Quote from: aroundincircles on April 22, 2009, 10:44:27 PM
According to local paper 

NHL

LAST WEEK

Tyronev louth
Approx attendence 85

Shocking...

rootthemout

totally agree rrhf,as a man with two kids involved in club football with clubs getting it harder to generate funds find myself suppoerting more club fundraisers,have no problemwith this as without our clubs we have no gaa,butkids looking to go to championship games along with the missus,getting costly day out and although always been a good county supporter as well and with work and money alot tighter at the minute seriously thinking off missing county games this year,gaa seriously need to look at ticket prices,because the club will get my money before the county and id say this is the case with alot of families this year.

donelli

The problem with ticket prices are that the people who determine the prices never pay into a gaa match, be it club or county level.

The county board and ulster gaa administrators always get free passes into the games. They also have free tickets for their families at the county games.

Even down to club level they dont (actually refuse) to pay in.
i have been on the gate at our club for league games, where county board heads produce a card that allows them free entry to the league games. Cant say thats right. even when i'm doing the gate, i pay in!! it is only a €5.

If these lads had to pay for their family in, the true cost of the tickets would only then hit home.

No family tickets for this sunday's monaghan derry championship game is a disgrace.

bingobus

Never seen as much disinterest in travelling to a championship game before, although Blayney was never a hotbed of Monaghan support really.

Probably to do with the cost and more so the negative publicity about it. When the County came out and said the prices where dear and unfair, they signed their own death knell on that one.

Also, as its on telly I'm sure alot will do with that.

Not travelling myself, first time in years I'll miss a match. Just not interested to be honest, hope they win and that but just don't feel excited about it to make the effort when I can watch it on Telly.

Rossfan

Will you be the first to complain if you can't get a ticket for the Ulster or All Irel final?  ;)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Jinxy

Quote from: bingobus on May 22, 2009, 10:38:06 AM
Never seen as much disinterest in travelling to a championship game before, although Blayney was never a hotbed of Monaghan support really.

Probably to do with the cost and more so the negative publicity about it. When the County came out and said the prices where dear and unfair, they signed their own death knell on that one.

Also, as its on telly I'm sure alot will do with that.

Not travelling myself, first time in years I'll miss a match. Just not interested to be honest, hope they win and that but just don't feel excited about it to make the effort when I can watch it on Telly.

Indeed.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Zulu

Jesus, I'd love to save some of the posts made in the last week or two and reproduce them when I hear some of these posters go on about how special the GAA is and how we follow the jersey and not the players (the next time professionalism is raised). Your county plays (maybe) a half a dozen championship games in a year and of those only two or three might be against a top team, yet we have lads saying they couldn't be bothered about going to Dublin/Meath and Monaghan/Derry. Ye should be ashamed of yerselves IMO, the same lads demand serious effort from their players yet they couldn't be bothered their holes going to the game.

P.S. Can people stop complaining about the shaggin price of a ticket, €25 is very reasonable for top class live sport, I didn't hear anyone complain about the price of a ticket to the Mun/Lein rugby game. It's not like the money isn't going back into teh GAA, some of which has gone or will go to your club.

bingobus

Quote from: Zulu on May 22, 2009, 01:22:38 PM
Jesus, I'd love to save some of the posts made in the last week or two and reproduce them when I hear some of these posters go on about how special the GAA is and how we follow the jersey and not the players (the next time professionalism is raised). Your county plays (maybe) a half a dozen championship games in a year and of those only two or three might be against a top team, yet we have lads saying they couldn't be bothered about going to Dublin/Meath and Monaghan/Derry. Ye should be ashamed of yerselves IMO, the same lads demand serious effort from their players yet they couldn't be bothered their holes going to the game.

P.S. Can people stop complaining about the shaggin price of a ticket, €25 is very reasonable for top class live sport, I didn't hear anyone complain about the price of a ticket to the Mun/Lein rugby game. It's not like the money isn't going back into teh GAA, some of which has gone or will go to your club.

As if!!!

If I don't want to go and see my County play, its my decision. I've barely missed matches over the years but this year I haven't attended cause I have a young family and all my spare time goes to the club. Club first and second for me. I'll be at our Junior B game this evening, U14 game tomorrow and Junior C match on Monday evening (having to arrange a babysitter to do so).

I'll not have some Internet warrior say I should be ashamed of themself cause I'm not bothered to go to a county match. They can f**k off for all I care.

And yes, if monaghan reach the All-Ireland I'll get a ticket. If the club treasurer can't get one who can  ;)  ;D

donelli

I'm going Sunday!! i have only missed 2 championship games in the last 25 years, so i'd follow monaghan all over.
€25 isnt that bad for me. But i do have a job and i am going on my own. I can see it being a strain if you have to bring the partner and kids though. no family tickets were offered for this which is a huge mistake.

Zulu

Quote from: bingobus on May 22, 2009, 02:12:32 PM

As if!!!

If I don't want to go and see my County play, its my decision. I've barely missed matches over the years but this year I haven't attended cause I have a young family and all my spare time goes to the club. Club first and second for me. I'll be at our Junior B game this evening, U14 game tomorrow and Junior C match on Monday evening (having to arrange a babysitter to do so).

I'll not have some Internet warrior say I should be ashamed of themself cause I'm not bothered to go to a county match. They can f**k off for all I care.

And yes, if monaghan reach the All-Ireland I'll get a ticket. If the club treasurer can't get one who can  ;)  ;D

So what if you go to club games and are you telling me your club has never got funding from the GAA? You also said your not interested and the game was on TV, fair enough, but you didn't mention family etc. so don't pull it now, it's your decision but internet warriors like yourself who complain about your county team and management on forums like this but can't be bothered going to their games annoy the hell out of me. Fair enough you've gone to most games in the past but I can't understand how any Monaghan GAa man wouldn't get behind his team, especially when you have a competitive team. Jesus, like I say there's only a few games every year, so I can't understand why anyone would miss those games except for the best of reasons.

QuoteI'm going Sunday!! i have only missed 2 championship games in the last 25 years, so i'd follow monaghan all over.
€25 isnt that bad for me. But i do have a job and i am going on my own. I can see it being a strain if you have to bring the partner and kids though. no family tickets were offered for this which is a huge mistake.

I can see your point but the GAA have offered far better deals for supporters than either soccer or rugby and they have increased the number of family tickets for this years championship. It's just getting a bit tiring hearing fellas bitch and moan about the GAA, when they are doing a reasonable job, to listen to some fellas it is clear they wouldn't be happy unless the game was played in their back garden while Christ Cooney provided a constant supply of tea and fig rolls to them.

bingobus

Zulu don't f**king well start giving it the big one "I'm the real GAA man, you're not". You know f**k all about the GAA and my club and the dealings we've had with them in past and more recent past. I could write a book on the GAA and money and thats only from the last 3 years i've been involved.

In a year a club will get nothing from the GAA, other thing close is player injury accident scheme. The club actually pay up to the county board in fee's, insurance etc. Any money we'd get is from games help in our grounds.

Maybe the reason I complain about the county board, team management has resulted in my lack of interest? The lack of interest can stem from many reasons. I don't agree with many of the policies and treatment of the county board/senior team management. I'll still watch the game and hope they win, the players deserve it and my support.

I'd consider myself a GAA man but that doesn't mean I am obliged to watch my county in person. If every GAA person in Derry and Monaghan where to attend on Sunday, the ground wouldn't hold them all and you could take this for any county in Ireland.

If I, or anyone, put 30 hours a week in with their club and then watches the county team on the telly does that make them less of a GAA than some young buck who never misses a county match but couldn't tell you a club player in his town. There is plenty like this and if you can't see that you are fooling yourself. I know ex-county players who barely go to county matches after they have finished playing.

There is no checklist that makes you a GAA man or not. To me the GAA is about the club and the county is a bonus.

Rossfan

Quote from: bingobus on May 22, 2009, 03:24:06 PM
If every GAA person in Derry and Monaghan where to attend on Sunday, the ground wouldn't hold them all and you could take this for any county in Ireland.

Say 40 clubs in each County and say 250 "GAA persons" in each = 10,000.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

bingobus

Quote from: Rossfan on May 22, 2009, 03:30:00 PM
If every GAA person in Derry and Monaghan where to attend on Sunday, the ground wouldn't hold them all and you could take this for any county in Ireland.

Say 40 clubs in each County and say 250 "GAA persons" in each = 10,000.

My point is what classes you as a GAA person. From an U8 up to senior committee and everyone else in between? Even at 40 clubs and an average of 250 (which is modest) thats 20,000 without the "non-Gaa persons". I think you'll be lucky to get 15,000 on sunday. The opening of celtic park may help rise it to this figure.

Zulu

Zulu don't f**king well start giving it the big one "I'm the real GAA man, you're not". You know f**k all about the GAA and my club and the dealings we've had with them in past and more recent past. I could write a book on the GAA and money and thats only from the last 3 years i've been involved.

In a year a club will get nothing from the GAA, other thing close is player injury accident scheme. The club actually pay up to the county board in fee's, insurance etc. Any money we'd get is from games help in our grounds.

Maybe the reason I complain about the county board, team management has resulted in my lack of interest? The lack of interest can stem from many reasons. I don't agree with many of the policies and treatment of the county board/senior team management. I'll still watch the game and hope they win, the players deserve it and my support.

I'd consider myself a GAA man but that doesn't mean I am obliged to watch my county in person. If every GAA person in Derry and Monaghan where to attend on Sunday, the ground wouldn't hold them all and you could take this for any county in Ireland.

If I, or anyone, put 30 hours a week in with their club and then watches the county team on the telly does that make them less of a GAA than some young buck who never misses a county match but couldn't tell you a club player in his town. There is plenty like this and if you can't see that you are fooling yourself. I know ex-county players who barely go to county matches after they have finished playing.

There is no checklist that makes you a GAA man or not. To me the GAA is about the club and the county is a bonus.

First off easy up on the language there, if you can't post without doing so then you're not worth engaging with. Secondly I didn't give the "I'm the real GAA man, you're not" routine, I questioned why you and others aren't supporting your county team by going to this very big game. Thirdly every club in Ireland would have some complaints, it is espensive running clubs in this day and age so your club isn't unique in that respect. But that doesn't mean that the GAA doesn't give back a huge amount of the money it earns from championship games. You're right, I don't know much about your club but if yours is the exception to the ones that I do that about, well that's tough but it doesn't change the fact that the GAA gives a huge amount of financial assistance to it's clubs.

Nobody is obliged to watch their county team and yes, many who'll go to this game don't give much to the GAA on a day to day basis but how is that relevant? IMO every Monaghan and Derry GAA man should be at this game because it is important for the GAA in those counties and for the GAA nationally. I'll be at Tipp/Limerick in Thurles this Sunday along with maybe 5 - 6K others, that is a disgrace IMO and every GAA man from Limerick or Tipp that couldn't be bothered their ass to make the short trip to Thurles should be ashamed of themselves. We can all miss games for good reasons but the fact it is on TV, isn't one of them, if it is for you then fine. I didn't say it made you less of a GAA man, by the way, but I do think you are wrong to not make your way to Derry this Sunday.

Bogball XV

Quote from: Zulu on May 22, 2009, 03:56:14 PM

First off easy up on the language there, if you can't post without doing so then you're not worth engaging with. Secondly I didn't give the "I'm the real GAA man, you're not" routine, I questioned why you and others aren't supporting your county team by going to this very big game. Thirdly every club in Ireland would have some complaints, it is espensive running clubs in this day and age so your club isn't unique in that respect. But that doesn't mean that the GAA doesn't give back a huge amount of the money it earns from championship games. You're right, I don't know much about your club but if yours is the exception to the ones that I do that about, well that's tough but it doesn't change the fact that the GAA gives a huge amount of financial assistance to it's clubs.

Nobody is obliged to watch their county team and yes, many who'll go to this game don't give much to the GAA on a day to day basis but how is that relevant? IMO every Monaghan and Derry GAA man should be at this game because it is important for the GAA in those counties and for the GAA nationally. I'll be at Tipp/Limerick in Thurles this Sunday along with maybe 5 - 6K others, that is a disgrace IMO and every GAA man from Limerick or Tipp that couldn't be bothered their ass to make the short trip to Thurles should be ashamed of themselves. We can all miss games for good reasons but the fact it is on TV, isn't one of them, if it is for you then fine. I didn't say it made you less of a GAA man, by the way, but I do think you are wrong to not make your way to Derry this Sunday.
£13 for a child aged between 2 and 16 to stand in Celtic Park for a first round championship match is an absolute disgrace, end of.
€25 euro for an adult is a little more justifiable, but not much - the gaa are shooting themselves in the feet with this, it's bad publicity and attracts ill feeling towards the organisation.  I know of several people who (like Bingo) are heavily involved with their clubs, who are not going on sunday purely in protest at the prices - you might well argue that it's a futile protest, but that is their right, and eventually the ulster council will get the message.