the game for free, they'd still find something to complain about.

Can you read? I have highlighted the bit where I said I have no gripe with the prices  ???

AZOffaly

Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on May 25, 2009, 12:27:01 AM

3,000 per county is really poor especially when you consider that Kildare would be regarded as one of the better supported teams in the country.

It seemed like there was more than that there yesterday. Portlaoise can hold nearly 35,000. There was a good crowd outside before the games, and I'd have guessed more like 18,000, but it's hard to judge sometimes when you are in the crowd yourself.

INDIANA

I would have said that was a fairly decent crowd for 3 out of the 4 counties wouldn't have huge support as all are at a low ebb. I thought the Derry V Monaghan was a very small crowd considering the pedigree of the counties involved -ie both top 8 teams.

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: AZOffaly on May 25, 2009, 10:11:27 AMIt seemed like there was more than that there yesterday. Portlaoise can hold nearly 35,000. There was a good crowd outside before the games, and I'd have guessed more like 18,000, but it's hard to judge sometimes when you are in the crowd yourself.

Definitely seemed like there was more than 12,000 there alright. The stand was only 3/4s full maybe but it was fairly tightly packed where I was on the terrace.

We haven't really had a massive support since the late 90s and early 00s, most of Micko's bandwagon brigade have dropped away. In fairness though, I'd say the Kildare crowd there yesterday outnumbered the other three counties combined. The terrace was at least 2/3s Kildare but the stand was more evenly distributed. Still though, I suppose only maybe 7 or 8 thousand Kildare fans is poor enough considering Maryborough is easily accessible within an hour from most parts of the county.

The Offaly turnout was very poor. All I'd been hearing all week from Biffos I know was how they were quietly confident of an upset and that the team had really been flying in training. It was surprising that so few of them bothered to travel if that was the case.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Gnevin

Quote from: Rossfan on May 22, 2009, 05:03:26 PM
Quote from: bingobus on May 22, 2009, 04:30:45 PM

In relation to soccer, I pay about stg£35 when I watch liverpool, . For that I can buy hot food, drinks of a wide choice, have a bet, take a shit in comfort and will be guaranteed to be dry coming out after it unless I'm very front rows. Plus the game itself will be 20 minutes longer  ;)

Dont forget 90 minutes of total boredom from 22 lads earning 2 years pay every week compared to 70 minutes of entertainment from ordinary lads giving their all for their parish/village/town/district/county or whatever.
When I go to a game I go to see the game. If I want to bet I can go to a bookies.If I want to ate or have a hot drink I'll go to a restaurant and will always try and ensure I've moved my bowels before the game. If I want a wide choice of drinks I'll go the thoul' pub when I get home.
Agree and I've been up and down the country and I've never  been to ground where I couldn't get these in the Ground apart from the pint . Now they mightn't be 5 star but the option is there and you'd have more on here moaning if we all had too spend 40 into Ground just so some people could avail of prawn sandwiches
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.