Match day problem

Started by Mayo4Sam, April 15, 2009, 09:58:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mayo4Sam

Lads any ideas, so for this year my team has either been ahead or just 1 point behind at half time in every match. At the start of the second half we get blown out of the water, last nite it was 6 points before we got going again ourselves. Any ideas on what can be done at half time to keep the team on its toes?
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

Zapatista

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on April 15, 2009, 09:58:45 AM
Lads any ideas, so for this year my team has either been ahead or just 1 point behind at half time in every match. At the start of the second half we get blown out of the water, last nite it was 6 points before we got going again ourselves. Any ideas on what can be done at half time to keep the team on its toes?

Get a decent trainer. Your training methods might not be designed for football/hurling and be based on/taken from another sport. A good trainer should be able to adress this if it is the problem. Perhaps the management need to do more to keep motivation levels high for 60 minutes?

Zulu

I'd doubt very much it is a training problem, in fact I know it isn't, there isn't a simple solution to this, or anything that you can definitely do to prevent it happening in the future. You need to analyse the problem first before looking to implement a solution.

How many matches has this occured in, 2, 3, 10?

What standard are the opposition?

Have all the games been 'even steven' up to the first 10 minutes of the second half or were you lucky to be going in at half time a point up or down?

Are there leaders on your team?

Do you have a thrown in strategy to win possession and create a score or  kickout strategies that you employ to win you some possession especially if you're on the backfoot?

Are you and your teammates willing to take some reaponsibility and not look to others 'supposed' failings (trainers methods or mangements motivational techniques), if it happened once or twice I'd say one thing but if it's happening repeatedly then the players need to have a good long hard look at themselves.

Canalman

Mayo4Sam, I think your "problem" is the lack of leaders in key positions. Has your team introduced some garsĂșns into the team?..... have some lads regraded/retired?
Our club for example at Senior has never had the talent it has at the moment...... but is losing all its games by 1 or 2 points. The underage "stars" just aren't doing it for us ( unless you count "stylish" soloing into a corner ). The older lads were more cautious and generally gave the sensible pass .

Imo there is a reluctance amongst younger lads to pass the ball back when there is no pass on forward.

Hope it is of some help.

Katchit

Jaffa cakes solve everything, like cold water does whenever you have done your ankle ligaments.

mrsandman

Tell them there all playing dung and if they dont buck up their ideas they'll be on the sideline beside you/the manager, add a few curse words in as well and point your finger at a few boys.  Kick the water bottles as well..that always gets a good reaction. Give a few hair raising points..playing for the badge/family an all that, usually gets them up for the second half. None of that sitting down relaxing shite  :D :D 
Constipated People Don't Give A crap.

Mayo4Sam

its happened in all 6 of our games this yr & i wouldn't have said we were fortunate to be sticking with teams, training is geared towards football, not as intense as i'd like. Lacking leadership cld be the prob but we get back into it then when we're 7-8 points down and end up losing by 1-3. Need to work on a plan of what to do to minimise these periods & reduce of losses i suppose

GaillimhIarthair

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on April 15, 2009, 09:58:45 AM
I am going to assume your managing an age side M4S e.g. U-16.  If its happened a few times, young lads are probably expecting the worst and letting it happen at this stage.  Would suggest you work with the 2 midfielders on a tactic to win throw in's and also with the half backs and half forwards on the importance of winning breaking ball in the middle third, even simple stuff like getting themselves positioned between their man and any possible breaking ball.  Put a some variety into your own kickouts, maybe going short to your best ball winning half back occassionally.  

A bit of practice and I am sure it will be easily corrected.  Its not just problem with underage teams; Galway did it in most games in the league!  Hopefull we will have it sorted in time for the Connacht championship  ;)  

Katchit

First score in the second half is crucial, therefore winning the ball from the throw-in and working on tactics on how to do this might help. All about momentum building and sometimes small things like this can make a difference.

Mayo4Sam

unfortunately we're a fully grown junior outfit, with an ex donegal inter county man at midfield. Winning the first ball cld be vital alright & that we're expecting to lose. We got wiped out yesterday on breaks for those 10 minutes, the ball was in on top of the full back line non stop, any ball coming out was just passed away or we ran into trouble. 

David McKeown

Quote from: Katchit on April 15, 2009, 11:23:35 AM
Jaffa cakes solve everything, like cold water does whenever you have done your ankle ligaments.

Different sport admittedly but the u11 team I coach have the smae problem as mayo4Sam and we are starting to blame it on the Jaffa Cakes
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

the scenic route

management  is putting a big emhasis in our club on winning both throw ins this year

They feel if you dont win the throw up you are immediately on the back foot cos if they win it the ball usually ends up over the bar or wide with your keeper kicking the ball out putting pressure on the midfield to win that and get it out of your half otherwise your defence can be stuck with 5 minutes of pressure with the ball stuck in your own half and the tails are up with the other crowd leaving you chasing them for the rest of the game.
"Underneath that thin veneer of human civilisation, we're all just a bunch of fu*king animals"